Nissan XTerra Forum banner

265/70/17 vs 265/65/17 tires

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gsimpson2G 
#1 ·
So, with needing new tires, and being a little strapped for cash, I noticed the 265/70/17s run about $25 cheaper per tire in the tire I want vs the stock size of 265/65/17. My question is, I know the tire will be slightly taller, and not as wide. Will this cause any drivetrain or brake failures, or any rubbing?

#2 ·
Those tires are the exact same width (265mm), so the issue is purely in height (65mm vs 70mm). A big question becomes what is your wheel's backspacing or offset, and are you running your truck with any kind of body lift? The 70s are basically 32" tires, and my understanding on the first gens is that 32s might fit as long as you're running close to stock offset which should be somewhere around +30mm. I've run what would be the equivalent of those 65s on my 1st gen Frontier with a 0 offset and had no rubbing, but 70s might be pushing it with the stock well.

If you're getting the tires from a store like Discount Tire, they're really good about fitting the tires and testing for rubbing. So I'd go that way and have them put the 70s on run them a mile or so to see if rubs at all and then make a decision.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Going with Walmart for the tires and install. Cant beat the 18 months same as cash on the card right now. Going ahead and buying the BFG Rugged Terrains in 265/70/17. If there is any rubbing, hopefully it will be minimal!
A 265/70/17 tire has a section width of 265 mm, the same as the stock 265/75/16/

The aspect ratio of 70 means that the sidewalls are 70% of the section width, or ~ 185.5 mm (each).

185.5 x 2 = 371 mm, or, 14.6".

The hole in the middle of the tire is for a 17" rim, so, 17" of rim, plus 14.6" of sidewall height = 31.6" of total tire diameter (Nominal sizing at any rate).

The STOCK 265/75/16 tire would therefore have 198.75 mm sidewalls....

So, 397.5 mm of total sidewall, or ~ 15.6"

Add 16" for the rim to 15.6" for the sidewall heights, and you get 31.65", about the same as the 16" stock tire as the 17" replacement tire you're planning.

IE: You are putting on a stock sized tire, the same width and height as the truck came with, from the dealer.

:D

So, as you are installing a tire almost exactly the same size it comes with from the factory (Maybe even a little SMALLER than from the factory...), it should not rub any more than a stock tire would rub.

Of course, if you get other than stock RIMS, and you have too little backspacing on the rims, well, then even stock tires rub if you have too little BS on the rims.

Do you have the 17" stock rims?

#6 ·
The STOCK 265/75/16 tire would therefore have 198.75 mm sidewalls....

So, 397.5 mm of total sidewall, or ~ 15.6"

Add 16" for the rim to 15.6" for the sidewall heights, and you get 31.65", about the same as the 16" stock tire as the 17" replacement tire you're planning.

IE: You are putting on a stock sized tire, the same width and height as the truck came with, from the dealer.

So, as you are installing a tire almost exactly the same size it comes with from the factory (Maybe even a little SMALLER than from the factory...), it should not rub any more than a stock tire would rub.

265/75/16 wasn't a stock size on the first gens.

Going with a 265/70/17 would be like running a 265/75/16 outside diameter wise. It's going up 1 inch diameter from the largest stock tire size. So, assuming stock wheels, you will have to trim some minor plastic up front and that's it.

#7 ·
My 2004 X actually came with 265/70/17 tires and I had no rubbing issues and no trimming needed. I was told that the tires were swapped from the 265/65/17s that are stock, for the STL Auto Show that the X was in. No clue as to why they did it, but I had no problems running 265/70/17 tires.

#8 · (Edited)
Verdict is in on the BFG Rugged Terrain 265/70/17s. They do rub slightly, but in an odd way. Full lock, left or right, no rubbing unless going over uneven surface. Only rubbing I get at any speed, slow or fast, is in left turns, and only when turning slightly. Would the PML help, or should I go straight for some trimming!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.