coolant drain [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: coolant drain

phrog man
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
hey guys, more maint. how would i drain the coolant fliud on a 1st gen, the fluid looks a little too dark for my liking. has any one flushed theirs before, is there some kind of drain cap on the bottom of the radiator or something?

soccerbrace
11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Should be a petcock on the bottom of the radiator.

baf6
11-24-2008, 06:02 AM
yea, there is a small plug at the bottom of the radiator...if you are doing a full flush, there are also 2 plugs on the block itself, one on either side, below the exhaust manifolds....pick up a haynes manual and it will show you where they are...

or, an easier method is to drain the radiator, refill with water, start the truck and let it reach temp and hold it for a few minutes, then turn off, let cool, and drain again....takes longer, but it works when those drain plugs are being a bitch

phrog man
11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
thanks guys thats all i needed to know, nice info baf6. i think shes up for a full flush.

baf6
11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
no problem....word of advice though, when you locate those plugs on the block, spray them down with PB a few days before the flush...mine refused to budge, so i ended up going the ghetto "flush,fill,repeat" method....if you need, i can send you pics of the drain plugs

also, dont forget the antifreeze! dont get the 50/50 mix, this time of year you should really be running a little more antifreeze than water, so get the regular stuff and mix it yourself about 60/40 (antifreeze to water).....then in the spring/summer, drain out a few quarts, replace with water, and toss in some "water wetter"(really does work, a notice i run about 3 needle's widths cooler according to the temp gauge)

Xterra Mike
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
yea post some pics. I would like to see the drain plugs

baf6
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
ok, ill scan them right from the haynes manual later after work

Xterra Mike
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
are they in the Chilton Manual too?? i have that one.

baf6
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
most likely, look in the general maintenance section...haynes had a pic of them, chilton might just describe the location

baf6
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.courtesyparts.com/images/wd22/wd22_110-2.gif

plug location shown(kind of)...its labeled PLUG 1(08931-3021A), other side is (08931-3041A)...i believe both are 14MM bolts

ill post the exact location later

Xterra Mike
11-24-2008, 11:31 AM
cool thanks

silverbullet
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Chilton and Haynes I think are either the same comany or two companies that merged or owned by the same company. They have prety much identical info though.

baf6
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
there ya go :)

areyes
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
make sure you got a pretty big breaker bar man those suckers are in good wear a pear of gloves too cause you will definetly shed blood after breaking those bolts the one on the driver side is easier to get to its right behind the alternator take the wheel off and the mud flap you'll look directly at it. I think the best would be an air rathchet with 2 feet of 1/2" extension and a universal would be ideal but ehh its fun to dream. when you do get that bolt cracked have a oil pan or something handy cause coolant will come pouring out like crazy. Only one plug needs to be undone it drains out about 95% of the coolant

outwiththeold
11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.courtesyparts.com/images/wd22/wd22_110-2.gif

plug location shown(kind of)...its labeled PLUG 1(08931-3021A), other side is (08931-3041A)...i believe both are 14MM bolts

ill post the exact location later

They are both 3041A, I have some extras. do order them before you try to remove the old ones, you may need a set of bolt out sockets.

outwiththeold
11-26-2008, 01:43 PM
1561 drivers side

1562 pasenger side.
Here are some pis of the drain plugs.

X~Terror
11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah just don't "rinse" the oil out of it...like dumb a$$ mustang guy and you will be OK

Spoteric
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
I was going to flush the coolant today, but have run into a few identification dilemmas. Thankfully I didn't start disassembling until I am able to positively ID everything I will have to do. I am looking for the block drain holes. I saw the pics from a few posts back, but they are too close up right away to get a good grasp on where they are. I took the tire off the front left wheel and can see 2 potential bolts, but both just don't seem right to me. Can someone take more pics and post em up possibly with a wider angle and then zoom in? My other thought is, once you do get these bolts out, is doesn't seem like it will be a direct drain for the fluid into a pan. There seems to be way too many other hoses/pieces of metal in the way, but the fluid will eventually fall to the pan/ground.

2nd - Where is the air relief valve we are supposed to lossen and tighten? I have a 2nd gen model for both these questions. Trying to save money and do things yourslef can get frustrating at times, but I realize once I do it the first time, it will be much easier the next. After doing the oil yesterday and this today, it seems the engineers didn't want the car to be worked on easily.

Thanks for the pics if someone can help me.

outwiththeold
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
"My other thought is, once you do get these bolts out, is doesn't seem like it will be a direct drain for the fluid into a pan. There seems to be way too many other hoses/pieces of metal in the way, but the fluid will eventually fall to the pan/ground"
I used the upper radiator hose on the passenger side to guide the coolant into a bucket, and the lower radiator hose for the drivers side.the drain plugs on mine are 14,mm bolts.

Jackal
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Spoteric, great questions. I too, can't find the air relief valve on my S/C V6. I wonder if it is the black cap on the aluminum tubing just behind and between the driver's side of the radiator and the driver headlight. Not sure. The Hayne's does not show pics or drawings for V6 S/C xterra.

Sidenote: The main problem with the Hayne's manual (as great as it is) is they combined the Frontier, Xterra and Pathfinder in one manual. When they show pics, many times they will show a pic of the frontier or pathy then say "similar for Xterra". But it is not the same-not even close. Heck, even the Xterra's 3 different engines (4 cyl, V6 and V6 w supercharger) are quite different in layout. That is really frustrating when we are trying to solve mechanical problems on our beloved X's.

oldlucky602
01-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Thx for posting pics of the plugs. What would be even more help would be the location of these plugs. I was just under the radiator looking for how I was going to drain the radiator. I see this great helping info., but it's hard to see inside that area, so where are they? And do I need to replace these after breaking them loose? I assume they perform the same function as a pitcock valve.
1561 drivers side

1562 pasenger side.
Here are some pis of the drain plugs.

outwiththeold
01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
they the dealer ship uses rtv on then and they are on very tight.I rounded the heads on these(yes i used a 6 point socket)after that I went to the dealer,but they do not stock them.radiator drain plug is a plastic flat Phillips screw at The bottom of the radiator.