Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Tie rod end gouging into tire weights and rim

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CISO1969 
#1 · (Edited)
New tie rod ends, checked against the old and almsot identical. Have tires balanced with weights on inside last 3 years have gone theough several rotations with no issue.

Last time i had it aligned I had put new TRE's on it. They also did more things with camber bolts etc. When I put new tra's in a few days ago and had left the tie rods unadjusted- i didnt get the grinding when I turned it full turn toward the left, that I got after last alignment and that I have now.

So is this a case of "try a different tie rod end" (i think its same as I took off) or something was moved or adjusted that made the tie rod end get so close to rim?

I dont want to grind it, I dont want to experiment buying 4 or 5 brands of tie rod ends, I really think something was moved that shouldnt have been or was overcompensated for. Any ideas?

Also this place that does my alignments sucks balls. The guys are nice enough but the techs they put on alignment dont seem like they know or care how to do them. This time the guy lost my locking lug key from Nissan --but since he was also a Nissan tech or former Nissan tech gave me his aftermarket key, part of a set he had , that matched my locking lug pattern...it works but wtf?

Also they cant seem to get the specs same as what is shown on the board posts for alignments. did they miss the class about loosening everything back to zero or not adjusted state then working each piece as needed? I mean the camber bolts are only two years old and tie rods are new (tre's and tra)

So whats the disconnect? do they need to reindex the camber bolts (ie loosen em all the way and start again. I dunno, seems like they are having way more issues than they should...oh and Truck pulls to the left after the alignment grrrrr

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive had my weights hit my UCA's but not my TRE's. Go back and check everything again. Something might be loose and they didn't tighten it back up. Take it back and tell them its pulling. It shouldn't pull after an alignment.

#3 ·
The problem with people doing alignments these days isnt so much their work being poor, but the machines they are using not giving them enough info. I have a friend that used to work at sears, and the machines they use there dont actually show them any numbers while they are doing the work. They put in what kind of vehicle they are working on and the computer shows red or green while they are doing the alignment. they keep going until everything is green. After they are done, the computer sends a print out to the front desk showing the actual numbers of what was called for, what was achieved and how far each adjustment is out. I still take my truck there because there is a guy that works there that has been doing alignments for years and can get it pretty close to what I want, but he has to mess with it a bit to get it to the numbers I need and ignore what the computer is calling for. These computers would be nice if you could plug in custom alignment settings but apparently unless they have an old machine where you do it all off numbers its more or less a matter of experience and messing around till its right.

#4 ·
The problem may be loose wheel bearings, or shot ones. I can not imagine a front end shop trying to do an alignment with bad/loose bearings, but there are very few good alignment shops out there.
Check the bearings!

#5 ·
Thanks all Ill keep looking and trying to figue it out. Anyone kno w a shop that does a real alignment in Exton-West Chester area?

CISO

#6 ·
update: Why they suck a$$:

On the trails at Rausch and notioce the nut that tightens against the inner tie rod end on the passenger side is backed all the way out tight agianst the TRA....a few moments of lying in the the wet snow with a 22mm, 19mm and 21mm wrench and it's tightened, but I must have riddden close to two weeks like that plus at least one trail at that point. I am praying ity didn't ruin anything. Stupid F***ktards GRRRRR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.