Overdrive is not activating [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: Overdrive is not activating

sestates
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
When I press my OD button my shift knob, no light comes on indicating it is on. The only time the light comes on is when the vehicle starts and it flashes "O/D OFF" than it turns off in about 2 seconds once the vehicle is started. When I hit the button, nothing is happening. My question is, if the light does not come on indicating "O/D ON", what may be the problem causing it not to work. Is there a relay or anything that controls this. Do you think maybe a wiring issue or something. Thank You

Drake
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
There is no light telling you that it is on. Overdrive is set to on as a "default" I guess you could say. The button is only to turn off the overdrive and that is when you get the O/D Off light. At start up, all of your gauges and warning lights will come on for a couple of seconds and then turn off.

You're good to go. No worries.

sestates
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I guess the problem is that even when I hit the button, nothing happens. I only see the OD OFF light come on at start up and then no matter how many times I hit the button, nothing happens.

I guess the problem is that even when I hit the button, nothing happens. I only see the OD OFF light come on at start up and then no matter how many times I hit the button, nothing happens. Any ideas what may be causing that to happen

jman2000
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
idk. I love overdrive. It makes merging on to the freeway fun!

k1w1t1m
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I would suggest you have a wiring or switch issue. With the light coming on at startup and not flashing while driving tells me that the OD is working normally.
Pushing the button on the shifter should turn the OD off (light will be on).

Ricer-X
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
i would suggest driving at around 50-60mph(maintaining a constant speed) and hit the button and see what happens, that will tell if its doing anything, its not very noticable at lower speeds

i dont think you have anything wrong

cbzdel
04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
is the cruise on the x computer controlled or vacuum controlled or what?