Gear shifter illumination light [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: Gear shifter illumination light

Jean1183
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey, my illumination light is not working on my gear shifter all of a sudden. There aren't any other lights out and I can't see a fuse that is specific to that. Any ideas? Thanks!

RacerXXL
07-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Sounds like the bulb is burnt out.

vandebogart
07-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I didn't know there was a gear shift illumination light.. I guess mine's been out for 3 1/2 years then! Lol

Jean1183
07-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, I didn't really pay much attention to it until all of a sudden this past week I realized that I was having to turn on the map light at night to see if I was putting it into drive! LOL

Racer, can you tell me where the bulb is located and how I get to it?

BTW, I am originally from AL. : )

echo_nine
07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
just pull up on the center black piece around the shifter. then after that there are a couple tabs you have to pull on,on the actual shifter to remove the black shroud around the shifter. then on the back side of the shifter there is a bulb with a blue coating you just pull out and replace.

Jean1183
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Just wanted to come back and say "Thanks!" for the help.

I told my son the info from echo_nine (except the center piece around my shifter is gray) and he was able to locate the bulb quickly. The auto parts store didn't have a blue one in stock. They said they would have to order one from the dealership. I went with just a clear bulb and it works great.

Thanks again!

Oh, Vandebogart....did you replace yours?

miskywhisky
07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
for the next person i did a how to a while back
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26761&highlight=shift+light

its a 194 bulb so its pretty common. The blue cover will likely be melted on so it won't come off right.

vandebogart
07-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Just wanted to come back and say "Thanks!" for the help.

I told my son the info from echo_nine (except the center piece around my shifter is gray) and he was able to locate the bulb quickly. The auto parts store didn't have a blue one in stock. They said they would have to order one from the dealership. I went with just a clear bulb and it works great.

Thanks again!

Oh, Vandebogart....did you replace yours?

LOL no total fail on my part.. for some reason I was thinking you meant a light on the dash that would light up when you were supposed to change gears (manual transmission).. I read your post too quickly.. lol