Nissan XTerra Forum banner

resetting abs light

90K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  muadeeb 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 , model and had main leaf spring break , when this happend it severed the wire for abs going into sensor on wheel . i repaired the wire but abs light stays on . Anybody know how to reset this ? Thanks D..

#3 ·
IIRC, it resets itself after a number of cycles....you might merely need to wait.

If a week goes by, and the light stays on, either you DID NOT repair the wire as you thought (The splice changed the resistance, etc...), or something else might also be out of whack.

If you nail the brakes, does the X skid, or does the ABS pulse/seem to work?

If the connection is bad or its not reset, it should skid.

If it pulses/seems to work, but the light stays on, then it might be part of the send loop instead, etc.

#5 ·
reviving an old thread....gotta love the search tool

anyone know if this is also true for a 2nd gen? my abs light is currently on- do i just need to wait for it to go off, can it be cleared with the scanguage? thanks for the info

ps- it's on due to the lift/wheels/tires that are finally on my x....i'm picking it up tonight and will have pics up as soon as i get it back in my possesion

-john

#6 ·
I know on the 1st gens there is a routine for reading lamp flashes and reseting the ABS. However I have just gone through the whole chapter for the 2nd gen and all I can find is information relating to the use of Consult II. All I can suggest disconnecting the battery and depressing the brake pedal before reconnecting the battery.

#7 ·
okay, so i found this on some other nissan sites on the web? i'm willing to give it a shot to save me from making a trip to the dealer to get the abs/slip lights to go away.....my question is, does anyone know how to ground the /#9 pin on the data link connector properly? i can't find an answer for it anywhere and i don't want to mess even more crap up on the truck. also, anyone know why the scanguage doesn't pick up any of these codes on the x? i thought it was supposed to be able to read them, and their website says it has full compatability with the x?

-john

After tooling around in few Nissan sites.... I realized there is absolutely nothing on this subject. So I asked a Nissan tech and this is what he sent to me. Hope this helps someone.

ABS LIGHT RESET/DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

When a problem occurs in the ABS, the warning lamp on the instrument panel comes on. To start the selfdiagnostic
results mode, ground the self-diagnostic (check) terminal located on Data Link Connector. The
location of the malfunction is indicated by the warning lamp flashing.

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE
1. Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Ground terminal 9 of Data Link Connector with a suitable harness.
4. Turn ignition switch ON while grounding terminal 9.
Do not depress brake pedal.
5. After 3.0 seconds, the warning lamp starts flashing to indicate
the malfunction code No. (See NOTE.)
6. Verify the location of the malfunction with the malfunction code
chart. Then make the necessary repairs following the diagnostic procedures.
7. After the malfunctions are repaired, erase the malfunction codes
stored in the control unit. See Below
8. Rerun the self-diagnostic results mode to verify that the malfunction
codes have been erased.
9. Disconnect the check terminal from the ground. The self-diagnostic
results mode is now complete.
10. Check warning lamp for deactivation after driving vehicle over 30
km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
11. After making certain that warning lamp does not come on, test
the ABS in a safe area to verify that it functions properly.
NOTE:
The indication terminates after 5 minutes.
However, when the ignition switch is turned from OFF to ON, the
indication starts flashing again.

HOW TO READ SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Determine the code No. by counting the number of times the warning lamp flashes on and off.
2. When several malfunctions occur at one time, up to three code numbers can be stored; the latest malfunction
will be indicated first.
3. The indication begins with the start code 12. After that a maximum of three code numbers appear in the
order of the latest one first. The indication then returns to the start code 12 to repeat (the indication will
stay on for five minutes at most).

HOW TO ERASE SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Disconnect the check terminal from ground (ABS warning lamp
will stay lit).
2. Within 12.5 seconds, ground the check terminal three times.
Each terminal ground must last more than 1 second. The ABS
warning lamp goes out after the erase operation has been completed.
3. Perform self-diagnosis again. Only the start code should appear, no
malfunction codes.

ABS CODES

Code No. Malfunctioning Part Reference Page
12 Self-diagnosis could not detect any malfunctions.
45 Actuator front left outlet solenoid valve
46 Actuator front left inlet solenoid valve
41 Actuator front right outlet solenoid valve
42 Actuator front right inlet solenoid valve
51 Actuator rear right outlet solenoid valve
52 Actuator rear right inlet solenoid valve
55 Actuator rear left outlet solenoid valve
56 Actuator rear left inlet solenoid valve
25 *1 Front left sensor (open-circuit)
26 *1 Front left sensor (short-circuit)
21 *1 Front right sensor (open-circuit)
22 *1 Front right sensor (short-circuit)
31 *1 Rear right sensor (open-circuit)
32 *1 Rear right sensor (short-circuit)
35 *1 Rear left sensor (open-circuit)
36 *1 Rear left sensor (short-circuit)
18 *1 Sensor rotor
61 *3 Actuator motor or motor relay
63 Solenoid valve relay
57 *2 Power supply (Low voltage)
71 Control unit

#11 ·
thanks for the heads up on the scan guage. so i tried that whole procedure i posted, but no luck, it seems to be for an older engine. some of you first gen guys might have luck with it if you ever have your abs light stuck on. so, it looks like i'll have to take the x in to the dealer, since no auto parts store around here can reset the lights, and on the 2nd gen with the abs and or slip lights on (which i have both) 4wd becomes inactive. it really sucks to have a brand new lift and not be able to use the 4wd. i'm flying all day tomorrow, so i guess she'll be going in first thing tuesday morning

-john

#12 ·
ok, so i just got back from the dealer with the abs/slip light problem. turns out one of my abs sensors is busted, so that needs to be replaced (not from the lift, i drove through a wicked thunderstorm the other day, lots of water coming up under the x, dealer said the sensor still had water in it when he took it off). the downside is they didn't have any instock so he has to order it....so, until it comes in, no 4wd on my x. however, for all you 2nd gen guys out there, the reason my lights came on to begin with- when the truck gets lifted, it changes the steering angle sensor- so, it may set your lights off. your best bet is to just swing buy your dealership and have them adjust it (if they're a good one like where i go, they'll probably do it for free)

-john

#15 ·
Most likely an electrical problem. Have the ABS computer read with a scanner and see what the problem is.
x2. The ABS light will not affect the braking ability, it will just affect the Antilock brakes and nothing else. The ABS is only functional on panic stops. If your light is on, then the system is not working.

#16 ·
okay, so i found this on some other nissan sites on the web? i'm willing to give it a shot to save me from making a trip to the dealer to get the abs/slip lights to go away.....my question is, does anyone know how to ground the /#9 pin on the data link connector properly? i can't find an answer for it anywhere and i don't want to mess even more crap up on the truck. also, anyone know why the scanguage doesn't pick up any of these codes on the x? i thought it was supposed to be able to read them, and their website says it has full compatability with the x?

-john

After tooling around in few Nissan sites.... I realized there is absolutely nothing on this subject. So I asked a Nissan tech and this is what he sent to me. Hope this helps someone.

ABS LIGHT RESET/DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

When a problem occurs in the ABS, the warning lamp on the instrument panel comes on. To start the selfdiagnostic
results mode, ground the self-diagnostic (check) terminal located on Data Link Connector. The
location of the malfunction is indicated by the warning lamp flashing.

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE
1. Drive vehicle over 30 km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Ground terminal 9 of Data Link Connector with a suitable harness.
4. Turn ignition switch ON while grounding terminal 9.
Do not depress brake pedal.
5. After 3.0 seconds, the warning lamp starts flashing to indicate
the malfunction code No. (See NOTE.)
6. Verify the location of the malfunction with the malfunction code
chart. Then make the necessary repairs following the diagnostic procedures.
7. After the malfunctions are repaired, erase the malfunction codes
stored in the control unit. See Below
8. Rerun the self-diagnostic results mode to verify that the malfunction
codes have been erased.
9. Disconnect the check terminal from the ground. The self-diagnostic
results mode is now complete.
10. Check warning lamp for deactivation after driving vehicle over 30
km/h (19 MPH) for at least one minute.
11. After making certain that warning lamp does not come on, test
the ABS in a safe area to verify that it functions properly.
NOTE:
The indication terminates after 5 minutes.
However, when the ignition switch is turned from OFF to ON, the
indication starts flashing again.

HOW TO READ SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Determine the code No. by counting the number of times the warning lamp flashes on and off.
2. When several malfunctions occur at one time, up to three code numbers can be stored; the latest malfunction
will be indicated first.
3. The indication begins with the start code 12. After that a maximum of three code numbers appear in the
order of the latest one first. The indication then returns to the start code 12 to repeat (the indication will
stay on for five minutes at most).

HOW TO ERASE SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS (MALFUNCTION CODES)
1. Disconnect the check terminal from ground (ABS warning lamp
will stay lit).
2. Within 12.5 seconds, ground the check terminal three times.
Each terminal ground must last more than 1 second. The ABS
warning lamp goes out after the erase operation has been completed.
3. Perform self-diagnosis again. Only the start code should appear, no
malfunction codes.

ABS CODES

Code No. Malfunctioning Part Reference Page
12 Self-diagnosis could not detect any malfunctions.
45 Actuator front left outlet solenoid valve
46 Actuator front left inlet solenoid valve
41 Actuator front right outlet solenoid valve
42 Actuator front right inlet solenoid valve
51 Actuator rear right outlet solenoid valve
52 Actuator rear right inlet solenoid valve
55 Actuator rear left outlet solenoid valve
56 Actuator rear left inlet solenoid valve
25 *1 Front left sensor (open-circuit)
26 *1 Front left sensor (short-circuit)
21 *1 Front right sensor (open-circuit)
22 *1 Front right sensor (short-circuit)
31 *1 Rear right sensor (open-circuit)
32 *1 Rear right sensor (short-circuit)
35 *1 Rear left sensor (open-circuit)
36 *1 Rear left sensor (short-circuit)
18 *1 Sensor rotor
61 *3 Actuator motor or motor relay
63 Solenoid valve relay
57 *2 Power supply (Low voltage)
71 Control unit

What is meant by a suitable harness to ground pin 9? I tried doing this with a wire and I blew a fuse for the meter. Do you know where I can find a harness like this?

#19 ·
Yes Xterror... Ground pin #9 in the OBD2 connector port. ;)

#25 · (Edited)
FYI grounding Pin #9 on the ODBII connector for a 2002 X with a v6 clears the ABS code. It does not flash codes, so I'm researching for the correct answer. In order for the sensor to fail due to dirt obstruction, the exciter ring must be CAKED with mud, they are not that sensitive and are designed to get a signal through an average build-up of dirt, metal shavings from brakes or mud.
The ODBII connector is slightly diamond-shaped so the smaller side's upper right corner pin with no other installed pins near it, is the one.
First-time poster, will be back with the correct solution since so far on this site there is none.

#26 ·
No manual sensor test for 2002 and up models found as of yet.
Removed front two sensors and used compressed air to blow free all particles and inserted air blow nozzle into sensor hole while turning wheel to remove internal dust build-up and re-installed sensors, just to cover all the bases.
Removal of the two rear sensors (drum brakes), were similar to the front only they are housed inside the axle tube and were completely clean as were the 2rear exciter rings on the axles seen through the sensor holes.
Re-drove vehicle at 20-22 mph for one minute intervals, twice, no ABS light has come on since clearing the code manually via jumping pin #9 with a chassis ground.
Stuck caliper on left front leads me to think there is either a fluid pressure discrepancy with the ABS unit reading values inconsistent with default psi in the system OR that wheel is turning slower at some turning aspect causing the sensor to read inaccurately OR heat buildup from the stuck caliper has increased the resistance of the sensors' circuit. Zero wheel bearing play noted.
I'd rather not shell out 4 grand on a Solus scanner just for a twice per year ABS scan to make $40 on a sensor R&R, if you know what I mean.
Will check this thread for any developments if anyone has any on a manual sensor test as I have no values to go against for a continuity test of each sensor.
Yikes, I got me a stickler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.