Nissan XTerra Forum banner

170,000 miles to much to buy?

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fishx 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2000 Xterra 4x4 with 170,000 miles for 4500. I will be using it for a daily driver mostly with using it to tow dirtbikes or quads and do some off-roading. I am looking for something reliable that I can keep for the next 3-4 years or so, and not have to put a lot into it besides mods ;). What do you guys think, or should I look for something with less miles?

#5 ·
170K....the engines just getting broke in....LOL

Grill the previous owner.

You will know a good X owner when you see one. They will know everything they did to their X.

Make sure they did the timing belt, ask when, where it was done...etc etc

How often they changed the oil....if they have receipts to show you etc etc

What problems have they had?

Did they change the spark plugs around 100K. etc etc etc

Just ask basic stuff....they will know and have receipts if they are good X owners.

#7 ·
Hello, Problem with high mileage Xterras? ...timing belts when the last change? and it due for another one when at 200,000 miles or early perfer..

Lots of wear a tear on the all parts..? Please check the brakes? ...belts,hoses, battery, radiators, last spark plug change..cause the NO 6 plug is so difficult to reach...!

Make sure owner did regular oil changes every 3,000 miles for the life of the Xterra?

Nissan parts are NOT cheap....

Aloha, ..just my opinion here..!

#11 ·
On the timing belt....I dont know where you live but where I am the dealer will charge you $1100 for the timing belt/tensioner/cam seals/waterpump, that was the cheapest dealer quote I got and they were all the same.

I would have done it myself if I were home in Cali but im in Boston with no garage, snow, and no tools :censor:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.