Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Suggestions for a New Gun?!

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ryandavenport 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Planning on getting a gun soon (thanks Obama lol). I have my CCW for North Carolina and used to have a Glock 23 .40...but sold it last summer, and have not yet replaced it.

I don't usually carry...so concealability is not a huge factor. I would like to down size to a 9mm round, semi auto handgun.

The only real thought I had was a springfield XD...I've shot it once before I owned my own gun, and loved the way it felt...and I really liked the palm/grip safety.

Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone had any other suggestions?!

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I love My XDM 40.. I bought the 3.8 inch barrel with the full size grip. Only a couple things you need to watch thats the metal mags will rattle when loaded, and the gun I have doesn't like to drop a full mag so I have have to work the slide a time or two before dropping it.

I love shooting mine. I get to shoot my Hubby's Glock 22 often, and I am not sure which one I love to shoot more.

#3 ·
I would say go back with the Glock. I just picked up my girlfriend a Glock 19 for Christmas, and I like it better than my Beretta. I have never cared for Springfields at all, but that is just a personal opinion. If you think that you might even want to carry, you are best getting something that conceals well now. That is why I would suggest the Glock 19 or Glock 26 for 9mm. I personally will be picking up the Glock 36 as my next gun, as I am ready to carry a gun without a thumbswitch safety on it.

#4 ·
look into the smith and wesson M&P's. I carry a M&P 40c as my everyday. im personally not a fan of glock. everyone and their uncle has one and they are no better than the XD or M&P. (not to mention they are ugly and boring) i personally like guns you can talk to people about. like HK's or 1911 but those can get expensive.

PS: go ahead and post your "I hate you Because you dont like glock" replies, im just not a fan.

#5 ·
^^ I hate you because you don't like Glocks. Just kidding. Everyone has an opinion. I don't really care for the s&w either, but that is the great thing about choosing a gun. Everyone has difference preferences, and there are so many choices on the market that there is sure to be a gun for everyone. I really want a Kimber, based on the fact that it is a beautiful gun. However, I have never shot one. If I shoot one and dislike it, the looks alone will not get me to purchase it. Try stuff out a lot. Shoot and shoot some more to figure out what you like. $50 to find out you don't like something from a range rental is cheaper than the $500 or more that you would have otherwise spent on it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
i have a Kmber Pro CDP. I LOVE IT. it shoots .40 and feels like its shooting 9mm. extremely smooth, just an all around gorgeous gun. but it cost me $800
I forgot which one I wanted. I want it in the traditional .45 cap and with a short enough barrel that I can comfortably carry. I will buy it as a graduation present for myself when I get out of school if there are any left.

#11 ·
To actually add helpful insight to my Springfield haters retort, :mocking:

If I were to buy another 9mm and size/concealment wasn't an issue, Sig Sauer P226 hands down, without hesitation, remorse, regret, or second thought. I've shot many handguns, including Glock (which suck :mocking:) and S&W, but I have yet to shoot a 9mm that is as comfortable, accurate, and as smooth operating as the P226. The only problem I had with the P226 was my friend trying to take it away from me... it was his gun. lol

I had a Glock and thought I liked it but eventually sold it. I thought my horrific accuracy with it was just me being a bad shot (which I didn't think I was) but I went and tested the XD above and right out of the box, shot a 4" group at 25'. SOLD. The action is much, MUCH smoother than the Glock and even a Glock lover said the same when he shot it. A nice light trigger (about 4.5 lbs on mine) and it just has a natural fit to my hands. The Glock never felt that way for me.

Glock is an outstanding firearm. No doubts about that. But after doing research (when I was baffled as to how I was so much better with the XD compared to my old Glock when they essentially were the same platform), I found that Glocks have a different grip angle than the XD. For example, if I was to draw, point, shoot (as in a defense situation where you aren't able to ADS) with my XD, there is a very good chance I am going to be center mass... VERY good chance. With the Glock, because of it's grip angle, my natural "point" was at least 6" high. I found this to also be a problem for me with S&W and Beretta.

Pistols can be a lot like shoes. What fits someone perfectly, will not work for the next person. Overall hand size, finger length, palm size, etc. all play a big factor in how well you perform with any pistol. If you are buying a pistol that "looks cool" or because "my buddy has one", you are buying for the wrong reason. I will take an ugly brick of a gun that I can consistently hit center mass with over an elegant work of art I would be better off throwing at someone any day.

Save the beautiful gun purchase for a 1911. For defense, buy what works. Gun quality has come a long way recently so there are only a few options to be leary of. Buy what works best for you. Find a range/gun shop that rents pistols and try some out and see what fits for you. It is how I found my XD which I never would have considered in any way before I shot one.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm either going to get a Springfield XD .40 or a 1911. I love those two guns. I think you should get whatever you are comfortable with, both in round size and design. M&P's are boss, as are a Glock. I dont plan on showing mine off (too much :-D), but want to instill the fear of god when I have to show it off. And thats why I sleep in arms reach of a Mossberg 12ga pump!

#14 ·
I wish I'd never got rid of my Casull 454, but it was an expensive to feed cannon for an extra week of hunting. Love my S&W 39-2 for a 9mm. I may get something else soon too before the knee jerk idiots punish the law abiding for the insane's actions.

#17 ·
Luke, I am guessing that you mean PM9 or CW9, the CW being the concealed weapon version. I have heard good things about Kahrs, but I have never shot one. I personally like Glocks and Berettas myself. I don't care for anything in the Springfield line at all so far. The Kahr is an expensive gun, but it could be a good choice for carrying as it is fairly small. The best thing that you could do is get out and shoot it. You may end up hating it. I thought that I wanted a Ruger LC9 until I shot one, then I decided that it wasn't for me at all.

#19 ·
I've never shot any of them. $400 isn't bad. See if you can shoot it and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.