changing belts? [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: changing belts?

delpheye
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I've got an '03 that needs new belts. I've got the belts, and I looked under the hood and I only see two adjusters(one towards the battery and another in the center, on the same bracket). How do I adjust the fan belt(the smallest of the 3 belts), so I can replace it? I've checked my Haynes, and it doesn't say much other than, "Loosen the adjusters, replace belts, tight adjusters and have a beer."

Am I missing something? I can take pics if needed.

dezurtrat
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Did you see the one down under the Alternator?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/dezurtrat/Xterra/Drive_Belt_Adjustment.jpg

soccerbrace
02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
For those not in the know, N-M means Newton Metres, as opposed to inch pounds or foot pounds.

To convert, you have to multiply by .7380.

delpheye
02-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Did you see the one down under the Alternator?

No, I didn't.. hadn't really considered getting underneath. Heh, I'm glad I asked. Thanks!

dezurtrat
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
lol...not exactly out in plain view is it...:)

cowtown
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has had issues with a 'whining' noise directly related to the rpm's. It does it in neutral also which makes me think it isn't the trans. belts are fine, and local dealer couldn't find any problems, but noise is getting louder. Has anyone else had this problem?

Aretelio
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
The power steering pump like to whine a bit.

cowtown
02-25-2008, 02:27 PM
would this directly tie in with the speed of the engine though, as rpms increase, noise gets louder...

pvfjr
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, it would be directly related to engine speed. One way to track down the noise is to remove your belts one at a time and start the truck up for a few seconds and see if it made a difference.

I'm gonna have to do this on my truck, it sounds like my power steering pump is VERY whiny. Although, it was underwater for an extended period of time.

cowtown
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks!

carbindallas
07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
hi all, i have a 2000 V6 xterra 3.3 with 114,000+ miles 1 owner and i'm planning on changing all three of my belts for the first time...."long over due" before i do this...my question is that...do i loosen the 2 idler pulley on top shown in the diagram and loosen the alternator bolt shown on the bottom by the alternator to loosen the belts? thanks for all the help.

k1w1t1m
07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
hi all, i have a 2000 V6 xterra 3.3 with 114,000+ miles 1 owner and i'm planning on changing all three of my belts for the first time...."long over due" before i do this...my question is that...do i loosen the 2 idler pulley on top shown in the diagram and loosen the alternator bolt shown on the bottom by the alternator to loosen the belts? thanks for all the help.

Yes you do. Have a good look at the diagram. The top two adjusters have locknuts in the center of the idlers. Loosen them first before loosening the belt. The same goes for the altenator belt (at the bottom) but it's locknut is different and is clearly shown in the diagram.

The timing belt is due at 105K. Have you done that because if you haven't and it breaks it could be expensive.

Nerfball6
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Yes you do. Have a good look at the diagram. The top two adjusters have locknuts in the center of the idlers. Loosen them first before loosening the belt. The same goes for the altenator belt (at the bottom) but it's locknut is different and is clearly shown in the diagram.

The timing belt is due at 105K. Have you done that because if you haven't and it breaks it could be expensive.

Do you have to also loosen the idler locknuts to tighten the belts?

soccerbrace
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
YOu need to loosen the pulleys with a 14mm socket, and then the tensioners will move.

Nerfball6
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
YOu need to loosen the pulleys with a 14mm socket, and then the tensioners will move.

Thanks for the info!!

raiderfernie
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
so the bolts in the center of the pulley are the ones that put the pressure on the belt and the adjuster are only used to get the belt in that position?

soccerbrace
02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
so the bolts in the center of the pulley are the ones that put the pressure on the belt and the adjuster are only used to get the belt in that position?

Bolt in the center of the pulley locks the whole entire pulley in the position it was placed in with the tension adjustment bolt. Once you loosen that pulley bolt a few turns (you will notice that the pulley is wobbly), then you can mess with the tensioner bolt. When messing with the tension, this is the first, and last that you mess with . Bolt, tension to desired tightness, and then lock down on the bolt again. Keep in mind that the pulley bolt will tighten it a tad bit more because it was at an angle. So get it near the tension that you want, and then mess with the bolt again.