Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Head bolt, replace or not

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  gogogsr 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I just did an oil change today and my oil was like a milkshake (coolant in it) so i'm planning on doing a cylinder head overhaul and was wondering if i can re-use the cylinder head bolts?
thanks guys

#2 ·
usually head bolts have a thread that kind of stretches a bit when installed. they are installed under a pretty insane torque setting and you run a risk of stripping one out if you reuse them. thats not to say that if you did use them you would have trouble, but I personally wouldnt risk it.

#10 · (Edited)
It may not be leaking in the cumbustion chambers, but if it looked like milkshake, antifreeze is getting into the lower end. This can come from many areas, including a cracked or warped head, failed head gasket or rot through the waterjacket. (often the heads)
Don't run it with the milkshake, it will trash the rod and main bearings.

Never reuse head bolts! ever!!!

#11 ·
Ok guys, so i just did the leakdown test and here are the results:
The tool i used is similar to this one (custom made):

Pressure was set on 50 psi on the left gauge, after plugging to the hose pressure drop to 40 and the right gauge reading was:
cyl : 31 =22%
cyl2: 36 =10%
cyl3: 35 =12%
cyl4: 35 =12%
cyl5: 35 =12%
cyl6: 32 =20%

I did notice a crackle sound on cylinder 4 and 6, kind of a metal gasket crushing. No bubbles in rad, no intake leak, no exhaust leak, just crankcase blow by, which considering the truck has 200,000 km on it seems fair. Remember that the compression was 170 across the board.

I'm thinking it could be the intake manifold lower gasket, what you guys think??
thanks guys

#12 ·
what do you think of this hypothesis: Intake manifold gasket is leaking from its water port directly into the runner, which then drop into the combustion chamber, hence the white smoke. Some of it pass through the rings hence contamining the oil just a bit.
What you think???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.