Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Question on egr vlave and cats....please help

26K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  silverbullet 
#1 ·
OK so I was wondering if you guys could help me locate my egr valve.. I think it may be gummed up and needs to be replaced or cleaned... Also one of my cats is going out, passenger side... so i was wanting to cut them out, i live in idaho so passing emissions isnt an issue. But i was wondering will it affect the o2 sensors? if so how do i get around it? Thanks for your help and advice.

also it is a 2000 3.3 v6.. thanks

#2 ·
You should see the EGR Valve on the drivers side of the intake manifold

#6 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I don't have the EGR valve located in the spot with the picture on my 02. Neither does my buddy with his 02. Am I missing something?

#8 ·
Cool thanks Ian.

#9 ·
My Xterra doesn't have an EGR apparatus either. No Solenoid, no Valve actuator.You say it may have been bound for the Canadian market? I have the Carfax and my Xterra was originally sold and still is a California vehicle. So my Xterra simply does not have a Exhaust Gas Recirculation what so ever?

#10 ·
I believe the EGR valve was on the earliest 2000 X's then it was dropped from about mid year. I have a 2000 X production date 8/99 and that one has the EGR, I had some problems with my EGR temp sensor and when researching parts, etc I found that info out about some 2000's have it and some don't.

#14 ·
My '03 has an EGR, but it is located lower than the one in the posted photo. It is kinda under the intake manifold on the driver's side. I know that you can delete them on some systems without any negative effects (other than possibly failing a visual inspection). If you delete the cats, it shouldn't affect the O2 sensors because they are located before the cats, but I'm not sure on that one. Also, with the efficiency of modern cats, there is really no benefit to deleting them unless you are building an ultra-high horsepower engine.

#16 ·
Joel, go back and read some earlier posts in this thread and you'll understand.

#17 ·
Yeah I saw some were going to be sold in canada. My scond question is. Does the 2002 xettra have an exhaust valve? If so where is it? See I'm losing compression in the fourth cylinder, it's hard to crank when it is hot, and it seems to be out of timing. I heard it could be the egr or the exhaust valve. If not neither of these what could it be? Plus the Nissan place told me it would be easier to put a new engine in it. They gave me a price of $8,000.00. So I guess I'm on my own on this one. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.