Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Square to Round Lights??

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  iwashmycar 
#1 ·
Has anyone found aftermarket lights that will take a 1st gen square and make them round? I was thinking of taping off a circle in the center of the glass and paint everything else black. You think that would greatly reduce the amount of light? Good or bad idea? Right now they don't put much light out as they are. I know some people completely tint the entire glass.

#2 ·
I did that once in my younger (and much more.....inexperienced) days. I would vote against it. The paint would flake off of the plastic very easily, and it ended up looking like crap after about a month when running at night. Light would leak through all the little nicks and dings. repainting them was a pain, so I gave up at some point and decided to sand it off, but the paint had soaked into the plastic by that point and no amount of sanding was bringing it out. It just ended up looking like I had really really dirty foggy lights in the end. I also ended up having to put 2 sets of fog lights on the car Just to drive around and see, because when they were painted I couldnt see crap at night.

#3 ·
I didn't go round but I did paint angry "brows" on the top of the lights to make it look a bit more childish, er sorry, make it look more "aggressive". Yeah, that's the ticket!
I wouldn't do round because you'd wind up with two 4" circles. With a nose full of rectangles on the v1.0 Xterras the round lights would look out of place.
As far as light output goes, try re-aiming them a bit. That made a big difference on mine.

#6 · (Edited)
The square lights look 100X better than the rounds!! I'd be happy with them. If it didnt require a new hood, I'd swap out for the old square lights if I could lol

I do have Silverstar zXe bulbs in my FJ and they are BRIGHT. I would recommend them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.