Nissan XTerra Forum banner

MMO In Gas.

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  dylan0123 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd give it a shot, given that 10% ethanol hurts MPG's and removes the lubrication properties of gasoline. Putting roughly 6-7oz in the gas tank and driving around i did notice the engine being a bit more peppy and slightly quieter. I'm interested to see if the MPG boost people say is true.

I also plan on replacing the fuel filter and pcv valve on the truck. It's horrible i'm getting between 220-230 miles to the TANK. I do about 70/30(Hwy/Cty) and I do not womp on the gas, just driving speed limit, light on the pedal etc. This is a non-supercharged Xterra, the best I had gotten was 250 miles out of a tank of gas. I know they aren't known for high mpg's but at least 250 would be the norm right? I might take out one of the plugs for examination, or just replace the plug wires as on my other cars its typical to switch em out around 35-40k and run the plugs for another 30k.

Removed my K&N drop in filter and put the OEM one back in to see if there was a difference and its really to early to tell if at all. Truck is 100% synthetic where it counts(diff's, trans, engine, transfer case).

Any other recommendations?

#2 ·
I was able to get around 350 miles on my 2000 xterra last month after cleaning MAF sensor and replacing some plugs. On that week of driving I pretty much stuck to the speed limit and tried to average 2500 rpms max. Light foot=good gas mileage.

Im also planning on changing my fuel filter cause i don't think it has ever been changed.

#3 ·
I can almost always get above 18.5mpg out of every tank. I have done the following my self and it really isn't that expensive, especially if you get like an extra 1-2mpg out of it.

Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, MAF cleaner, PCV valve, fuel filter, stock CAI mod with a K&N, and a bottle of BG44. I use BG44 twice a year. i tend to drive kinda heavy too and im up here at altitude. I feel, for how I drive, and what the xterra is rated at getting i get great gas milage.

#4 ·
i cleaned the MAF and did the DIY intake with a K&N drop in. I also did a nismo catback and synthetic motor oil. I'm getting 17-18 mpg after I recalculate my od's mileage. This is something you should do if you can. Using my GPS, I noticed that that my speedo and odo were off substantially. If the speedo says 69, I'm really going 73. And the odo is off exactly 5%. If it reads 100 miles, I've gone 105. Doesn't sound like much but it's 1mpg. It might likely be one of a bunch of little things you need to do to get the total to be respectable.

Oh, and I'm heavy on the gas almost always and I do about 90% hwy miles. I love the sound of the supercharger :)

#5 ·
Since I got the truck in March I've done:

Full synthetic swap,
Cleaned MAF
Did Airbox Mod(using OEM filter now).
Ran some Techron Fuel System cleaner.
Shocks(keep tires planted etc)
Alignment/Balancing

Now I planed on replacing the PCV(which I am going to do this weekend) and Fuel Filter. Next paycheck I'm just going to swap out the plugs and wires as suggested. Truck has 35k on it but eats gas like crazy, i'm thinking that since the previous owner had it for 5 years and hardly drove it(lots of stop and go, short trips) maybe the plugs are bad or caked along with the PCV valve?

#6 ·
That will be the last time I change the stupid fuel filter. Everything was going smooth, pulled the fuse, started the truck, stalled it out, started it several more times to make sure it was dead and drained.

Start wiggling the fuel filter off the hose and it slips out of my hand the moment a touch of gas hits it(wearing latex gloves here) and some on my lips and my EYE! I immediately pulled the bucket to where it was down pouring gas, slide out of the truck and rush to the bathroom. Eye was burning specially since I had my damn contacts in. Several minutes of flushing later its fine.

So now i have some gas spillage on my driveway and a new filter. Smell of gas all over me too(should make it a cologne lol). You would think a dealer selling a car used would go through and replace this crap, but no its the original fuel filter and it looked really worse for wear, rusty etc. I cut that SOB open and looked at the filter media and was able to scrape off some crap on it, so lesson learned that even at 35k miles it would be wise to change.

I'll keep tabs on my MPG's at my next fill up.

#7 ·
saberz, the things you are doing are likely to change fuel economy in tiny increments ... tenths of a mile per gallon. In order to track this, you wqll need to track gallons used (to the tenth) against miles traveled (I also take this number to the tenth.)

What are you running in the transfer case ... synthetic ATF?

Pump up your tires to within 2 psi of the sidewall maximum.

#8 · (Edited)
All synthetic fluids. Just filled up with a new tank of gas and watching it. Towards the end of my last tank it actually eeked up to 250 miles/tank which is 12.5 miles to the gallon. did roughly 65-70% highway an the rest was city.

I'll try the tire inflation method.

#9 ·
saberzPump up your tires to within 2 psi of the sidewall maximum.
over inflation of tires can cause improper wear on the inside portion of the tread, just saying...

#10 ·
True Dylan, but 2 psi less than the max is not usually over-inflation ... unless you are carrying a LOT of weight.

The Ford Explorer's flipping over was (mostly) attributed to the Firestone tires being intolerant of under inflation ... which is much more dangerous.

The perfect tire pressure is hard to figure out. Varying your tire pressure will give you different:

1) ride quality
2) tread life
3) fuel economy
4) grip (fore/aft & lateral)

As you increase and decrease the pressure, some of the above factors will increase or decrease as well ... with some being directly inverse to the others.

Everyone has to find their own balance. The door jamb number (which may or may not be the same as the number in your owners manual) is a compromise worked out by the factory ... which may or may not suit you well.

I increase my tire pressures which generally give me more fuel economy and tread life at the expense of some grip and ride comfort.

#11 ·
Was still getting poor mpg's, replaced the plugs, and also through a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in the car. Did a seafoam treatment before changing the oil and plugs as well. Monitoring the usage again and seeing what I can get, very poor mileage and hope to rectify it soon.

#12 ·
Figured I'd give it a shot, given that 10% ethanol hurts MPG's and removes the lubrication properties of gasoline. Putting roughly 6-7oz in the gas tank and driving around i did notice the engine being a bit more peppy and slightly quieter. I'm interested to see if the MPG boost people say is true.
wait, what did you put in the gas tank? what is MMO?

#13 ·
saber said:
Start wiggling the fuel filter off the hose and it slips out of my hand the moment a touch of gas hits it(wearing latex gloves here) and some on my lips and my EYE! I immediately pulled the bucket to where it was down pouring gas, slide out of the truck and rush to the bathroom. Eye was burning specially since I had my damn contacts in. Several minutes of flushing later its fine.
This was a funny situation to imagine. But I know how it feels to get that kind of stuff in your eye.

I was walking around the plane one day and doing a quick inspection and probably going out to grab a quick cigarette when I see something drip from the wing. Walk up to it to see a very slow drip coming from between the engines on the wing. I catch a drop on my finger and it's JP-8 (jet fuel). So then, like an idiot, I look right up to see exactly where it's originating from and a drop lands right in my eye. That burned really bad. Itched for the next couple of days too.

#17 ·
Yeah fuel in the eye is not a fun experience, and TC-W3 is the 2 cycle oil, so long as its fully ashless it can be used in the fuel much like MMO to lube the fuel system and as a top end(upper cylinder) lubricant. Boosts fuel mileage as well. I think its 1-2oz per 10gallons of fuel though, to much and you can foul the plugs(much like MMO).

#18 ·
oh, but the guy on that site said 1oz. to 5 gallons. do you think that's too much? seems like he knows what he's talking about though.

#19 ·
I've tried it at the last fill up 2oz to 17 gallons and I will say that I'm pretty impressed with the smoothness. If anything it's far cheaper then other additives. I've used TW-W2 in my dirt bikes for years, when I sold my dirt bike I used the remainder of the premix in my lawn mower which resulted in a much smoother lubricated engine.

#21 ·
I'm electronically challenged, so a electric fan conversion would be a bit hard. I'll have to look at the How To section on it. And 1oz per 5 is correct(I don't follow TC-W3 much) as I can get a quart of MMO for about 2-3 bucks at Walmart and lasts me a good while.

#22 ·
ELECTRIC FAN!!!!! biggest improvement I have seen I have an intake, Electric fan, run my tires at 44psi and was getting 18-20 staying around 70mph, Just added exhaust so hopefully I can stay closer to 20... Im also looking into e3 spark pluigs
isn't 44psi a little high? do you have 265/70/r15's? cuz that's what i have and the sidewall says max psi is 35psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.