Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2000 X misfire issues!

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Clutch Kick 
#1 ·
Hello fellow xterra owners, I suppose it is time to stop surfing unregistered and ask some questions of my own!

I've got a 2000 xterra, with 156k on the clock. Purchased the truck a month ago with a snapped timing belt, and got it to run by replacing the belt! Unfortunately, the truck had been sitting for a few months, with unknown maintenance before my ownership. Since the timing service, o have replaced

-distributor assembly, including cap and rotor
-plugs (denso) and wires
-fuel filter
-air filter
-cleaned MAF sensor
-seafoamed vacuum system and fuel system

After all of this, my X STILL has a p0300 random misfire, and p0325 knoll sensor code. So I am out of ideas, and not sure where to turn next...:clueless:

#3 ·
I should also note that the distributor fixed te majority of my idle issues, but drivability is terrible. The engine will not free rev passed 3500 rpm without load, nor will it exceed 3500 rpm while under load. It's like it hits a wall in Any gear.
This makes me think of a bad MAF Sensor or bad connection in the plug.

#4 ·
I like that handle, Clutch Kick. Another reason why I miss my manual trannies :biggrin:

MAFs can be finicky, sometimes they take well to cleaning, sometimes they don't.

After it was sitting for all the time was the fuel drained before it was started again? I've had plenty of issues with fuel injectors clogging with bad fuel. Most of the time I don't get them working even after cleaning, they need to be replaced completely. They're tricky to test though as you've got to pull them and take them someplace that can put them under pressure.

Hopefully that'll give you a place to start and lead you to the problem really soon.

#5 ·
also if you didnt drain the tank, the fuel filter is possibly clogged again. Also if you had the throttle position sensor off for any reason, it may need to be adjusted.

#7 ·
You guys are right on top of helping out, very cool. Clutch kick comes from my 240sx, it's more fun sideways :)

How do I go about adjusting the throttle position sensor? The fuel tank was drained completely, and filter was changed after two tanks of gas. Is there any place on the fuel rail that a fuel pressure tester can be used, didn't notice one.

Also, is there a chance that my cats could be clogged?

#8 ·
I love how many of us have come from a 240SX background :biggrin: That's where I got most of my experience modding cars from too. Buggery S13, broken more often then it's drifting... yet why do I love it so much?!

As far as the TPS goes, you may have some luck reading through this thread.

For the fuel injectors, I'm not sure about the 1st gen fuel rail, you may be better off having them checked one at a time.

The cats should have their own code if they clog or have something wrong with them that the sensor picks up. I think it's P0420(?) that the cats throw. I should know that was the first thing that ever happened with my X lol.

Good luck running that code down, I'm sure it won't put up a fight for much longer!

#9 ·
Adjusted my TPS, not the issue. Runs much worse disconnected. Disconnected my MaF, andunfortunately seemed to run smoother without it... Might be in the maker for a replacement piece. Cleaned te objections for my TPS, MAF an distributor. Idle misfire appears to be gone for the moment. My PCV system seems a little gummed up still, going to try and seafoam it again tonight. My poor xterra has been abused in the past, but she has found a good home now! I'd love to stop buying maintenance parts, so I can start buying suspension parts :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.