Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Lowering Spare Tire

43K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  WashOut 
#1 ·
Hey all,

New to the forum and tried searching about this, but nothing came up. Pretty basic question and feel ignorant about asking. I know to lower the spare tire you need to put in the T-shaped portion of the jack tool above the license plate, but how can you see where that T-shaped portion is supposed to fit in? I was messing around with it for about 30 minutes and cannot find it. Does anyone have pictures of what I am looking for? Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to learning more from the forum.

S

#2 ·
u needa get a flashlight.. look inside n you'll see it. its pretty much just straight ahead. nissan Effed up on this design. they needa have atleast a tube to guide it in. its just way to hard to feel for it.

#5 ·
Here you go

There definitely is some finesse to it.

#8 ·
Make sure the t-part is all the way in before turning it; I managed to bend one of the sides. The metal is too thin to bend back w/o breaking it.

#10 ·
Cut the tire down and buy a Shrock.

#12 ·
its in the cargo area behind my back seats. if you look under the carpet there is some d ring things you can tie stuff down too. i got a ratchet strap and went across on an angle and got it mostly centered over. it dosnt move around at all. im going to build my rear tire carrier. a lot of people do it. to save on money.

#13 ·
Jon, I'll give you 10 bucks a month for a shrock for as long as it takes to pay off, plus 100 bucks interest.

#16 · (Edited)
I found the bent t-shaped rod. It's called Rod-Jack Handle (99613), available from Nissan Parts Zone for $4. http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page...alse&goBack=True&SectionNo=N&ComponentsNo=995

But don't order from these guys. Find the part from your dealer or another online parts company. It is not worth the lower advertised price. I originally ordered it and they shipped me the wrong part. I returned the part (ended up paying shipping costs, which was actually more than the cost of the part) so the part could be entered into the RMA. I was never given a shipping credit. After countless e-mails and phone calls, I finally found someone to discuss the issue with. They eventually routed me to technical who confirmed that it was a catalog error on their end. (This is after days of back-and-forth). They finally sent me the t-rod later but of course lied about the shipping arrival day. I was supposed to get the part on Monday for a cross-country trip I had planned. Received the part 4 days later than as promised. Bottom-line, don't use these guys. This was the biggest headache in internet purchasing I've ever had.

#17 ·
I had a flat and used the spare. After getting the new tire I cranked the spare back under the truck. I guess I didn't have the T-Rod in all the way at some point. The plastic "funnel" to the tire crank got bent and will not allow me to get the T-Rod out. I checked beneath the truck and everything is covered by metal. Outside of cutting the rod how do I get the rod out now? Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.