4WD Long to go back to 2WD [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: 4WD Long to go back to 2WD

mike20255
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I just picked up an 05 Xterra. I was just playing with the 4WD in some mud, nothing major, when I went to put it back to 2WD it took about 3 or 4 minutes for the display to finally stop blinking before it went back to 2WD. Is this a common problem, has anyone seen this? I tried it again on the flat road in neutral, it goes to 4WD very quickly but takes quite a while to switch back to 2WD?

Thanks,
Mike

OdiN
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure about the 2nd gens...on the 1st gens with automatic hubs, you need to put the vehicle in reverse and back up straight for about 10 feet or so to unlock them. At least that is what the owners manual says. First place I'd check is your owners manual to see about disengaging and if there is anything you should do.

Intervention
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I have an 07 and usually I'll pop it into N and switch back to 2wd. If the truck is moving, normally it comes out of 4wd. Once or twice I've had to do the reverse thing.

pro2amendment
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
On mine, (Gen 1 - 2001), if I'm driving while I disengage, and cannot reverse it or anything, if I let of the gas completely, that will often give it enough 'pause' so that it can disengage itself.

I don't think this is a 'problem', it's just that you need to realize that it hasn't disengaged yet... especially if for example you're heading back onto dry pavement, etc....

pro2amendment
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=pro2amendment;125555]if I'm driving while I disengage, and cannot reverse it or anything,

QUOTE]

Just to clarify - it's not that reversing won't work if I can, it just that at times you may find yourself where you cannot easily, e.g. getting back onto good driving surface, and cannot stop and reverse in the middle of the road without backing into the on-coming car :)

breezy
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
i usually switch it on the fly too- usually takes a min or two to get back into 2wd. i haven't tried the neutral or reverse trick but i might. in my full size bronco i'd have to reverse it to get it out of 4wd

mike20255
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Maybe its normal that it takes 3 minutes or so to go back to 2WD. I am use to my dads S10 that goes from 2 - 4 and back very quickly. It is almost instant, I will just have to be more patient lol.

OdiN
04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah if you are travelling forward still it may not be able to safely disengage everything - so it waits until it can to do it - such as letting off the gas, etc. Ideally you want to switch when you are stopped, but that doesn't always happen.

Drake
04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe its normal that it takes 3 minutes or so to go back to 2WD. I am use to my dads S10 that goes from 2 - 4 and back very quickly. It is almost instant, I will just have to be more patient lol.

I used to have an S10 myself and the hubs engage with the help of a vacuum actuator so travelling direction isn't the issue. What IS the issue is the geniuses at GM who came up with the vacuum actuator system thought it would be a great idea to mount it under the hood and route the hoses along the exhaust to the t-case. RUBBER HOSES!!! I can't even begin to count the number of times I burned that hose in two.

Fzzt
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Hubs might need servicing too. Fresh lube might speed up them up disengaging. Never know if the previous owner used the 4wd all that often or serviced them.

crazyoldcoot
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
For some reason if I take a sharp slow turn they disengage immediately. Otherwise, it can take a little bit to disengage on their own.

kewlguy53403
04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
I find that if I lower the rpm by letting off the gas and then raise them by speeding up again, that usually does the trick if I'm moving. If I'm not moving, I've had this issue too. Put some rotations on the tires and it usually switches, aka, driving :)

Luckily, I've never been in 4wd and absolutley had to be in 2wd. Is there such a reason?

thumperpaul
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I get the same thing with my '03 XE, and sometimes my old '88 'Yota with manual hubs took awhile for them to unlock. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Xterra Mike
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Luckily, I've never been in 4wd and absolutley had to be in 2wd. Is there such a reason?

Yes, if you come from a dirt road and need to make a sharp turn on a dry hard surface you will need to get back to 2wd as soon as possible. You might damage something in 4wd turning on a dry hard surface.

OdiN
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I get the same thing with my '03 XE, and sometimes my old '88 'Yota with manual hubs took awhile for them to unlock. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Usually it takes until you get out and unlock them.

granitex
08-20-2009, 09:49 PM
since the second gens have drive flanges instead of locking hubs it is a matter for the transfer case and not the hubs to disengage. With the first gens as soon as you move the lever from 4h to 2h you are in 2h regardless if the hubs are locked or not. With an open front diff it wont matter if the hubs are locked or not, since the transfer case is not powering the front axle there will be no binding.

dkswim
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
30 mph and clutch in and it disengages breaty quick. i have had to back up usuly takes care of itsself as soon as a slightly move backwards.

soccerbrace
08-21-2009, 07:50 AM
It might have got a little wet.

fusionfronty99
08-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Usually it takes until you get out and unlock them.

lol

dylan0123
10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
so in my first gen, if i'm in 4hi, and switch to 2hi on the fly (say 10-20mph), and the 4wd light goes off, does that mean my hubs have become disengaged? or do i still have to stop and reverse before going back on the highway? is it bad for the hubs to be still engaged while in 2hi and driving on dry pavement?

granitex
10-19-2009, 12:31 PM
The sensor that turns on that light is located on the transfer case, it has no indication about the hubs, front diff, or front driveshaft for that matter.If you leave the hubs ingaged all that you will get is a little bit of parasitic drag in the front end. I have never worried about unlocking the hubs, with open diffs they will not bind and at some point they will unlock when you back up. You can take the time to unlock them after wheeling but I never have.

granitex
10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Not running in 4wd on pavement, just not worried about unlocking the hubs. When the transfer case is in 2wd, it really does not matter if the hubs are locked or not.

That and in normal driving the hubs will unlock the first time that you back up anyway, or go forward depending on when you disengaged the transfer case.

dylan0123
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
do you have to be below a certain speed before you shift from 4hi to 2hi?

oh, and do you guys ever use 4hi on the highway when there's snow on it? i've never done it before, so i didnt know if it made it easier to stay on track and not get all squirrelly

granitex
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Look at your sun visors, it has all of the info that you need.

mac11
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
do you have to be below a certain speed before you shift from 4hi to 2hi?

oh, and do you guys ever use 4hi on the highway when there's snow on it? i've never done it before, so i didnt know if it made it easier to stay on track and not get all squirrelly

I think me and Odin agreed on this point in an earlier thread. If the road conditions dictate you need to be in 4WD, you also need to be traveling slower down said roadway.

I also didn't see anyone mention, just for shits and giggles, it's 4 wheel LOW, not long.