Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Spark Plug Gap

52K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  emmdock 
#1 ·
hey guys changing my Spark Plugs today was wondering what the spark plug gap is on a 2004 3.3 non supercharged

#2 ·
Your owners manual should tell you. There might also be a sticker on the inside of the hood.

I don't know much about the first gens, but my manual specifically states to NOT gap or clean the plugs. The platinum plugs are maintenance free. Replace after 100k or so.

#5 · (Edited)
It does differ on the plugs you get... I just changed mine with ngk's and they called for .44 I got my plugs a napa and napa actually prints the gap right on the reciept for the plugs you get...

The last set I put in were champions... and don't quote me for sure but I think they got gaped at .55

And whether or not your manual says not to gap the plugs.. or the place you get the plugs from tells you that they are pre gaped.... make sure you still check them... I have ran into that problem with customers cars a lot...

#6 ·
.44 for the 2005, on the box of NGK's platinum laser, it say's do not gap. I checked each one, most were about .43, two were like .46 so I just pressed in gently. The factory ones I took out, same brand etc. @136K miles, were at .46 - .48 I guess from a little wear. 2 things: ALWAYS check your parts at the store, I have been getting a lot of returned, greasy stuff, so now I check before leaving the store, and as far as spark plugs, check the gap, Friday at a factory can bring some bad luck.

#7 · (Edited)
The automobile / engine manufacturer's gap spec is the one that should be followed, not the spark plug manufacturer (they have no idea what engine their plug goes in, and it could be hundreds of different engines with different specs).

As for gapping the plugs: gapping techniques can damage the plug. Be careful or be sorry. If you visit different plug manufacturer's websites and read their FAQ, you will see that they will tell you that it's a good idea to check it, but not always a good idea to adjust it.

For example...here's what Bosch has to say:

Do I need to gap my plugs?
Maybe, but likely not. Many plugs are pre-gapped for their most popular applications, however, the gap can be altered if the plug is dropped or mishandled in packing/shipping. Therefore even if the plugs are supposedly preset for your motor, it is always wise to check the gap on each plug prior to installing. For information on how to adjust the gap see Proper Gapping.

It is not recommended that you adjust the gap on multi-ground plugs.

Bosch Ir Fusion, +4, +2 Spark plugs are never to be gapped for any application. The gaps on these plugs are not adjustable.

#8 ·
I think it's .039-.044 but it also says don't mess with them because you can chip/damage the coating on the electrode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.