Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Squealing/screeching noise

16K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oharag 
#1 ·
I searched Google for the following issue that I am having with my 2005 Xterra Off Road -5 sp -(165K):

I replaced the serpentine about 2-3 years ago. I do not know if this caused an issue - though I started to get screeching/squealing noise during acceleration. I have been told it may be the clutch bearing - though this noise occurs when the gear is in neutral - no clutch depressed - and I rev the engine. It occurs during acceleration during driving. Sometimes it goes away during driving. It's usually there all the time.

I thought it was the timing belt - so I had it replaced again. I was told the belt was messed up (aftermarket - bought most likely from Autozone). When the belt was installed I thought it cleared up the issue. Though it started to creep back and become more prominent. I then decided to replace the belt tensioner. Still the noise is there. I'm worried it's a bearing somewhere in the serpentine loop. I read some TSB from Nissan (and I believe it is old) that you need to evaluate the power steering pulley bracket location due to rubbing - or replace the belt/tensioner.

Anyone else have this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had the vehicle in for evaluation - though no one has a proposed solution.

Thanks

Jerry

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the club! And oh man that's going to be difficult to pin down.

So you've got a manual tranny, it has a relatively new serpentine belt, timing belt, and tensioner. The noise did go away after replacing the timing belt, but only for a short time. The noise occurs when revving the engine regardless of what gear it's in.

How long ago was the first time you noticed this noise?

When I hear a squeal the serpentine belt is the first place I typically look. I try tightening up the belt to see if that effects it all. If the noise changes then it's related to the belt system, if not look elsewhere.

The serpentine belt will make terrible squeals if it's slipping on the pulleys but it's usually most apparent when the vehicle first starts up, and then quiets down after a moment. A more constant squeal could indicate one of the pulleys is failing. Perhaps the baring on a pulley has given out and is causing the wheel to grind. That happened an older car of ours and we ended up getting metal shavings in the AC system from the compressor that way.

#3 ·
Wait wait, what year of X do you actually have? It says 2005 but 5 speeds and timing belts only came on 2000-2004.

#4 ·
Unless he is outside the US. There was another user some time back that had an 05, but is still a 1st gen.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry I meant serpantine belt - not timing belt. I have a 2005 OR - metal timing chain. I understand if it's a timing chanin issue - ther eis a grinding noise not squealing.

The noise is still there. I will investigate the power sterring bracket issue.

I know have an issue with leaking rear seals - aanyone having htese issues - squealing in motor area - or leaky rear seals?

I have seen other posts concerning issues with the rear drive train/axle. Nothing with squealling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.