Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Suggested Maintenance @ 182,000km

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sphonaut 
#1 ·
Hi,

My 2002 4x4 3.3l Xterra is officially retired from the workforce into a Expedition (fishing & camping) Vehicle only.

Now i would like to make sure I do not get STUCK in the back country.

What do you suggest to replace at 182,000km? I am thinking more electrical but undetermined...

I am owning the vehicle since 2009 /92,000km I changed following parts on schedule / necessity:Timing Belt,Water Pump, Spark Plugs, Fluids (all differential /transfer/transmission,engine oil) Crankshaft sensor,Oil pan seal,shocks & leaf springs.

Do we 02 owners have a distributor issue, how can I test this?

Adrian

#2 ·
All of the 1st Gen trucks are susceptible to the bearing failing in the distributor. It can be a simple fix consisting of replacing the failing bearing or you can just replace the distributor. You can check to see if yours may be on the way out by following the steps in the DIY for replacing the bearing and inspecting it.

Other then that sounds like you are current on the maintenance maybe just consider carrying some basic spares for the engine. Belts, hoses, clamps, fluids, spare alternator, fuses and alike. Spare auto hubs are handy as well. If you are solo wheeling I would invest in a winch as well.

#3 ·
Beyond what Racer said your wheel bearings could probably use a repacking.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that my mechanic repacked the bearing during a break job. I got new breaks around 160,000km.

I checked some DIY`s, do you think my mechanic will be able to determined if my distributor is still ok by pulling the distributor?
Or should I just consider replace it?

I guess I could start replacing everything :-(

Thanks,

Adrian

#6 ·
Hard to say. If you pay someone to pull it you might as well see if he can install a bearing while he is there. Make sure he is willing to do it before you get him to pull it out. The distributor doesn't really fail but the bad bearing causes the electrics to fail sometimes. If that makes any sense.

Look through the DIY to get a better idea of what is going on in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.