Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Cranks but wont start

61K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  dunn8104 
#1 ·
2004 Xterra 120000 miles, vg33e normally aspirated.

I had a knock sensor code for about a year, then I started getting a misfire code. So I changed the knock sensor. Had the upper and lower intake plenum off. I went ahead and changed plugs and wires and replaced the 3 injectors under the upper plenum. While it was down I replaced the evap canister vent valve because it was stuck and I was having problems putting gas in and I put new muffler on because the original was split in two. Got everything back together and it wont start. The engine turns over but doesn't fire at all. I have spark and fuel pressure to the rail but it doesn't seem to have any injector pulse. I checked all the fuses, all electrical connections, but I cant find anything......any input would be appreciated

#2 ·
Have you had your timing belt replaced?

If not...that's ALWAYS my first thought when a 3.3 will turn but not start.

Check for fuel. Check for spark. Did you mess with your dist. at all?

If not...my money is on timing belt. Cross your fingers you didn't bend any valves!

#3 ·
Thanks for the response, I changed the timing belt about 10000 miles ago with no problems. I have double checked the engine timing and it is good and all the plug wires are in the correct places. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and got one hell of a backfire back through the intake, so there is plenty of spark, plus its visible with a plug out. I have plenty of fuel pressure but it doesnt seem like my injectors are getting a signal to spray. I know that the pcm tells the injectors when to spray, and i think it relies on the cam sensor for that input, which I believe is in the distributor. I'm gonna check out some more wiring and look it over real good but I think its gonna get a distributor......unless anyone has any other ideas.

#4 ·
That would be my next guess. Have a helpre crank it over and see if your rotor spins

#6 ·
Bearing maybe?

You could rebuild the old one cheap, and probably make your money back!

#7 ·
I'm going through a similar problem as we speak. Car just randomly shuts down while I'm driving. Got the distributor replaced a few weeks ago, and my timing belt was changed about a year and a half ago. It only shuts down when the engine is heated up. My plugs and cables are all new as welk. It's cranks bit won't start. Any suggestions?

#9 ·
When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump turn on and when its cold is only when it starts. Once the engine heats up it just dies

#10 ·
I don't know but it sounds like a fuel problem to me, when it starts is it idling rough? When you hear the fuel pump do you have your ear to the gas cap or are you inside, there are some other things that come on and make noise when the key is on that can easily be mistaken for the fuel pump, I'm guilty of this myself. You can also break the line loose under the hood and see if fuel comes out when the key is on, I'm not sure what the pressure should be but it comes out really fast. If all that checks out I would probably still check the wiring to the pump, there should be an access panel under the back seat cushion that you can remove to take a look at it. Other than that there are still a lot of other things to consider, possibly the fuel pressure regulator, the idle air control solenoid, and the mass air flow sensor are the first things that come to mind....I would probably start with the MAF, just unplug it and see if it changes anything. Thats about all I got, hope you figure it out.

#11 ·
Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it on Sunday. What I really don't get it how i can drive 3 miles fine, and then it just shuts off. No rough idol or anything. But ill Deff take a look at all those things you mentioned

#12 ·
Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it on Sunday. What I really don't get it how i can drive 3 miles fine, and then it just shuts off. No rough idol or anything. But ill Deff take a look at all those things you mentioned
Sounds electrical, Tell me do you have a amp meter on that cap? What type of amp output are you getting from your alternator?

#14 ·
i checked everything and nothing seems to be wrong. it started to work for a few weeks and then it started again. i brought it to my mechanic and he said that theres nothing he can do without it actually stalling out on him like it does on me.
is it normal to hear a grinding noise coming from the fuel pump. my fuel pump is under the hood and i hear it kick on. idk if its actually working or not. a friend of mine suggested that there could be water in the line. idk how true that would be.

#16 ·
I think the sound you hear under the hood is your cruise control motor, a little black box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Thats why I said in an earlier post to put your ear to the gas cap. Still sounds like a fuel pump going out to me.When it stalls out on you are you on level ground or a hill, I've had fuel pumps (on other vehicles, not my xterra) that would be weak and not be able to pump gas to the engine when i stopped going up a hill, but be fine if i didnt stop or was on level ground.

#17 ·
I'm going through a similar problem as we speak. Car just randomly shuts down while I'm driving. Got the distributor replaced a few weeks ago, and my timing belt was changed about a year and a half ago. It only shuts down when the engine is heated up. My plugs and cables are all new as welk. It's cranks bit won't start. Any suggestions?
The whole dis? or just the cap and rotor? what brand of dis is in the truck? these trucks are very picky on that brand of dis you put in.

#18 ·
I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra that cranks but won't start has new timing belt, new crank sensor, new rotor and cap not sure what else to check on it I know it gets fuel bc have checked that as well anyone have an idea of what cold get it running all I have left to change is distributor itself

#19 ·
I’m in the same dam boat right now .
I just put a 2002 Xterra motor that was wrecked so I’m pretty sure it ran .! in my 04 Frontier . And had to go without the EGR because the 2002 does not have EGR and now it will not run . It has a new crank position sensor , sensor ,Throttle position sensor, new timing belt everything an I no 100 that’s it’s in timing . And the distributor that came out of that other motor that was running but just had Spun the crank bearings . I have spark have Fuel. Tried three other distributors that I’ve had from junk yard trips . If you figure yours out I’d love to hear what it was .!!