Nissan XTerra Forum banner

suspension popping from left front. Yes..I searched the site

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Enjyursins 
#1 ·
I tried searching and came across common issues with CV joints and ball joints, more particularly, the LBJ. I have the symptoms but there is absolutely 0 visible signs that I can see.

03 Xterra, NA V6, 4wd, automatic. stock except for 32" BFG's

Popping sound from left front while turning (either direction) almost 99% of the time. On occasion under braking both while turning as well as occasionally in a straight line. Slowly getting louder and driving me nuts!! It's a single pop then no other noises.

I've jacked the X up from both the frame as well as the lower A arm to try and replicate the problem while not driving while suspension is loaded and unloaded.

Testing: I've jacked it up, grabbed the wheel and tire @ 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock to check for free play...nothing. Grabbed it and 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, still no free play.
Pulled wheel off vehicle and can't find anything.

There is nothing that is shiny to indicate something loose and rubbing.

CV boots are 100% in tact with 0 rips or tears as are the upper and lower ball joint boots with 0 metal shavings around the joints.

Wheel bearings are greased and torqued to proper specs as well.

No cracked or chunked bushings in the a arms.

AHHH! driving me nuts trying to figure this out. Things going in the shop next week for the infamous RMS leak but the tech can't find exactly what the popping noise is. He thinks its the hub and since it's under warranty thats what he's going after, I disagree but whatever, it's under warranty and it's free to me.

Suggestions? opinions? I'm wondering if it's the ball joints that are destroying themselves internally and just have not gotten to the point of visible self destruction.

Sorry for all the info, would rather give too much then not enough.
Thanks!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
i would suspect the hub as well...

mine is doing a similar thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.