Nissan XTerra Forum banner

good tire size on 2 inch BL

Tags
biggest
7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mudhawg1 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2001 xterra yesterday.Im thinking about 2 inch BL to fit bigger tires.are 33' mud tires the biggest to keep good accelration.and how much trimming is needed.also is the front and rear both lifted with the 2 inch BL KIT.

#2 ·
Last question first. Yes, the 2" BL lifts the whole body up 2" off of the frame.

If you are hoping to maintain good acceleration, a mud terrain is not going to be a good choice. The much more aggressive tread pattern comes at a price of increased rolling resistance and are typically much heavier than an all-terrain or road tire. Both of these factors will hurt both your acceleration and mpg's.

You can fit up to a 33" tire but you, at a minimum, will have to cut most all of the plastics behind the front wheels. I also cut 1" of sheet metal as well for mine to fully clear. BUT... I also run a 12.50" wide tire on a rim with a shorter backspacing than the factory alloys.

#3 ·
I personally run a PML and a 2" BL and I fit 33" tires with 60% of my flex only having to cut off the down bend in my mudflaps. pretty much the mudflap is whole. Anytime you go larger tire + Mud tire your acceleration is going to go down the crapper.

Here is mine

It is running 33X12.50 R16

#4 ·
Skys what's the actual size on your tires?

#6 ·
That is the actual size 33X12.50 R16 which is equivalent to 305/70 R16 I think
Are you sure on that? Interco doesn't list the thornbird being made in a 12.50 for a 16" rim. Only 11.50.

Wasn't looking it up for that reason though, I wanted to see the true size of the tire. Companies rarely produce a tire that is the size stated. This is what causes a lot of differences between what someone had to trim. For example, the thornbird tsl is 32.4" in diameter. I believe the ssr is close to 34". Yet both are stamped a 33".

Just something to keep in mind.

#7 · (Edited)
Oh, I thought you were asking about the Rocky Peak Falcons Drake. my bad. The rocky peak Falcons were/are 33X12.50 R 16.

The Thornbirds are in fact 33 X11.50 R16. Regarding the Thorn birds I actually found the X cannot run effectively with the stock backspacing. I did not have a rubbing problem with the actual size of the thornbird because as drake stated they were smaller slightly.
They are As drake stated 32.4". I did however have a HUGE issue with the "knobs" that protrude from the side of the tire/ They actually rubbed the .... Steering knuckle/Control arm if I recall correctly. When I would be in about 70% turn and start a slow acceleration the steering knuckle would rip the knobs off the sides. I think before I finally replaced them they had like 1/4 the knobs left on the side.

To sum it all up the tires on now in the first picture needed a little bit of trimming of the mudflaps and an adjustment to the steering stops to correct for my loss of turn radius. Once done I only get rubbing when roughly at a 45 Degree turn while at 25% compression(small hill/Driveway) and it is VERY SLIGHT and ONLY AT roughly 45 degrees and when the vehicle is moving straight and the suspension compresses about 60-75%(large speed bump/Large hill). I decided that I had no reason to cut the trim to heck quite yet as most of the small trails I do do not require that much articulation of the front wheels. Basically I compensate for it.

The Thornbirds required only a small tab being taken off the mudflap. The one that face up and has no real reason to be there. It did rub at like 75% Compression. It also Rubbed The steering knuckle/Control arm I do not remember which it rubbed on.

#8 ·
Didn't even notice the other tire. Lol. And I wasn't trying to call you out either. I just know from experience that interco tires vary in actual sizes more than any other I've seen. I didn't even think about those huge side lugs on thornbirds. Heck, with those, the tire was probably more like a 13.50. Lol

#9 ·
Ye, I know Drake we are all good. If you missed it he might have because the picture is VERY dark. I was also in a rush when I wrote the first post so I figured I would elaborate and provide additional information.

If I was in your position I would have asked the same question. Who knows maybe you wanted to buy one that size they are sexy. If it was not for the knobs and them being discontinued I would have probably bought a new set. They made the X look awesome in person.

#10 ·
That's what I fig.cant go real big i dont want overheating and clutch issues aswell.it'll be a daily driver around the country,backroads some interstate etc.I wasn't looking for a real aggressive meat like a spoon,interco,mudhawg more like a mainstream tire.probly a 285-75-16 or possibly 305 toyo mtr or buckshot.just don't want baby tires under the 2 inch BL. looking for rims aswell nothing real fancy.prefer black.and would like them to stick out a little ways from the fenders.any opinions/advice welcome.I've always had diesels and trucks this is my first short wheel base-suv type vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.