When is it time for a tune up? [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: When is it time for a tune up?

nismojoe
05-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I bought my 2001 se 4wd used and I do not have a owner's manual. It had 70,000 miles on it when I bought it, and now it has 105,000. It is running great with awesome power, but when should I get a tune up?

BOOFER
05-04-2006, 05:21 AM
I bought my 2001 se 4wd used and I do not have a owner's manual. It had 70,000 miles on it when I bought it, and now it has 105,000. It is running great with awesome power, but when should I get a tune up?

Ususally, if you have the platinum or irridium plugs, they reccomend a full tune up at 100K. If it runs as good as you say I wouldnt worry about the tune up so much.

What I would be concerned about would be the belt(s). If its a serpentine belt it will only cost you $50 bux to have it changed at Jiffy Lube.
The other thing is the timing belt. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, you may want to see how much having the timing belt inspected or changed would cost.

The reason this is important, is for example, on older cars, if you loose the timing belt/chain is wasnt a big deal they could line things back up & install a new one.

On these VQ variable timing engines with 4 cams, from what I hear, at least about my Z, if your timing belt goes, you're engine is FUBAR'ed.

And if you're gonna do the belt, ya might as well just go ahead and do the tune up while they're at it.:)

Muzikman
05-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Replace the timing belt at 100k or before.

Boofer is right, a lot of engines if the belt goes, the piston comes up while the valves are down (in one cylinder) and crush them. So now not only do you have to replace the timing belt, but also have to rebuild the heads.

ggunn
05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Replace the timing belt now. I have the Chilton manual for my 2000 SE 2wd. and I looked on the net. It is recommended for my 200 to replace the Timing belt at 105,000.

I think the bottom line on the tune-up issues. Is if you didn't know the person you bought it from or they can't show you receipts for work done on the X. Should do a tune. You don't know when the last time was they did one. Atleast that's what I did/am doing.

Ricer-X
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
a tune up nowadays isnt really as big a deal as it used to be back in the day, with these newer cars all they;ll usually do is check a few filters maybe change one or two, or at least i read that in a cars for dummies book(didnt know they had those!)

ggunn
05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I think people have different meanings for tune-ups.

To me it means change sparks (maybe wires too).
Change/clean air filter(clean if it's K&n/Fram Air Hog)
Change fuel filter (maybe)
Change oil and filter and a general look over/review of the entire car.

Just my $00.0199999999

taylor
05-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Its funny timing, I've literally just come in from changing my fuel filter in my 02 X. btw if you plan on changing the fuel filter make sure when you clamp the ends of the hoses, the clamps don't come off:auslachen2-big: ( gas on clothes not cool) Also changed the plugs last week ,already got approximately 24 kms extra on a tank. The 6th plug back in by the fire wall in a freakin bitch to get at.And I'm not one that has a lot of patience sometimes.:engel-big: BTW met a new neighbour down the street NISSAN GENERAL MANAGER.Great guy to drink with. He's already offered to have the 6th plug changed for nuthin but a couple of cold ones.

BOOFER
05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
BTW met a new neighbour down the street NISSAN GENERAL MANAGER.Great guy to drink with. He's already offered to have the 6th plug changed for nuthin but a couple of cold ones.

Invite him to become a member here. :)

Ricer-X
05-04-2006, 03:15 PM
that 6th plug is a PIA, i still have a spark plug socket back there that i dropped and couldnt find, never fell out either

killbill
06-08-2007, 11:16 PM
The dealership here in Utah told me the tune up is a 105,000. It includes new plugs, wires, belts, timing belt, radiator flush, and tranny flush. All this for the low price of 847.99. The X unfortunatly is the most expensive Nissan to maintain, but they seem to run forever.

Miodrag
08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
My 2000 Xterra SE just crossed 80k miles. Except for the heat shields starting to rust off I've been very lucky; it's treated me well. It's riding a bit rough now so I'm thinking I need a tune up. What should I look to have done? I see some recommendations up top for timing belt and then some others talking replacing the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc. That's always been my definition of a 'tune up' but would like some advice on what I should do to keep it runnin' right. Thanks for the help!

Drake
08-14-2008, 09:31 PM
You've pretty much covered the bases with the plugs and t-belt. Inspect the water pump and your alternator too. Maybe new plug wires as well. For starters though, pick up a can of MAF cleaner and clean your mass air flow sensor. That can make a big difference if you've never done it. It's about $5 a can and it will last you a long time.

k1w1t1m
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
You might also consider giving it a seafoam treatment.

john-k
10-08-2008, 01:05 AM
You might also consider giving it a seafoam treatment.

whats this seafoam treatment everyones talking about? i ask cause i dont do much work on my vehicle as i do with my race bike.

jman2000
10-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I dont what you guys are worrying about. 70,000 miles was a long time ago for my X. I got in february and its got like 129,000 on it. I think I need to get the automatic transmission fluid replaced. I also need new tires (mine are as bald as a new-born baby). and i have a nail in my back left tire. a $30 fix but with new tires coming up....
I also want a better stereo andother dumb teenager mods. example: rims sames size NOT big stupid ones. but same sizecool ones. Hood scoops. New exhaust system. (consumer reports said the only bad thing about the 2000 Xterra is paint,exhaust and a/c. My AC has been broken. I put in more freon i used a freon sniffer and found no leaks. I replaced the receiver dryer and the SOB still wont work. Thats okay I always have the winows rolled won anyway to see the ladies :)

Bad news COSTS
New Tires: $400
Speakers: $200
Exhaust $300

My Stash: approximately $8

I need a job