Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Steering Problems...

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ShiftingSkys 
#1 ·
Hi guys, recently I went on a one month vacation. When I got back and drove it I noticed something, when Im trying to park and steer the wheel on either direction I hear a squeak... checked under the hood and a friend says it's the "steering pump try putting wd40"..... now before I do that I wanna hear it from fellow Xterra owners...

Where should I start looking? Im trying to avoid going to the dealership...

Thanx in advance:huepf-big:

other problems I noticed:

1. When I start the X even at -0c temp the Engine temp is at "H"
2. Outside temp reading is inaccurate by 2c

2004 XterraSe

#2 ·
Need more info- when does it happen specifically, where does it sound like it's coming from, and what type of a sound is it?

#4 ·
I'm getting a similar whine when I turn right or left. Kinda like a "waaaaa" sound. I get a few seconds of a squeak when I start up. I put some belt dressing on yesterday but didn't help. I did put the dressing on with the motor off. Tried it with the motor on and it just blew back into my face.

So is this my power steering?

#6 ·
A noise like a waaaa like u describe is most likely a power steering pump either going bad or low fluid or being pushed to stopes, beltes usealy make a squealing noise and as far as I no belt dressing only cover up the noise for a bit if ur belt is making noise it eather needs to be replaced or titend if it is cracked or frayed it needs to be replaced.

#9 ·
You must bleed to power steering. Drain the PS but... AS YOU DRAIN ADD MORE do not let it get low. if it gets real low your adding more air. After you o that start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel to its stopping point Left...Right...Left...Right. Once again DO NOT LET THE RESEVOIR GET LOW! Now not only will you introduce air you will be running your pump dry if the reservoir empties.Keep going Left....Right...LeftUntil you are satisfied.

A high pitched squealing = Belt
Woawoawoa or waaaaaaa = Pump usually thats going bad or low on fluid. temperature problem is interesting ill look and see what I can think of. You would have gotten a code if the CTS was bad. (coolant temperature sensor)

#10 ·
Thanks Shifting,
And with that added bit of information, I am now convinced that the power steering pump is going out. Does anyone here have any experience(s) with aftermarket power steering pumps? Recommended? Not recommended? Any particular brands better or worst than others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.