Nissan XTerra Forum banner

How much to re-pack front wheel bearings

31K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Bklyn.X 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question ... How much do you think a reputable repair shop would charge to repack the front wheel bearings on both sides. Including a new seal?

Thanks!!

#5 ·
There is no reason to replace the bearings as long as they are ok, just repack and call it all good. I do mine several times a year just because I tend to spend a lot of time in water over the hubs. With the right tools it takes longer to clean up after the job than it takes to do them.

#6 ·
Some good information and advice. I appreciate that link and may try this myself next time. I don't have much for tools or a place to work on my X right now, (especially when snow is on the ground) but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

Anyway, here's why I'm asking. I took my X into a place because of a slow leak on my Pass side front tire, it turned out the wheel was very corroded inside and the seal was bad, so I had them remove all the tires and clean the wheels and re-seal them. While the tires were off they did an inspection and said the wheel bearings needed to be repacked. I decided to trust them and said go ahead since I was already in and they had the wheels off.

Well, they charged me $313.00 for the repacking and to replace the seals. Afterwards I started to wonder if I had been taken so I decided to ask here and do some research on line. I believe now I was. And it pisses me off, though it's after the fact and I can only use it as a learning experience.

I should have waited and researched first. Especially since I've found this forum and the wealth of information and help here.

#7 ·
My dealership only charges 140.00. Some repair shops are worse then dealerships now with their prices. For those of us that don't have the facility or tools to do it ourselves, you have to shop around and compare prices for the same job. So far my dealership has been cheaper then the auto repair shop that I was using.

#8 ·
Some good information and advice. I appreciate that link and may try this myself next time. I don't have much for tools or a place to work on my X right now, (especially when snow is on the ground) but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

Anyway, here's why I'm asking. I took my X into a place because of a slow leak on my Pass side front tire, it turned out the wheel was very corroded inside and the seal was bad, so I had them remove all the tires and clean the wheels and re-seal them. While the tires were off they did an inspection and said the wheel bearings needed to be repacked. I decided to trust them and said go ahead since I was already in and they had the wheels off.

Well, they charged me $313.00 for the repacking and to replace the seals. Afterwards I started to wonder if I had been taken so I decided to ask here and do some research on line. I believe now I was. And it pisses me off, though it's after the fact and I can only use it as a learning experience.

I should have waited and researched first. Especially since I've found this forum and the wealth of information and help here.
Next time just, ask is anyone nearby that is willing to lend a hand,I work a lot of crazy hours,but will lend you a hand,plus have the tools to get the job done .

#9 ·
Next time just, ask is anyone nearby that is willing to lend a hand,I work a lot of crazy hours,but will lend you a hand,plus have the tools to get the job done .
Hey, I really appreciate that!!! One thing I've noticed about this forum is that there are a lot of good people willing to help others out. That's awesome!

#10 ·
i am going to attempt to break my wheel packing virginity...feel bad for the x tho i have never done it in 2.5 year SORRY!!!! Well the advance auto 40% off thing right now really saved me a ton getting all the parts i need to do it!

#11 ·
in the instruction from the link posted, which by the way were great when I did mine, it recommends using the wheel bearing socket to seat the bearing correctly. Has anyone done it without this tool? or know a brick and mortar store to get but it at?

I repacked my bearings over the summer but didn't have the socket avaible so i'm thinking the bearing is not seated correctly. I took my car to nissan to get the steering column replace under the new recall that came out and they said the front wheels have play in them which i think is due to the bearings.

#13 ·
I thought I had read in one of the original how-to threads on repacking the bearings that the 4 prong socket isn't the same diameter that you need for the xterra. I think someone that did it ended up having to hammer the prongs inward to fit and it wasn't perfect.

#14 ·
sorry, I think I've been posting the same question in 2 separate wheel bearing threads.

I think I found it. Autozone has it, not in stock at the stores though, but if you order it over the phone through the store and pick it up there's no shipping. $15.99, doesn't specifically say it fits nissan but fits Honda Passport, Jeep J20 with the Dana 60 axle. Looks about the same as the one from autopart.com.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac..._/N-25kb?counter=4&itemIdentifier=110264_0_0_

#16 ·
New to the forum

I am about to replace the hubs on my 2001 xterra and wanted to repack and service the bearings while I was in there. I keep seeing this tutorial http://www.rkrenn.com/xterra/howto/bearing/bearing.htm referenced, the only problem is their is a 505 error and I can't find the tutorial anywhere. Would anyone on this thread have access to this? did you print it off or save it as a pdf, if so I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks

#17 ·
I am about to replace the hubs on my 2001 xterra and wanted to repack and service the bearings while I was in there. I keep seeing this tutorial http://www.rkrenn.com/xterra/howto/bearing/bearing.htm referenced, the only problem is their is a 505 error and I can't find the tutorial anywhere. Would anyone on this thread have access to this? did you print it off or save it as a pdf, if so I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks
If you want to bring your truck to Brooklyn I'll do this job for you and teach you how for a couple of slices and a beer.

#19 ·

Thanks
the link it says internal error. i want to my rear axle bearing

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#20 ·
where you at in brooklyn? steak and beer im willing. my x has clunk in the driverside rear axle, im thinking something wrong with the bearing. i did sign up for ECEC17 in raush creek but i have that problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
This thread is about repacking the front wheel bearings so when you say you have "clunk in the driverside rear axle" I'm not sure what we are talking about. I'm in Kensington

#22 ·
I'm not trying to be a wise ass or nothing but repacking our wheel bearings is a maintenance thing not a fix.
When a bearing is not maintained it normally grinds and/or sequels. At that point repacking them does not help, they need to be changed.
A clunk sounds like something other than a bad bearing.
When does the “clunk” happen?
Where is the “clunk” coming from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.