Nissan XTerra Forum banner

4x4 swap/SAS

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Akuria 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm running a 2x4 2002 xe and was wondering how logical it is to do a 4wd conversion and a SAS in one shot. Is going solid axle going to make the 4wd conversion any easier then staying IFS?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm not sure there is much of anything "easy" about your project... :)

If you're planning on doing all that, and fully dedicated to the cause (it's really a lot easier to start with a 4x4) than do it all at once in case there are mods and things you need to do to make it work (cutting/fabbing, etc.).

There is benefit to having stages in a project in the event you need to pause or hold off, you've hit a milestone and may still have a functioning vehicle instead of a project basket case for a while, but we all stir up our own bowl of crazy.

#3 ·
The benefit going straight to a SAS is you start without the weakpoints of the factory 4wd. If your going to convert to 4wd it is smarter to sas. You still have to swap the trans/tcase or add a divorced tcase either way you go.

#6 ·
In my head I saw myself doing Wills "everyman's SAS" with the addition of a Tcase and driveshaft. Since She's my DD I dont really want to lift her more then 3 or 4 inches so I was going to do a 3in SL in the rear with Bils and run 32s or 33s.

#9 ·
Ya but I go to school in SoCal and unfortunately log a lot of freeway miles going home to norcal every so often and such and dont want to be getting like 7-9mpg haha. 33s would be my biggest.

#10 ·
Just curious to know if you made any progress on your swap?

I was thinking you could do it in stages as well. You could swap the tranny and Tcase. add the rear driveshaft and run it without the front wheels connected until you can get into the SAS swap. it would be basicly driving as a 2x4 but with the 4x4 tranny and Tcase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.