Nissan XTerra Forum banner

How to set the TPS....2001 3.3L?

21K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Roschili 
#1 ·
I cannot seem to find a thread on this, if the engine has to be warm or what. What is the proper procedure?

#3 ·
The only reason that the engine has to be warm is so that the wax pellet gets out of the way and the throttle is at it's normally warm running position.

Then you need to get a continuity tester, a feeler gauge and start holding your tongue in the right position.

Find the two prongs on the upper portion of the TPS that have continuity when the throttle is closed and the tps is twisted all the way closed. As you open the throttle, the continuity should stop. Then adjust according to this:

#5 ·
Base Idle is with the computer not bumping it with the Idle Air Control Valve. Target idle is what the computer is to maintain.

Up here, at altitude, I just let the engine get warm, then unscrew the base idle adjustment screw until the engine idles higher, then screw it in a bit. This gets the base idle closer to the target idle and helps with cold starts.

#6 ·
Cyclemut u should make diy for adjusting your base idle.....so are we suppose to just warm it up and then unscrew the base isle screw.....it my tps is right I don't need to mess with it,just the screw?cuz when I warm up and unscrew what I believ to be the base idle screw nothing changes rpm wise?

#7 ·

Is that what you were looking for?

#10 ·
My TPS just went, is this hard to do myself?

#11 ·
My TPS just went, is this hard to do myself?
Umm necropost?

No it isn't hard to do. Just mark where your old TPS is and put the new one in exactly the same. It should be close enough, or atleast that worked for me.

Also, look into getting the Duralast brand TPS from Autozone. Its the same Hitachi part as OEM, only its half the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.