Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine Codes P1143,P0134,P0328

41K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just got checked out at autozone and they ran these codes for a CEL on. Light has been on a few weeks. Also came on a few months ago but didnt last too long. He cleared the codes and will see if it comes back. Need inspection done ASAP. Anyone have any info on these codes? I read on the knock sensor code and seems like i should just ignore it. I have a 2002 SE 4x4 not SC. Truck seems to be running perfectly fine. No knocking sounds at all, consistent oil changes every 3k miles. Truck has like 138k miles on it. No rough idling or anything. Does anyone have any info on the other codes? I believe they are o2 sensors? Thank a lot.

#3 ·
Possible causes of the code P1143
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Intake air leaks
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Fuel pressure
- Injectors

If there are no intake air leaks, the most likely cause of the P1143 code is the front O2 sensor bank 1.

P0134
Replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem
Help with this
When is the code detected?
The voltage from the sensor is constantly approx. 0.3V

The third is Knock sensor. I would just leave that alone. More often than not with that code replacing that sensor fixes it.

OBD-ll Codes.com

#5 ·
Yep, that's Bank 1, Sensor 1. When you pull it, the bung may come out of the exhaust too.

#7 ·
Both are threaded, so if it stays in, great. If it comes out, fine.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I picked up the oxygen sensor (part #13420). I'm just confused on the location of this sensor under the hood. It's the oxygen sensor 1, bank 1 that needs to be changed. I've read its the one located on the passenger side of the engine bay and lays on top of the exhaust manifold I believe (pics attached) and be easily worked upon. However in the diagram attached, it seems like sensor one bank one is on the opposite side (driver side). Any clarity would be very appreciated.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hmm i'm still confused by what you said. I just got those codes when I got it read at autozone b/c my CEL was lit for a few weeks. I've noticed excessive exhaust smoke and definitely have noticed high fuel consumption. So i figured i would replace sensor one bank one and hope that takes care of the problem/CEL light from coming back on...So is the picture I took of the sensor the correct sensor to be changed? sensor one bank one?

#11 ·
Yes it is the correct sensor indicated in the pics. There are multiple reasons for that code to come up and they are all not caused by a faulty O2 sensor. That's why it's always better to run through the diagnostic procedure to determine what is causing the code.

It may be the o2 sensor and the problem could be fixed by replacing it. It could also be a bad connection, bad ground, injector fault, or an air intake leak causing the issue.

#12 ·
Any tips on removing this sensor? Bought socket and using an extension but its not budging. Been soaking it with pb blaster for a few days. I'm afraid to snap the sensor or the bolt. Is it any easier taking off the front passenger side tire and going from Underneath?

#16 ·
I have a P1143 code displayed on my 2002 SC 3.3L. I cleaned the two grounds on the wiring harness at the sc, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the connector for the O2 sensor and did not find any vacuum leaks. I cleared the code and all was good for a couple weeks but then it came back.
We have emissions testing here which you have to pass before renewing the tags. A SES light is automatic fail, and they can tell if you just cleared the codes so you fail anyway. I am also showing a code for the knock sensor and had one for the IAT sensor but have since replaced that one.

#22 ·
They are only a sensor telling you some thing is wrong . If you had no service on your cell phone would you buy a new phone or fix the problem and change location. You are not looking at live data only fault code for o2 sensor this is what live data looks like.In the data below S2 is showing .590 which is to high should be with .75 of sensor S2 changing the sensor is not going to change the .590 ,it may for 50 miles but it will be back like is was before and your wallet will be $150 lighter.

maf .48
o2 sensor
S1B1 .300 S1B2 .330
S2B1 .590 S2B2 .330
STFT1 2.3 LTFT1 .8
STFT2 -.8 LTFT 5.5

This is showing a fault for o2 sensor but the problem with this truck is the engine.
Your problem is one or more of these.
Possible causes:
Bad cat
ex leak
intake leak
bad injector
leaking injector
bad plug or wrong plugs ( did you change from the OEM that should be in the truck)
timing off

#23 ·
Sigh. I have been chasing a moving target trying to keep the SES light off. I've been driving around for two months with expired tags. I have gotten all the fluids changed except the transmission so far and installed a new cap and rotor. I guess it is time to park it and do the timing belt, knock sensor, water pump and spark plugs. Hopefully I can find a solution while rooting around in there.

#25 ·
133k miles. I know, way past due for some of this stuff but my son has had it while going through college. He bought a new car and gave the XTerra back with a list of issues. I'm not blaming him, he got a Ph.D. in nuclear forensics but he is no auto mechanic. Neither am I, but I am pretty good with motorcycles. It is just taking a while to work through all the problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.