Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Catalytic converter help

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cannothas 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope everyone had a great Christmas.
My 2006 X is throwing a bad Ox Censor which Im being told is a result from the cats. Does anyone have an idea of either cleaning out the existing cats or a work around?
Im asking because there are 4 and they are not cheap to replace.
My gas mileage has been horrible too.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I guess a better question is that would it help gas mileage to either knock out the insides of the cats till I can get new ones on in a few months? Or would it even matter?
I just need my X to make it till March and then I will have the time and money to put new catalytic converters on.

#3 ·
I have a similar question - although I see this hasn't had a lot of replies....
Under hard acceleration and any other WOT driving, I hear my exhaust hissing (sort of under the passenger floorboard), and I feel like I'm losing power at the top end when the hissing starts.

I just got my X, and haven't even crawled under it yet (partially because it's cold outside, and I have no clean ground to do so). Previous experience tells me catalytic converter is getting clogged... Does anyone agree with that, and why or why not?

Second, are there any other threads, here or elsewhere, which can show me what would be involved in either replacing it with straight pipe or knocking the ceramic out of it?

I do not need to pass emissions in my locale - a rural area.

Thanks!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info! Not very exciting news tho....

Let's say that's it: from the looks of that pic I'd rather have something a bit more free flowing; what would you recommend?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.