Nissan XTerra Forum banner

My Xterra is Dead - End of an Era

9K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
I am sad to say that my X has died for probably the last time.

The engine threw some stuff that was supposed to stay IN the engine OUT of the engine on Rt 195 on Wednedsay, making a load bang and a hole that spewed oil and smoke from under the hood in somewhat dramatic fashion.

I am working my ass off doing hurricane/disaster response work...and have zero $ to fix it.

I borrowed a car to get to work, etc, but, can't even buy another one...luckily I can borrow it for a while, but, its a nissan cube, and it can't get through even the beach properties I am working at, due to the large amount of debris on the streets, sink holes, etc.

So, with the X down for the count, no $ and no Time to fix or even replace it...I'm afraid I'm xterra-less in NJ.

:heul3-big:

#28 ·
As there are other issues with the X, I've decided to buy another 1st gen, and just swap stuff over.

That will free me from the bell housing/clutch/flywheel/starter mismatches I've been plagued with.

So, need a gently used 1st gen I can use as a mule.

:D

#29 ·
As there are other issues with the X, I've decided to buy another 1st gen, and just swap stuff over.

That will free me from the bell housing/clutch/flywheel/starter mismatches I've been plagued with.

I believe that's the best plan.

Hate to hear it had to happen though.. Good luck with finding one and everything!

#31 ·

Sweet TJ I'd hate to see you without an X. :D

#32 ·
Now I just need to find a 1st gen with enough life left to mod up.

#35 ·
The price was fair, but looking for lower miles...I drive a LOT of miles per year.

#36 ·
Hi TJTJ,
I live in Oregon, but I bought two first gens with low miles in Penn and NJ. I had to quit my 5 speed truck for an automatic. I miss the 5 speed, but I don't miss all the extra pain with my rheumatoid arthritis!
I really hope you can find a nice rig to do the swap over.
There seems to be a bunch of Xterra's in your area.

#39 ·
We can start an internet campaign....Find TJTJs NEXTerra! lol...

sooo....TJTJ...just how FAR are you willing to travel for the right Xterra?!

#41 ·
#42 ·
#46 ·
If i ever find a good deal on a second gen, ill sell you mine... IF i find a new x.

#47 ·
LOL

Thanks Guys!

It will never sell for that, to a savvy person at least...but they do say it has NEVER been off road.

I DO like the little stove in the back though, that could be handy.

#49 ·
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I too will soon be without an Xterra. The brakes failed on me on the road, so I had to have it towed. The garage looked it over, it needed new brakes, rotors, calipers, and a whole slew of other things replaced. Now I also need to get new tires again because the tires wore out prematurely because of alignment issues. It's time for this to go.

If anyone in NJ wants a 2001 Xterra, black, 5 speed manual, contact me. I'll be taking new pics once I have a clear day. It has a new timing belt from October. The inspection sticker is good till June.

#50 ·
I know I've been accused of making mall crawler mods because I like how something looks over it being at all functional... but even I'm looking at that and going... damn... :biggrin:

And TJ, I wish there was something we could do to help. You're one of the most awesome people around here always going above and beyond to help out anyone and everyone. I know you'll be back in the saddle soon though and can't wait to see what you end up doing with a new steed :biggrin:

#51 ·
I just saw this TJ. Sorry to hear what happened. I know how you feel though. I've had my xterra for over 10 years and 170k miles and it's really starting to have issues. The RMS is pretty much pouring out oil. I'm just hoping to get through the winter and then see what I want to do with it. Good luck with yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.