Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2007 Xterra lift - slip indicator (VDC) light comes on

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 ·
I just installed a front spacer and a rear aal (single leaf) and put on a set of 285/70R17 tires on the factory alloys.

For some reason, and only on hard right turns at a pretty good clip, I get the SLIP indicator light coming on.

I searched a lot of theads here and I see that a lot of people have done these mild lifts, but it seems like more gen 1's than gen 2's.

Anyone have this problem or heard of it and know what is causing it? I can shut it off but I'd feel better if I fixed it.

Thanks.

#3 ·
FYI, when I first got my tires plus lift, my slip went off all the time...the reason...me taking it too fast for a rig that's lifted + M/T tires. Furthermore, if you put any wheel shine on your tire, you're going to slip a lot more. I had to learn to approach the corners better.

#4 ·
Sounds to me like your shocks are maxing out. I'd contact PRG about your extended shock options so you can start saving for some good ones.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/category/xterra/

Mine are a little too short too and limit my articulation bigtime.

That's a good point. How high did you lift your rig?

If you went above 2.5", you'll need to look at new shocks.

#5 ·
The lift up front was only 1.5" (maybe 2"). It's the spacer that goes on top of the original coil-over assembly and doesn't compress the spring. It was *supposed* to not require new shocks, but the aal wasn't *supposed* to need new U-bolts (but it did).

I was thinking that the oversized tires are no longer spinning at the same rpms at the same speed as the factory tires. I thought that might throw off the VDC and that a reflash of the pcm would be something to look at (not interested in getting whacked by the dealer or called-to-the-carpet on the lift voiding my warranty or something like that...).

Thanks for the quick replies.

#6 · (Edited)
To be honest, we could use more details. Oversized, RPM's, Factory, huh??? If you changed all your tires and they are all the same size, it doesn't matter if they're monster tires. Don't reflash anything, if your Speedo is off we can help you with that but details are necessary.

Which Brand/Size Lift on the front??

Which Brand/Size AAL on the Rear??

Which Brand/Size Tires are you running on??

To be honest, those spacers on the front are just fine, it's your rear tire that is lifting off the ground. I'm pretty certain replacing the rear shocks with longer ones while slowing down around corners is your fix.

#8 ·
More info...

Ok, I'm running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. They're rated for 65 psi and I'm running them with 45 psi.

The lift kit is from Auto Spring Corp. out of Boise, ID. I went back and looked at the info and they claim 2 1/2" front and 1 1/2"-2" rear lift/leveling.

The bolts are all torqued and I even sprang for the cam bolt kit and had the alignment done by pros.

It does make sense that the rear tire might be lifting up just enough to make the system think that it's going to roll. I feel better about that. Do you still think that the right size shocks (all around or just rear) would fix that?

Attachments

#9 ·
Just the Rear. Your fronts are still the same because the spacer goes on top of the coil bucket. The OEM shocks are rediculously short, as you can see from mine. That looks like every bit of 2" that you got packed under the rear to me so I'm pretty certain that can max them out. I have only 4" above stock height travel in mine, I maxed them out to see. After lifting 2", I'm always topping them out since there's only 2" more remaining in the shaft. PRG is currently looking into some longer Adjustable Air Shocks for those of us Armadas who have Load Leveling suspension.

#11 · (Edited)
i LOVE them!!!!! I've never cared for A/T's much but decided to try straying away from M/T's since this is the family hauler and these things ROCK for A/T's. I still get a couple of the neighbor kids staring as I drive down the road. These are wearing down verrrrry slowly. For my next set, probably at around 80k miles, I'll have a very tough decision between another set of these or Cooper Discoverer STT's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.