2005 XTerra Transmission Problems [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: 2005 XTerra Transmission Problems

tpick24
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I have a 2005 XTerra. I have treated it like a baby - and I find out today that I have to replace the Transmission, Radiator, and Valve Body. My vehicle only has 117,000 miles. Nissan said that if it had started having problems before 80,000 miles they would replace it for me. They are saying that my radiator cracked causing fluid to go into my transmission. I was told by the transmission shop that they are using a "better" radiator now. Seems Nissan should be liable for this issue no matter how many miles the vehicle has on it.....especially if they are using a "better" radiator now. They obviously are admitting the original radiator is faulty.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? This is a LOT of money. I recommend to anyone that has an XTerra with less than 80,000 miles, they get rid of it RIGHT now. I only have 4 payments left so I have no choice but to get it fixed but I will never buy another Nissan.

stwd2468
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
One of the guys I work with just went throu the same issue, Cost him about $3000 Canadian to fix the tranny & rad. Right now he is after Nissan for some cash back on the repairs, but I don't think Nissan will do anything for him because his 05' has 105k on it and the repairs were done by a local transmission shop.

The Nissan dealership here admitted that there is an issue with 05's Tranny & Rad.

tpick24
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Yep Nissan Corporate office admitted that they offered an extended warranty but if you've hit 80,000 you're not eligible. I saw online that the average mileage this happens at is 95,000.....that covers their booties!!!

Creepy Cruiser
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Welcome to ClubX.

The notorious "Strawberry milkshake of death".

The big bummer is that you didn't make it here sooner, because guys have been preventing this from happening for some time now, by bypassing the rad cooler. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

I hope it works out for you, these really are great rigs, with 1-2 small flaws.

paknoy
06-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Wow Had similar issue on my 05 Xterra.... just like me treated my X like a baby never missed major maintenance but all of a sudden tranny went out.. it all start after taking my X to the dealer for a normal Oil Change routine, sometimes you doubt the dealer mechanic not doing the right job or instead of fixing it they break it just a get a buck???? same issue they told me my warranty is over because i had put 118k miles on it so they are asking too much to fix it i believe 6k to get it done, they told me the same thing replace Radiator/TRanny they never mentioned Valve Body, like you i can't afford it what i did i research it and ask a lot of friends for help if they knew a shop who specialize import Tranny it took me at least 3 months to find a mechanic who's expert on Transmission, what he did was he add a Transmission cooler route the hose something like that and replace the Valve without rebuilding my tranny then flush the fluid completely cost me only $1600.00... what a relief, it has been almost a year now and she's still running strong highly recommended best mechanic... and this friday we breaking her in for a long drive to Missouri 1700 miles wish me luck.... hehehehhe dont give up get second opinion dont take it to the dealer......... Thank you

Creepy Cruiser
06-18-2011, 03:59 AM
Yep, a few guys have had very good luck with doing a really good flush.

Tommyboy
06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Like Creepy said, "Strawberry milk shake of death" I was lucky to find out about it right after I got my X.
I did the by pass and have done multi-long trips, summer and winter along with last Saturday when we wheeled Wooly's in 95 plus degree heat and I ran my truck ALL day long with the a/c on. Still shifts smooth as silk. :)

Some have got lucky by doing the by pass and totally flushing out the tranny.

How-to: bypass (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955)

Poor man's flush (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30213)

Angela8678
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
My 2005 XTerra has less than 59,000 miles on it and I just got the same diagnosis back from my tranny mech. We are going to try replacing the radiator and doing a thorough flush of the system and hope that does the trick. When I turn overdrive off the tranny is fine, so that solenoid is ok...hopefully I won't have to either fight Nissan or shell out $4000 for a new tranny, which is what I was quoted. Keep you posted.

Bluegrassen
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Bypass Bypass Bypass!!!

LuvMyDux
08-11-2011, 02:21 PM
This is a real bummer, sorry to hear. I feel your pain and would be mad about footing the $3K+ bill for a new tranny and radiator.

This was one of the reasons I passed on buying a 05. Regardless, I do like the 05+ but just didn't want to spend much money and saving up to buy a commuter car. Best of luck, hope they'll cut you a deal to fix it...

Tommyboy
08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
My 2005 XTerra has less than 59,000 miles on it and I just got the same diagnosis back from my tranny mech. We are going to try replacing the radiator and doing a thorough flush of the system and hope that does the trick. When I turn overdrive off the tranny is fine, so that solenoid is ok...hopefully I won't have to either fight Nissan or shell out $4000 for a new tranny, which is what I was quoted. Keep you posted.

You should go to Nissan, some of us got warranty extensions on the radiator. I think mine said up to 80,000.

Good luck.

Angela8678
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok, Bluegrassen, got a question for you: won't changing the rad fix the hose issue? Is it really as easy as reversing hoses? *Think* we really might need a new rad, as there is a leak somewhere and I lose coolant constantly...

SteveX
08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
My '05 has the same issue. My tranny guy quoted me $3,600 initially but now can't find a replacement valve body with electronics. Now he is trying to talk me into shipping it out of state for a rebuild which bumps the price to $4,500! This sounds crazy to me so I'm looking for a valve body. Any suggestions?

ka7jjg43
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I replaced my rad with the updated OEM replacement, thought about using an aftermarket but when ever I asked the question about the the internal tranny fluid cooler no cracking like on the factory OEM before 2010. Never got a straight answer. Took a day for myself and brother to do the job.Maybe in warm climates you can bypass the rad unit but what happens when it's -30 C,might never warm up?????

BrushWorks
10-09-2011, 08:51 AM
So this issue with the Trans and the Radiator... Did this only happen with the 2005 and Later?

I have an '02 and so far at 107k it runs like a champ.

If I should consider doing this bypass: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

Then I might just do it to prevent any disaster from happening. My X is no longer under any warranty. So I can't afford a $3,000 repair.

drbandkgb
10-09-2011, 09:18 AM
So this issue with the Trans and the Radiator... Did this only happen with the 2005 and Later?

I have an '02 and so far at 107k it runs like a champ.

If I should consider doing this bypass: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

Then I might just do it to prevent any disaster from happening. My X is no longer under any warranty. So I can't afford a $3,000 repair.

This is not a Gen 1 issue..

BrushWorks
10-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Great!! Thanks!!

unsafe@speed
11-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't agree with doing the by-pass. There is a transmission cooler for a reason. You may not see any ill effects over the short run but you will overheat that trany and will be no better off than filling it up with coolant.
I'm not sure why no one has suggested installing an aftermarket transmission cooler? Price of a new OEM radiator is about $425, aftermarket cooler $50, repairing overheated transmission $3000. Overheating your transmission is like a slow cooking process it may take longer but it will get cooked.
B&M make a cooler that is a good size to fit just below the cross bar in front of you radiator. size is 5.75" H x 11" W x .75 D model # B&M 70255.
You can get this in a kit with necessary hoses and mounting hardware.
Nice feature of the B&M is that there is an internal orifice that limits the fluid flow till the transmission fluid warms up.

forever famous
11-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Is this still an issue for the 09?

RacerXXL
11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Is this still an issue for the 09?

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

Tommyboy
11-06-2011, 05:15 PM
This issue was resolved by 09.

As for "cooking" your trany, there is a transmission cooler already on the truck, unless you are towing bypassing the radiator will not in danger your trany.

gutbuster
12-13-2011, 01:16 AM
The "semi fix" is to re-route the tranny cooling line to bypass the radiator cooling and go direct from the tranny to the cooler in front of the radiator and back directly to the tranny. you do not really need to go through the radiator except if you are in extremely cold or hot weather. It's a lot cheaper that a new tranny. Also you can simply run "Amsoil" synthetic if you worry about the tranny cooling properly. Its takes about 30 mins to do the job. The hardest part is removing the lower protector just below the grill. One important thing to notice. The screws that hold the shield on should be labeled and installed the way they came out. (the fine threads are for the cross over member and the others are coarse for the remaing sheetmetal with nylon inserts) dont mix them up. If you want the link to see how its done just ask. RJ

AbuseTheElderly
12-13-2011, 06:09 AM
I don't agree with doing the by-pass. There is a transmission cooler for a reason. You may not see any ill effects over the short run but you will overheat that trany and will be no better off than filling it up with coolant.
I'm not sure why no one has suggested installing an aftermarket transmission cooler? Price of a new OEM radiator is about $425, aftermarket cooler $50, repairing overheated transmission $3000. Overheating your transmission is like a slow cooking process it may take longer but it will get cooked.
B&M make a cooler that is a good size to fit just below the cross bar in front of you radiator. size is 5.75" H x 11" W x .75 D model # B&M 70255.
You can get this in a kit with necessary hoses and mounting hardware.
Nice feature of the B&M is that there is an internal orifice that limits the fluid flow till the transmission fluid warms up.

^^This is exactly what was implied with the word BYPASS. Bypass the radiator completely and install a tranny cooler. Tranny still stays cool without going through the radiator.

I did this mod to my 1st gen before I even knew about the issue with 2nd gens. I installed the Manual Transmission radiator (the one without transmission coolant lines) and tranny cooler after my first radiator sprung a leak.

hintona1
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
hello. 2002 xterra, 152,000. auto trany, trany doesnt want to shift in OD when weather is cold. This happens when you first start it up. After the trany warms up it shifts in. Is there any info about this problem? I there a fix?

Shawdiki
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I have 2005 Nissan xterra 4x4, starts good, runs well, once it hits 3rd gear it will not down shift, even after i come to a complete stop, and shift to neutral or park, only after I stop the engine and restart, it will return to 1st gear, btw way it is auto transmission

jtmarukot
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Is this problem with the transmission coolant happens to 2008 models too?