Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Recommeded Offroading gear???

9K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Tarditi 
#1 ·
In the near future I plan on arranging a local 4x4 trip and would like to get some additional feedback on what are the necessary things to bring for your truck and for myself while out 4x4'ing. As we always try to be safe there could be a time where a 1 day trip could lead to an overnight due to weather or breakdowns. I generally have a good idea of what to bring. See list below. If I have missed something please let me know.

- Small Jerry can with gas
- shovel
- hi-lift jack or some type of jack.
- flashlight
- sleeping bag
- food
- first aid kit
- tool kit
- heat pads(location dependant, could be cold in the night without heat)
- water
- Beer

Now the question I have is what about spare truck parts?

#3 ·
Spare auto-hubs and tie-rod adjusters is a must in my opinion. If you can only do one or the other, tie-rod adjusters. You can always limp out in 3WD or 2WD as long as you are NOT ALONE. ;)

Other stuff in no particular order:

tie-rod ends
centerlink
idler arm (if you don't already have an idler arm brace then this would go into the must carry category)
CV axle
torsion bar anchors
torsion bar adjusters

#5 ·
Here is what I have found to be very important. I usually go to ORV parks with a group, so overnight stays and even recovery gear isnt necessary on my part.

CB
Rubber floor mats like Husky Liners
Tire Deflators
Snatch Strap and D-Rings
Camera (gotta get those sweet offroading pics for the forum!)

#7 ·
I added Silicone Rescue Tape to my kit, just in case of a leak in the cooling system. It can be used to temp fix a hose. Plus it is great for wiring.

#8 ·
My old 4x4 club came up with this list:
http://www.cnc4x4.org/mini_equipment.asp

If you're going with friends, FRS radios are pretty cheap and easy to use - not everyone has a CB. I wouldn't recommend going solo.

Make sure you save the beer just for the campsite, too... ;-)
I couldn't stress this enough. Take it from a lot of bad experiences from my teenage years just getting into offroading (in a POS blazer). I've had to walk several miles multiple times to find rescue.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. Here is what I have collected so far.

- Small Jerry can with gas
- shovel
- hi-lift jack or some type of jack.
- flashlight
- sleeping bag
- food
- first aid kit
- tool kit
- heat pads(location dependant, could be cold in the night without heat)
- water
- Beer
- spare fuses
- tire plugs
- Socket set with wrenches
- zip ties
- duct tape
- tarp to throw under the truck as a barrier from the snow/mud
- small air compressor ( or OBA tank)
- small hand saw ( metal and wood blade)
- Spare tire
- Tire repair kit
- Fire extinguisher
- tie-rod ends
- centerlink
- idler arm (if you don't already have an idler arm brace then this would go into the must carry category)
- CV axle
- torsion bar anchors
- torsion bar adjusters

Some of those mechanical items ie. an axle really? Must be fom experience?
Why the torsion bar anchors and adjusters? Don't understand this one.

#10 ·
Some of those mechanical items ie. an axle really? Must be fom experience?
Why the torsion bar anchors and adjusters? Don't understand this one.
An axle really.....yes. The front CV's can and do break, I broke one this weekend but got lucky and it was at the end of the day so did not have to change it on the trail. I carry a spare and we have some members who carry more than one.

Torsion bars can break but usually it is the anchor or the adjuster that the splines end up stripping out. The torsion bars are the springs for the front suspension and are supporting the weight of the truck. When one breaks or strips splines the front suspension on that side will collapse and you are going to be pretty much stuck.

#12 ·
the tire plug and Tire repair kit are the same things when push comes to shove. keep in mind that if your using that green slime crap your gonna toast your TPMS sensors if you have them
Very good tip. Plus, tire shops hate that crap and you also need to let them know if a wheel has that gunk in them before they change them or balance them. It throws the tire out of balance pretty bad also. A good last ditch effort to save a tire but patch/plug it if at all possible before going that route.

As for the spare axle, yes it is good to carry one. Not an absolute must but it is good to have one on hand. Most times, the auto hubs will break before the CV (which is a good thing) but I have been with two trucks who've broken CV's and it really cripples a rig. One failure was more mileage than trail damage. The trail more or less broke the camel's back but the guy said that the CV was nearing the end of its life span. Where he broke it (gradual rocky uphill on #22 at Coal Creek) was not extremely difficult. Just enough off-camber and bounce to finally do it in.

#13 ·
what about the actual tools you carry?

So all the spare parts etc are great ideas.

I've got all the standard stuff like shovels 2 types one for moving a lot of material like snow and another for tougher stuff. I also have a poop shovels so i guess it's 3 shovels. I have a space blanket, flashlight, some food, water, tarp, coveralls, two pairs of gloves, hi lift with big base plate and a recovery kit. I've got on board air, a gas can, and a NOAA radio.

Fuses are a great idea (i'm not sure hwy i don't have any).

What I've been trying to put together is an appropriate tool kit to keep on board. When I had VW's there was essentially a small tool bag you could put together that would get you out of most situations on to a more complete set of tools.

Currently I've got an assortment of metric sockets, screwdrivers, some vise grips, a hammer or two, and maybe some electrical tape.

Any other suggestions for my tool bag?

Thanks

#14 ·
a piece of pipe for a breaker bar. I have some 3/4 emt I keep with me in case i need one.

Set of extractors in case you strip a bolt. I found a set of 5 craftsman on sell for about $12.

Extra rotor and Cap. I bought some before I replaced the distributor so I keep the spares with me. Not necessary but If you have them carry them.

I plan on getting a couple of small sets of sockets and wrenches to keep in my box in my truck. anything with 10-18mm should be good for most things, and a set of hex bits in case you need to pull a hub. I currently throw a tool bag in my car when I am going out, or even on a trip more than around town, but I tend to take crap out of it and leave it in my tool chest in the basement and cant find crap when I need it. Even some cheap kobalts or harbor freight sets that live in my truck would be better than nothing. Still gonna take my good tools with me, but have those as backups in case something breaks, or I forget my tool bag. I also carry one of those gator sockets with me everywhere. Not the best option, but it will fit anything up to 17mm and I have had to use it a few times when I couldnt find what I needed.

#17 ·
I use that for open spaces. the piece of emt is about 15 inches long. works out really well in tight spots. I have never had to use it outside my garage, but it gets more use than about any other tool I carry.

#21 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
Yes I made it. Kind of a prototype that I am working on.
Easy storage and can use either wood or charcoal.
Works great for those areas that do not allow open fires.
Just kind of checking people's interest right now.
Well, consider interest. :)

Put up a thread with maybe a poll at different price points or options or something! Also include dimensions, if possible. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.