Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Pipe cleaner used as filter for blow-by hose?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Itsme 
#1 ·
So yesterday I decided to change the 'blow-by' hose that goes to the air intake air duct. Strictly b/c it was wicked hard, and I know they do tend to get brittle with age. In the 1st picture, it is the hose with the red arrow on the top that goes into the air duct.

My question is, does Nissan use what looks like a pipe cleaner, as a filter on the opposite end of the hose from the air duct?

I was able to move it a little, but did not want to fully remove it incase it was supposed to be there as a filter. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine has the same thing inside of it. I assume its there to catch or at least slow down any blowby that comes through so that it will end up back down in the valve train rather than the intake manifold.

#4 ·
I honestly thought somebody had tried cleaning it with a pipe cleaner and broke it off, but then I saw the other side was the same way and decided either somebody had proven to be a failure and broken two pipe cleaners or it was meant to be that way.

I have not seen any other trucks or spoke to a mechanic or anything to verify they are supposed to be that way, but the odds of two trucks having them makes me feel a little better about the fact I never pulled them out.

#5 ·
I'm walking over to Nissan today to order a couple more hoses to replave and PCV valve, so I may ask one of the techs to see what they have to say. I am curious what would happen if they were removed, but also if they are a fliter, what gunk is it blocking to come through.

#11 ·
The "pipe cleaner" is to collect the oil and only send the stale air, but it is by no means 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.