Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Roof basket / rack

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tsunami 
#1 ·
Y'all:

One of the next items on my list is a roof basket / rack to mount onto the stock roof rails. I'd like to keep the stock rails rather than replace the whole rack with a basket. So far my only two options are the Thule M.O.A.B. and the bolt-together rack from 4x4parts. I plan to either bolt or strap down a spare up there, and have the standard attachments.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? The Thule would accept all my other Thule attachments, but the bolt-together rack LOOKS like it will give me twice as much cargo space.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am unsure if anybody has done this for a first gen but did you consider fabricting a drop in roof basket that would fit between the stock roof rails ???
I forgot about Hep's basket...thanks Dave!

I could do everything I wanted with that. Hold all the standard accessories (Hi-Lift, shovel, axe, spare tire, gas cans) and I could maybe fit into my garage.

#5 ·
I have a Surco safari basket that takes up the entire flat portion of the factory rails. It does add a lot of height to it to but I love it.

It screws together and is very rigid....also made in the USA. The clamps that hold it to the factory rails are pricy as well as the attachments but I figured I'll make those myself when I need them.

#6 ·
I built a drop in roof rack out of 3cm square stock (Here everything is metric, which made the measurements fun). I took out the stock basket and built the rack from the front of the factory rack (behind the air dam) all the way to the rear of the factory rack. I built the bottom part of the rack extending past the rear of the factory rack far enough so I could put a 5 gallon jerry can in it then built a extension off of the top part to wrap around the jerry can. I carry two spares when I go out and about because there is no AAA or tire shops once you get out side the city.

I have attached the pic of the test run before I painted it, but that is a full size spare, 5 gallon jerry can and 150qt cooler and if I wanted to I could get two coolers up there. I will try and get some pics uploaded later to show it.

However if you are building one of these I would suggest test fitting it often since there is a slight bend in the factory rack. Last thing you want to do is build a sturdy roof rack that doesn't conform to the factory rack and pull your factory rack out of the roof.

Attachments

#7 ·
@ Tay-Lo - I've seen those...I think I'm leaning more towards being able to fit into my garage :D

@ slightlywicked76 - Thanks for that suggestion. That's all the stuff I'm looking to carry. I'd be glad to see some more pictures of that thing, if you get a minute!

#8 ·
Jack Stilts - I have attached some pics. It isn't the prettiest thing since there is no powdercoating shop here and cheap spray-on paint and brush on rust inhibitor is all I could find. However, it works well. I have stood on it to load it and it has supported me (205lbs), the tire w/rim, 40lbs of gas and two large North Face Camping bags (est 85lbs). The most I have had on it while driving was est. 160-170lbs and the only thing that happened was the mounts from the drop in rack slid a little on the factory rack. And that was driving on 60KM of Congolese dirt roads, which are the equal to trail driving in the states. Since then I put truck topper tape between the factory rack and the drop in rack, no squeaks, no sliding.

The small compartment off of the back is for the jerry can. I also welded two loops on there so I could use one ratched strap to hold it down (one side is off-set a little for the jerry can nozzel).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.