Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Awful 'Grinding' Noise in Front

31K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Lyfe716 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new here but figured to see if any of you have had any similar problems to the one I am having now.

Anyway about 3 weeks ago my X started making this horrible racket in the front of the truck (sounds like front left wheel area) going around curves, bends, and turning. It seemed to be only doing that at slow speeds and when I picked up speed, especially on highway, the sound disappeared. As it progressed, the sound kept happening more frequently and kept sounding worse. Now it would occur going fast, slow, turning, and sometimes just driving on straight-aways. The sound seems to be a mix of a real, deep grinding noise in that front left tire area it seems to me and a bucket of bolts getting sloshed around rubbing against each other.

I took it into my mechanic, he rode around, heard the noise and was worried about even making it back to the shop it sounded so bad to him. He took a look and told me that one of the U-Joints on the back rear differential for the tires was corroded and basically not there. So he replaced that for me with a newer, lubed one and I drove the car off, no problems. However coming home from work it started making that horrible sound again (you know something is bad when you have drivers and passersby making faces at you as you are driving around in a car making that much racket).

So the past 1.5 weeks its been in the shop and everytime my mechanic drives it around it never makes that noise for him! But whenever I pick it up it starts up on my way home about 7 miles after I pick it up. Strange huh? Well he took the front wheels off and lifted the X up and he said everything looks tight, solid, and good. The only thing he said that may be the problem is that the wheel bearings look a little sloppy on the front left wheel so he would replace them to see if it solves the problem. I hope it does because this has been a month long ordeal and I just want my X to be fixed and not have to spend money on repairs for a while!

So yea basically I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem with their X and/or if anyone with some mechanical knowledge can put in any input to what you may think I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
If the bearing "looks sloppy" he should have done that first thing. It sounds like the symptoms of a failing wheel bearing to me. Once one or more of the bearings gets worn, they will deform and begin some of the most awful crunching, grinding sounds you will hear.

#4 ·
If the bearing "looks sloppy" he should have done that first thing. It sounds like the symptoms of a failing wheel bearing to me. Once one or more of the bearings gets worn, they will deform and begin some of the most awful crunching, grinding sounds you will hear.
yes that is an excellent description, a crunching grinding sound. Hopefully it will be done today and I can see if it was in fact a bad wheel bearing. I am a little frustrated my mechanic didnt think about checking it out first considering I told him what sound it was making. Oh well, at least he is not charging me for the labor the past few weeks. Thanks for your input guys!

#5 ·
Hey guys just an update... picked up my X tonight from the mechanics with the left wheel bearing and hub replaced and... SO FAR SO GOOD! after driving home from work and runnning a few various errands tonight, I have not heard that grinding/crunching noise. I am praying this repair fixes this problem for good and will be my last trip to the mechanics for a while! Thanks again guys.

#7 ·
I wonder if it was the hub or bearing.

#8 ·
Yea thanks yellowbug me too!

and xtacular I wonder the same thing. have you had any similar problems? he replaced both while he was down there but originally said the bearing looked sloppy so I'm not sure if he continued and saw something with the hub. anyways hope this is the fix that was needed, I will be looking forward to drive around without that awful grinding noise occurring constantly!

#9 ·
I had the same problem and it was the bearings since I replaced my hubs and it was still there so after replacing bearings, problem solved.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.