Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Auxiliary Reverse Lights

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  slightlywicked76 
#1 ·
After tinting my tail lights its next to impossible to see when backing up in low light conditions so its time for after market reverse lights. Will any fog or flood pattern work well for this? I was thinking two Hella FF75 fogs on the roof or would it be better to have them low like bumper level?

#2 ·
I haven't installed any on mine yet, but plan to soon. I was looking at the KC backup lights. But any fog/flood pattern should work fine.

edit: as far as under the bumper or on the roof, I think it's up to you. I'm putting mine somewhere near the bumper.

#4 ·
I wish I would have planned on putting reverse lights when I built the bumper and I'd have cut wholes and recessed them in the bumper. I still could but I'd need to get it repainted.

#5 ·
I just picked up some cheapo ones from Advanced for my old Xterra... I think they cost me about $25 and they worked just fine for reversing/warning a-holes who ride my back bumper. I put them on the roof and there were no issues with the tire carrier blocking the light.

#7 ·
Threw an xoskel rear light rack and some cheep opt tonics lights from Walmart with a relay setup. Works like a charm. There low profile and throw a ton of light. Works great!

#9 ·
A couple people have cut out their rear corner pieces and mounted the lights in there. I haven't seen anyone cut the actual bumper but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't by now

#12 ·
And those lights you mentioned look like they have a lip around the outer edge correct? If so they would look nice. I build my rear bumper outa 1/4" and 3/16" with cutoff discs so the stock bumper should cut right thru

#14 ·
I ended up getting Piaa backup lights about a year ago. I mounted them to the bottom of the bumper. I'd say if you plan on off roading a lot, then mount them up high. Otherwise they seem very effective where I put them. Just keep an eye out for those sneaky tree stumps and what not.

#15 ·
I mounted two KC 55W floods off the back of mine. I mounted then high because I have a lopro rack. It provides a lot of light when backing. They are wired to the reverse lights as well as a stand alone switch.

Pros of high mounting:
- provide light over the top of terrain (reducing shadows)
- can be moved/swivled to illuminate anythng at the rear of the vehicle

Cons:
- when the hatch is open it blocks the lights

I have dark tint on my windows (keeps the beggers away) and the additional light is great to have. I attached a couple pics.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.