Nissan XTerra Forum banner

CAI -opinions of pros and cons of different brands

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Gingerbloke 
#1 ·
I am sure I overlooked a thread very similar to this one, and blundered ahead in asking what may already be a much asked quesiton;

When it comes to cold air intakes - does any one brand or kit reign surpreme over all others? What are the realistic bennies realized from a good CAI system installation?

Again, thanks for your patience with this newbie stuff!
Cheers!

#2 · (Edited)
I personally recommend the modified stock airbox with a KN drop in filter.

1) Any open cone air filter (KN) type intake exposes your filter to a lot of dirt. Especially if you plan to offroad any at all. Even on my last car, not used offroad at all, the cone style filter was constantly dirty and going bad.

2) Volant created an intake with a cone filter, but has a box around it to protect it from the dirt. This works well, but with twodrawbacks...the box is not sealed to be water tight for water crossings (offroad) and there is not an adapter to attach a snorkel to it.

For offroad trucks, the mother of all intakes is a snorkel. The volant is a good intake, but you can't upgrade later to a snorkel. The KN style intakes leave the filter in complete exposure to crap. The stock airbox can be modified to increase the airflow capabilities, and a high flow filter can be added. You ALSO have the option to add a snorkel, and the box is water tight to protect yourself offroad.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply! As a side note - I dug your first sticky! I am getting ready to do the PML myself on my first weekend off this year - the 26th. I will be installing the AC 3" UCA kit as well, and setting my adjustables to the full height. There will be pics by then...

As for the intake setup - I am going to do the resonator delete straight away. From there I will determine what setup to go to, if any. I may be really rather pleased with just the resonator delete.

I think I am going to re-post this thread in the proper section...

Cheers!
JT

#4 ·
Hey man, I love my suspension lift set up with the UCAs and adjustable shackles. Great all around, leveled out lift.

No problem on the forum deal...performance mods....mod questions...they kind of overlap....both are good :)

let us know if you have any more questions!

#5 ·
There will be many, I am sure! I amy actually be able to contribute some as well -I did a lot of build up and mods on my Jeeps and Landcruisers. Love it!

#6 ·
K&N also has an enclosed CAI now, called the Apollo. Perfect complement to a snorkel, too.

You could do this without a snork and still get the CAI benefits, so long as you take steps to keep crap from going straight into the flex tube

#7 ·
I like how that Apollo looks! I have no immediate plans for a snorkel,so that could be a very good alternative. Thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.