Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Off-road no longer offered with "integrated

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  TopJimmy 
#1 · (Edited)
////// UPDATE BELOW. UPDATE BELOW. UPDATE BELOW. \\\\\

Hello All,

Ordered a new Off-road. The dealer is now telling me that, as of 3/3-2010, the Off-road no longer comes with the "integrated" navigation system.

Have you heard anything about this?

Best,

pajacobsen

////// UPDATE \\\\\\

It did, indeed, appear that the manufacturing of the quasi built-in navigation system was EOL on in March 2010. However, my dealer was able to find parts (the cradle and the system) in inventory and installed it, so I should be good.

My current challenge is to figure out if they installed the cradle correctly (see my thread on this point).

Best,

pajacobsen

P.S. I have the '10 Maxima, and I think the (top-of-the-line) electronics package is outstanding, including the GPS system (except that the GPS system talks too much (bla-bla-bla). If Nissan decides to put that in the X', it will make a for a great value-add. How it stands up to the rough-and-tumble OR crowd's day-to-day treatment is, of course, another matter.

See less See more
#5 ·
With the inexpensive portable options now out, its a waste to have a permanent mount as part of the dash, that will be obsolete in a couple of years, etc.

:D

#8 ·
Whats a map? :D As a Land Surveyor.. its a double edged sword.. I enjoy making maps...
and I enjoy using my GPS to get me to the next job... What people dont know is..the current GPS tech.. is obsolete I forget the date but they are upgrading to a new signal
And I know with our current GPS equipment it will not work.. So I have a feeling the little gps boxes wont use the new signal either

#9 ·
Whats a map? :D As a Land Surveyor.. its a double edged sword.. I enjoy making maps...
and I enjoy using my GPS to get me to the next job... What people dont know is..the current GPS tech.. is obsolete I forget the date but they are upgrading to a new signal
And I know with our current GPS equipment it will not work.. So I have a feeling the little gps boxes wont use the new signal either
That's gonna make for some really expensive upgrades in survey gear.

#11 ·
You may be right on that poit, but, since the Military still relies on GPS for good amount of their direction, I have to think that GPS will be around for another decade at the least. Im pretty sure they have been upgrading each satelite they send up for the conversion inthe future though.

It is supposed to be a lot like google earth that is presently being used, but of course, more accurate.

Like when GPS first came out and it was only accurate to within 10 feet because the miltary didnt want civis getting to close.

Crap man, if I am within 10 ft of something the military doesnt want to be close to, they are gonna let me know WAAAAAY before I hit the 10ft thresh hold

#12 ·
Like when GPS first came out and it was only accurate to within 10 feet because the military didn't want civilians getting to close.
I could get accurate Cords back then... They would throw error in the code
so all we had to do was call in and get some figures.. till 1999 when Clinton signed a bill to allow this error code to be done away with. And the GPS our armed services uses isnt the same.. It NEW tech! Still with today hand held GPS your only going to be up to 4" accurate.. My Survey gear can be to the nearest 100th of a inch..:D (Depending on the time of day)

#14 ·
What people dont know is..the current GPS tech.. is obsolete I forget the date but they are upgrading to a new signal
Is this what you're talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_modernization

It says 2013 (or 2011), but it seems to be a new system. No mention that current satellites will be shot down or anything. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.