Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Antenna Fix Help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  intender 
#1 ·
I need to replace the antenna on my X but the base is bad. I went to remove the gold piece under the trim since it was striped and it won't budge. So I am thinking maybe the whole box for the antenna needs to come out. Where can I buy this? Or does anyone have experience?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
my experience is my antenna snapped off...

and i still hear the radio very clear around town...haven't replaced it since...lol

#3 ·
my experience is my antenna snapped off...

and i still hear the radio very clear around town...haven't replaced it since...lol
Well that's basically what happened but I have a replacement antenna already. The problem is that the part that hooks it to the base is damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
You can either keep working at getting the base out, or cheat and use one of those amplified window mount antennas (I've used them a lot in the past and they work fine). Metra as well as others make them.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metra-44UA200-Univ-Glass-Amplfd/dp/B0007WRQ8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353364067&sr=8-6&keywords=glass+mount+FM+antenna[/ame]

#5 · (Edited)
I had an old car that had the antenna spap off. Well actually somebody was nice enough to snap it off while I was in a parking lot, but atleast they threw the antenna on the ground.

not sure how the xterra one mounts, but on that car, the antenna had the female connector and the base was the male. I took the base found a stainless screw that was the same thread pattern as the antenna, took the base off and drilled a hole in it and used a tap to thread the hole for the screw. I put a bolt on the antenna all the way up against the head and screwed it into the antenna until it was as tight as it would go. I had about 3/8" worth of threads left. then I used a dremel to cut the head off the screw and then took the nut off. the nut was on there to so that it would clean up the threads on the end you cut off as you were removing it. then I just screwed the antenna back into the newly drilled and threaded base. The base on that car was aluminum so it drilled out really easy and the metal was about 1/4 thick so it was enough to hold the screw in place without worrying about it bending and breaking off too easily.

Ignore everything I said, I looked at it today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.