Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New guy to the club here. I need help.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  robcarync 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to the club and would like to get working on my
2004 xterra
Color- Canteen Green
Everything is stock and would love to have a DIY 2" BL
And put Red shackles on and front and rear bumpers on.
But since I'm like most guys money tight but not that tight.
If anyone can help me out on where to buy and price.
Let alone if anyone has done these things to there X can tell me the easiest way to do it. I'm a Nissan man and I love the site and what everyone has done to their X's. Thanks again!

#2 ·
Welcome up.

Most people start by doing the PML (or poor mans lift). This is actually a simple lift using aftermarket shackles for the rear leafs and can be found at 4x4parts.com

Then after you raised the rear with the shackles you have to tighten your torsion bars in the front. The more pressure you apply to them, the more they can raise up the front.

Check you the DIY section to get a feel for how to do a PML.

Then from there, get your feet wet with some wheeling. I've purchased things as I've progressed as a wheeler. So when my truck starts to get limited on specific areas of the trail, I'll look to upgrade that, instead of throwing everything at it at once and not know how the truck handles yet.

#4 ·
Hey, read the PML How to (link in my signature)

The PML IS shackles. Buy 70 dolalr shackles:

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra-rear-lift-shackles-p-145.html

That raises the rear.

The front suspension uses torsion bars as a spring. This stock suspension in the front is adjustable to an extent. By adjusting the torsion bars, you can lift the front a little to match the shackles.

Also, just as a matter of semantics, you aren't exactly increasing the pressure of the torsion bars. The torsion bar springs hold the same weight regardless of ride height...thus they twist the same angle as before. You are just rotating the orientation of the entire bar if that makes sense. Point being, you will not wear your torsion bars out any faster by raising them.

and...WELCOME!

#6 ·
Hey thanks rob for clarifying, just didn't explain it correctly!

I'd hold off on the body lift for now. Wait until you increase your tire size. A BL without larger tires makes them look tiny. Haha

#7 ·
Hey thanks rob for clarifying, just didn't explain it correctly!

I'd hold off on the body lift for now. Wait until you increase your tire size. A BL without larger tires makes them look tiny. Haha
No problem man...I've seen a few new guys get confused, thinking they are actually twisting their torsion bars tighter and afraid they will twist them too tight. Just wanted to clarify, the torsion bars aren't getting twisted any tighter :)

:fan2-big:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.