Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Rear Window defroster.....

14K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Lester-clan 
#1 ·
OK folks here's a new problem.....

The rear window defroster is not working, I push the button on the dash it lights, clicks and does not go on....

sounds to me like a relay....
where is the relay located ...?

Thanks

#3 ·
Zombie thread time. Long shot I'm sure. Did you ever find the relay? I ask because right now that's my next step in the FSM procedures for determining where the fault is. I can hear the bugger clicking but sometimes it sounds like it's behind the interior fuse box, or the center console, or just over where my gas foot is...

#4 ·
I found it!!

:huepf2-big:
Zombie thread time. Long shot I'm sure. Did you ever find the relay? I ask because right now that's my next step in the FSM procedures for determining where the fault is. I can hear the bugger clicking but sometimes it sounds like it's behind the interior fuse box, or the center console, or just over where my gas foot is...
You are correct. If you get under the dashboard on the driverside, you will see more than one relay acctualy. The one for the rear window defroster is a blue one beding the fusebox. It slides down and you can pull it out and hangs there so that it would be easier to replace. Once replaced slide it back into place. It may be a little tight to slide but is for security. You dont want that sliding back out when your driving but it will be fine if you make sure it slide back into place. I did replaced mine but it did not help so for me I think it may be the actual button on the dash. I checked the window itself and looks fine. You may be lucky and it may acctualy be the relay. Good luck and let us know.

#5 ·
If you get under the dashboard on the driverside, you will see more than one relay acctualy. The one for the rear window defroster is a blue one beding the fusebox. It slides down and you can pull it out and hangs there so that it would be easier to replace. Once replaced slide it back into place. It may be a little tight to slide but is for security. You dont want that sliding back out when your driving but it will be fine if you make sure it slide back into place. I did replaced mine but it did not help so for me I think it may be the actual button on the dash. I checked the window itself and looks fine. You may be lucky and it may acctualy be the relay. Good luck and let us know.

#7 ·
:angst-big:
Hmm, got it swapped out, decided to test the old one, no issues with continuity... guess i'll wait until the next frosty window day and try it then, any ideas where to go next? i'm assuming I'll need to start tracing that wire back to try and find a break... I hate that part
Yeah. Bummer. I'm guessing it could be the switch at the dashboard itself. I have not been able to find a replacement online. I will keep trying. I hate to leave it not working. Please let us know what you find. Thanks and good luck. Hope you get it fixed.

#9 ·
Does your switch light up when you press it? I've got the same issue as the OP where I press the switch, the relay clicks, and the light comes on. 15 minutes later the light goes out just like it's supposed to. Kinda making me lean towards break in wiring
At first it would come on and then shut off only after a couple of minutes. Then it would come on and shut off after a few seconds. Then it stopped coming on at all. When I changed the relay, it did not come on at all. Then I pressed the button on the dash on and off constantly for a few seconds (cuz I was mad that it did not fix the problem) and all of the sudden in came on and I was like YES! But then it never came back on. So now I have a new relay installed but still no defogger working. I want to replace the switch on the dash but have not found one online yet. I may have to visit a junk yard to see if they have one. I hope it does not come to that.

#10 ·
Does your switch light up when you press it? I've got the same issue as the OP where I press the switch, the relay clicks, and the light comes on. 15 minutes later the light goes out just like it's supposed to. Kinda making me lean towards break in wiring
On a related note, the relay does not "click" either when the switch on the dashboard does not light up. When the switch on the dashboard lights up then I hear the relay "click". It "clicks when it comes on and when it comes off. But if the switch on the dashboard does not light up then there is no "clicking" of the relay. This leads me to believe that the problem may be with the switch on the dashboard. It may not be making good contact or something. This is why I want to replace it.

#12 ·
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[27561R]+\%28wd22&cPath=532_14_53_403

Here's the buttons on Courtesy Parts, for 5 bucks it might be worth a shot since that does sound like a pretty viable solution for you. I'm leaning more and more towards a break in the wiring, which is not gonna be pretty to repair or get repaired.
First off, thank you very much for finding this for me. I was about to post that I read on some places that the whole a/c control unit had to be replaced becauase also some lights on the a/c controle are also not working so at night is hard to see it and that there was no way to change the light itself but rathr the whole unit. This may be worth a shot since is not too much money. Only may be time investing. However at looking at the pictures for these control units I see they are connected to like a circuit board. I think I will try to replace the switch first and if that does not work may consider the whole unit because could mean that the circuit board may be at fault as well. It does not look like a difficult swap at all but at around 70-90 $ a pop I really have to eliminate small things first. Here is a pic of one

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
No. I have stopped working on this issue for the moment. Its too cold up here and so far has not have the dier need to use it. So I think I will let weather warm up a bit before I look into it further. I know by then I will not need the defroster but this way I will fix it and have it ready for next winter. I know is a bulb that has done bad based on other forums and pictures I have seen. I dont know if I want to just go thru all the trouble and replace just the one bulb and the one button for the defroster or just swap the whole control unit. I guess I will make that decision when the time comes around based on time and budget.

#17 ·
If anyone knows what pins to jumper at the relay or also behind the switch, that would be great! Also, my Chilton book says for fuse check the power distribution block in the engine bay, mine doesn't have a fuse labeled as such there. The interior fuse panel does and that is what I checked.

#18 ·
I've looked under my dash, there are two blue relays. One directly behind the fuse panel, by a little black box. The other is just to the center console side of the steering shaft. Both are the same part number. Tried swapping the two with each other and couldn't see any differences with any systems. Kind of stumped with this one. Any ideas from anybody?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.