4BT Cummins [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: 4BT Cummins

jmoney1990
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been seeing alot of rangers and other small trucks doing a complete 4BT Cummins swap in the trucks and was wondering if anyone has ever done it to an X?

soccerbrace
11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
None that I have heard of but I would be all about it. You would have to get a new gas tank.

dkswim
11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
would be cool

Dragon X
11-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I have had that in the back of my mind for a while!!!! I am a huge deisel fan!!
A cumming in the X would be an strait up Xterra of the century!!!

birdman19
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
THAT WOULD BE SICK!!! I want one!!!

john13
11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I would like to see it!

CMD
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM

Cummins*

;)

I believe the sas'd X with the LS6 is and always will be the X of the century but it will be a close 2nd.

A Diesel in a X wouldn't be a new thing.. They have been putting diesels in x's for years over see's..

A lost member has a 05 first gen somewhere thats pretty sweet.. One of a few diesel guys that posted up at here at one point.

Itsme
11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I have also been thinking about this, since I got my X. I have owned a Dodge quad cab dually deisel for many years and am amazed how a 3 ton plus weight truck can get almost 20mpg, all cipped out, with huge intake, 4 inch turbo back exhaust and my lead foot driving. I mean this thing makes huge power and I know the 4 BT also can make huge power. I tow a almost 40 foot toyhauler (trailer with a garage)and it is always overloaded with all my Earthly possesions and a motorcyle and a quad ATV and it still manages 15 mpg.
I will think about doing this, if my engine dies. The 4BT is a great engine and is very durable, but heavy as all get out and will need some deep thinking to make it work. They are very tall engines and that alone makes a very difficult job to fit one in an X.
I really would like to see this happen!
Itsme

baf6
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
A lost member has a 05 first gen somewhere thats pretty sweet

http://lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

heus33
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I've read about a few guys putting the 4BT into an early bronco but never an Xterra.

Lots of 4BTs out there - bread delivery trucks seem to be a good source.

rjr162
11-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Yup, just do a search. There's some on ebay and a lot of parts too (new and used)

For example
Cummins 4B 4BT 4BTAA 3.9 New Genuine Long Block Cummins - $3388
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cummins-4B-4BT-4BTAA-3-9-New-Genuine-Long-Block-Cummins-/140476899316?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b5135ff4

Snow Chaser
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I wish so bad they sold the diesel X in the US.

Roschili
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
The first gen diesel Xterras had a sweet hood that allowed air intake thru a scoop. There used to be pictures of a yellow one on here. I'll see if I can find it...

Roschili
11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
There is a black turbo diesel X in post #12

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20746&highlight=diesel&page=2

Here is the yellow one I was originally thinking of...

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10348

And while I'm at it, anybody remember this ls1 swap?

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15293&page=2

Roschili
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM

All Xterras and Frontiers here in Brazil are Diesel's. We don't have gas ones.

The first gen of X began it's production in 2003 w/ a 2004 model and ended in 2007, as well as the previous Frontiers.
Nissan didn't continue w/ the 2nd gen X's here. Only Pathfinders...

Their model years don't line up with ours.

CMD
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Yes Brian, they continued the ist gen body style i think till 06..

I stand correct..
:D

jmoney1990
11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
the benefits would be so sick! and now i really want a diesel X with that 2.8L lol

Roschili
11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
the benefits would be so sick! and now i really want a diesel X with that 2.8L lol

Set up a group buy with an importer and we'll all get one!

baf6
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes Brian, they continued the ist gen body style i think till 06..

I stand correct..

the pear makes me laugh, so he stands as well

jmoney1990
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Roschili I wish I could do that right now haha I'm a full time student so gimme like 4 years to graduate and we will

Roschili
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Roschili I wish I could do that right now haha I'm a full time student so gimme like 4 years to graduate and we will

You and me both. I'm in my first year of college at UT Knoxville. Maybe we can get diesels later lol

dkswim
11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
im thinking you would need to be SAS to do it beacus the interferance of oil pan and front diff.

CMD
11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
the pear makes me laugh, so he stands as well

I havwe that pear on my photobucket too.. I lol hard, everytime i see it.. haha

jmoney1990
11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Theres so much work that goes in to a 4BT swap im looking into it! It will happen ust not immediately haha

DieselXterra
02-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I will. I got the diesel engine but no time because it's my daily driver.
Can't I use the old fuel tank if I drain it?

jmoney1990
02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not to sure why you cannot but you can't. Since you will be the 1st to this I would love if you do a very very in depth right up build thread... I'm sure some of the other more mechanically minded fellows has the reason why.

grantypanties218
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM

hmmmm:bubblegum-big:

grantypanties218
02-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Theres so much work that goes in to a 4BT swap im looking into it! It will happen ust not immediately haha

i thought the 4bt is basically all mechanical, if that is the case it should be an easier swap. if i were you i would beef up the frame while i had everything out.

jmoney1990
02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Yea it truly depends on what year the vehicle you pull the motor from.... If it is post 98 it's 4 cylinder 24 valve which is computerized if its pre 98 it's a 4 cylinder 12 valve. I talked to a guy at ATS Diesel Performance and they explained it to me. and with everything gutted beefing the frame up is a MUST. You could twist your frame. As far as the timeline goes for the swap this wont happen until i graduate college =( priorities priorities priorities....

grantypanties218
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
as far as a swap would go i would look for a pre 98 (if the year is correct)then. the only thing i can see beneficial with the computerized 4bt is perhaps the ability to tune. i am not sure on tuner availability for the 4bt tho.

i had thought of this swap for my frontier, but decide to go with a vh45 eventually. due to it being an daily driven offroad rig, the weight of the diesel 4bt, would not be beneficial for my needs.

If you do go ahead with this swap use the manual tranny from a 12 valve cummins (cant remember the model right now). i believe it will bolt right up to the 4bt. also if i remember correctly there are different 4bt's some have a lower hp rating than others.

jmoney1990
02-06-2011, 09:27 PM
as far as a swap would go i would look for a pre 98 (if the year is correct)then. the only thing i can see beneficial with the computerized 4bt is perhaps the ability to tune. i am not sure on tuner availability for the 4bt tho.

i had thought of this swap for my frontier, but decide to go with a vh45 eventually. due to it being an daily driven offroad rig, the weight of the diesel 4bt, would not be beneficial for my needs.

If you do go ahead with this swap use the manual tranny from a 12 valve cummins (cant remember the model right now). i believe it will bolt right up to the 4bt. also if i remember correctly there are different 4bt's some have a lower hp rating than others.

Yea all that sounds correct. Alot of different companies make Chips for all diesels starting at your domestic all the way up to your Petey's and CAT's you just gotta know the right people. the 12 and 24 valves used the same trannys both motors are identical except for your Valves obviously and the Computers, a Cummins 6bt is a a true 12 or 24 valve found in your dodge pickups, and you can go as low as a 3bt same thing.

grantypanties218
02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
start looking for bread trucks

CMD
02-07-2011, 12:02 AM
hmmmm:bubblegum-big:

I know. I thought the same thing.

sionnach
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Just saw this last night.
sounds like they make the full wiring harness and ECU to be hooked up to the engine.
http://www.pacificp.com/
(saw this on Speed, they were modifying an engine gotten from BullyDog)

midget28
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Idk I really like the idea of a v8 swap either LS engine or a small block ford more. A 4bt would be cool after you switched up the pumps and injectors and god knows what else to get some power out of it b/c box stock they suck.

jmoney1990
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
This thread was more to discover if anyone had done it.... Someone previous said the 4bt is tall, saw one today dunno how that will ever fit in an X

grantypanties218
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Idk I really like the idea of a v8 swap either LS engine or a small block ford more. A 4bt would be cool after you switched up the pumps and injectors and god knows what else to get some power out of it b/c box stock they suck.
i plan on doing a v8 swap only thing is it will be a infiniti (nissan) engine. not a big fan of american muscle in a foreign vehicle.
This thread was more to discover if anyone had done it.... Someone previous said the 4bt is tall, saw one today dunno how that will ever fit in an X

if the 4bt is to tall for the x it just gives you all the more reason to install a body lift :)

DieselXterra
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I have a Cummins 4bt the was never used and still in the crate. Found it in an old warehouse that was getting torn down.

So I picked that up for couple hundred bucks.

The weight on this is more than the 3.3 V6 in my 2002 Xterra

I wish I could just add a leaf but the front has torsion bars. Don't know what to use. Should I put on Calmini?:

Snow Chaser
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Get some stiffer torsion bars and crank 'em up.

TJTJ
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I have a Cummins 4bt the was never used and still in the crate. Found it in an old warehouse that was getting torn down.

The weight on this is more than the 3.3 V6 in my 2002 Xterra

I wish I could just add a leaf but the front has torsion bars. Don't know what to use. Should I put on Calmini?:

You could get the one's from AC as an option as well, 30% stiffer than stock...instead of just 20% like calmini's, and, they are cheaper than calmini's too.

You'd want to upgrade the shocks too, to help control/damp the extra forces too.

T-bars:
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra-torsion-bars-p-101.html

DieselXterra
02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Got 130,000miles

should I change the cap?

grantypanties218
02-15-2011, 11:15 PM

pics or i dont believe it

mac11
02-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Got 130,000miles

should I change the cap?

you magically got a new crate motor to swap into your truck and you ask about changing your radiator kap?

weird...

DieselXterra
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
pics or i dont believe it

I don't have a pic of it in the warehouse but I will have a pic of the truck on my new computer maybe later. Sorry, starting from scratch here. Even though the 4bt is discontinued, it is fairly common. They used to be in bread trucks and stuff. The one I found was probably going into a bread truck or something. It was part of a package deal in clearing the warehouse. Was like an auction type thing and after calculating, it came out to only a couple of hundred bucks.
Found some cool stuff in there, old Honda mopeds(antiques), boxes of industrial graphite, resin, marine engines, single cylinder, boring machines for metal, just really cool stuff. I send you a pic, I still don't know how to post a new thread here. Do you know?

DieselXterra
02-15-2011, 11:36 PM
you magically got a new crate motor to swap into your truck and you ask about changing your radiator kap?

weird...

I have two Xterras.
One is my daily and the other is my project. My English not so bad huh

mac11
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
I have two Xterras.
One is my daily and the other is my project. My English not so bad huh

who is doing your engine swap?

grantypanties218
02-16-2011, 12:03 AM
i want to see the engine .

if you plan on doing the swap it shall be interesting

DieselXterra
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
who is doing your engine swap?

4x4 guy. He builds Jeeps and other 4x4's. I was getting an oil change in a little station when I said to Jimmy(The mechanic), "That is a nice truck", Jimmy then said that it was this dude he knows that does odd jobs on custom work. Jimmy got a Bronco all rigged for hell.

This guy does stuff dealers or other mechanics don't touch. Example, if you wanted to get your undercoat(which like nobody does) he would strip and sand blast, rust proof, paint and coat it with undercoat then spray under the truck before putting everything together again so that everything is clean and neat.
He does everything by himself, he's big n burly and has a greasy super firm handshake and his shop is attached to his house so basically he lives in his shoppe

grantypanties218
02-16-2011, 12:20 AM
cool story bro bring on the pics

DieselXterra
02-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Yea. I work as a heavy machinery operator so sometimes we do demolition. That warehouse was to be demolished and there was some sort of litigation or something where it led to an auction. I paid 4500 for everything and that engine was in that at about 300 if I broke everything into equal.

I was really glad about the graphite at first. I'm talking very large, cylindrical, 8 inch thick, 36 inches long raw graphite. And there were about 1000 of those. That's what I really wanted. The engine was thought to be some Chevy but it was the Cummins 4bt. Maybe someone was building a bread truck piece by piece , eh?

Some dude got a Cris Craft boat in mint condition for 10k.

DieselXterra
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Not radiator but distributor cap

jmoney1990
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I was told whenever you do a gas to diesel swap you gotta beef the frame up you could very easily twist/warp the frame....

profiler
01-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Bump, revive a year old thread however, in that time period has anyone swapped a 4bt in or done more extensive research?

midget28
01-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Ive seen them work offroad its nothing special turbo charging the x would be better.

jmoney1990
01-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Turbo has to much lag for offroad applications but I was getting ready to buy a 4BT and start this than I rolled my X.... Now I'm in the AWD 4 cylinder turbo scene

AaronsX
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
If xterra's came stock with a solid axle up front like jeeps I bet more people would do this rather than sas. If I had the $ I would almost rather make mine a diesel and out a chip in it...thing would be amazing.

I can't even imagine what steeze's first gen would be like with a 4bt and a small stack out the back of that mini bed!!!

If I could blow coal from my X I would!

DieselXterra
01-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Bump, revive a year old thread however, in that time period has anyone swapped a 4bt in or done more extensive research?

Yes, I have a new Yanmar in my jeep. just need to get some mounts and a plate done at machine shop, lined up just right and re-geared the ratio

XSE256
01-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Someone tried this a years or so ago...
I can't remember who.
Something about a junk yard title and a used 4BT.
I know the project fell through because of other stuff he was doing.

drbandkgb
01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Cummins*

;)

I believe the sas'd X with the LS6 is and always will be the X of the century but it will be a close 2nd.

A Diesel in a X wouldn't be a new thing.. They have been putting diesels in x's for years over see's..

A lost member has a 05 first gen somewhere thats pretty sweet.. One of a few diesel guys that posted up at here at one point.

Over sea's :D

hehehehe

Silver Dude
01-22-2012, 04:19 AM
I've looked into it seriously done some reading. I like everything even could even front the cost. Its just... do I want to gut the entire truck everything and I mean everything would have to be touched. The mod to time to install would surpass any SAS install as I'm about 90% certain you would have to SAS just to get it to ride right. Add tinkering with fuel tank, fill nozzle, all of the gauges and electronics. Upgrading the suspension to carry the weight, then it comes down to hoping it fits. Making new drivelines, installing new drivetrain that will withstand the increased torque.

For what? Better fuel mileage? Meh idk with the cost of the swap you could probably drive decades with the stock engine before recouping your funds.

Cool factor? Is it a nissan any more? Is it american iron? Just a old import with smokey breadtruck engine you decide?

More reliable? Stock vehicles are easier to service and reliable as everything was engineered to work together.

Power? Maybe but at what cost? If you have a leadfoot it would be far more appropriate to buy a used sportscar at least then it won't handle like a covered wagon.

Despite all these remarks I want to do it still and I don't know why.

grantypanties218
01-22-2012, 04:27 AM
its for the harmonious sound a cummins produces and the diesel smell

assassin_works
01-22-2012, 05:21 AM
cummins 4b and the 4 bt engines are heavy and you cant find trans adapters for the nissan tranny trust i did alot of calling around about a year ago when i thought about it but they do make a 350 hydro matic adapter plate and you can back that up with a 205 transfer case ... but if you still want to go diesel get you a nissan y60 patrol diesel motor and trans with t case easier to be be done and it is turbo charged.

Silver Dude
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Here is one of my favorite 4BT build ups

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65489

Project STON, the scaled down 1 ton truck

midget28
01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Turbo has to much lag for offroad applications but I was getting ready to buy a 4BT and start this than I rolled my X.... Now I'm in the AWD 4 cylinder turbo scene
Umm pretty sure the 4bt is turboed at least the one is in the jeep Ive wheeled with. 2nd theres nothing wrong with wheeling a turbo it would take some time to get used to but nothing major. The problems of having a 4bt seem to outweigh the cool factor for me. I mean they have no real power in stock form, extremely heavy(for a 4 banger), really tall, and louder than hell. Im all for engine swaps there cool as hell to see someone take a truck and truely make it "theirs" but theres lots better engine options.

rjr162
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
plus lag for any Turbo setup all depends on Turbo sizing (while still paying attention to efficiency maps) and design (ceramic bearings vs non, etc)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

Silver Dude
01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah I wonder why everyone want to swap 4BT? I mean loud and clanky and stinky, not much more power then stock. Could get 30% better fuel economy but the fuel cost 20% more. If you upgrade the 4BT for more power you get about the same economy as a VG33 but the fuel costs more. Its hardly a modern engine its actually like the perfect engine to showcase how loud and unrefined a diesel can be. Clattering down the highway would be just to much. I make my money as a diesel mechanic for a living and I'd wait for a more refined engine. If you really want a midsize suv with diesel. Go liberty CRT or Cherokee. Be cheaper and probably more reliable.

DieselXterra
01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Yanmar makes smaller diesels than an outdated heavy Cummins 4bt.
You will need to get a template made at a machine shop to line up the powertrain, then mounts remade, fuel system, cooling system..etc. Cool factor is there. Price is too.
Look into older boats or crashed newer models in boatyards they have diesels in them 95% of the time. Some yanmar line right up to say a typical tranny like a NV3550, if not you got to measure everything perfectly and find a good machine shop

dennhop
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm starting to research what all I'd need for a 4bt swap into my 2000. Hoping to try and get it started in the next year or so. My plan is to do a SAS, a little bit of lift, and use a ve style 4bt, to avoid height an intercooler, as well as have a strictly mechanical motor, to eliminate as much wiring headahe as i can. Since it looks like the xterras got a drivers side drop (i haven't actually checked yet, just assuming since the wagoneer d44 has a driver side drop, and it seems to be the accepted axle for a SAS), I should be able to find a 47rh, as well as a dodge tcase, and use them.

Reason I plan on doing a 4bt is I prefer a diesel, it seems that the average mileage is around 25 or so, with some reports as high as 35, and I'm very familiar with the cummins engines....the 4bt is similar enough to the 6bt, and I've owned and worked on 6bts from the 12v ve pump through the 24v commonrails.

The biggest thing I need to get more info on is what signals the instrument cluster receives to get the tach and speedo working using a different engine and tranny. Does the speedo signal require a specific signal, ie, square wave, voltage, etc? Same with the tach. I'd like to try and reuse as much of the factory gauges as possible,and then just add in a tranny temp, boost, pyro, and fuel pressure in a pod after the conversion.

bigjim247365
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
from a hot roders stand piont, you can put in any engine into any car and or truck! go for it. be that guy who has a 4BT in his X! but it would be some work, then again it makes it more fun!

DieselXterra
02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
All 50 states have emission inspection.
Any vehicle newer than 1995 has to be connected to the computer.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PASS EMISSION!!!

YOU MUST SWAP INTO A VEHICLE OLDER THAN 1996

You will not be able to register the car on the road.

motox
02-05-2012, 01:28 PM
i live in tx and in my county we do not have emissions inpection, just safety inspection

RacerXXL
02-05-2012, 01:43 PM

No inspection here.

dennhop
02-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Luckily, I don't have emissions, so that doesn't apply to me. I can still register the car here in NC. It's not going to be that hard.

mac11
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM

considering you have FLORIDA as one of your locations you should know there are places that do not do emissions inspections. Like......FLORIDA.

and clearly texas.

rjr162
02-05-2012, 02:36 PM
not to mention many states (maybe its a fed law, I'm unsure) don't allow you to swap in an older motor... it must be the same model year or newer or its "illegal"

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

TerraX
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM

I've lived in FL for almost 8 years now and have never had to bring my X through emissions? It's also registered legit, too.

People drive the worst shitboxes down here. I also ripped the catalytic converter off my old truck and ran it for a year before selling it, never got stopped or has to pass it through emissions.

GG Florida

Itsme
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM

I live in Oregon and I have no inspection, but city areas do.

Someone said the 4bt only has about the same power as a Xterra engine!!! You have no idea what you are talking about!

They have so much more torque even in stock setup!
You would have to mate it with the factory 5 speed and the transfer case.

Bottom line, you should be using cut down diffs from a Dodge or equiv.

I doubt you would even need a low range,as they have so much torque.

I have a 4X4 Dodge 3500 with the 6bt and I have never needed the low range! (and I tow a 40 foot toyhauler with it)

drbandkgb
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Much fail with that inspection comment :)

pow3r
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
and clearly texas.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on how densely populated your area is in texas. We have to get our suburban registered to our lake property because it won't pass emissions in houston, but drive an hour north and all you need is a horn, signals, and fluids and you can drive anything with an engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide App

muadeeb
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
This is why every emission related post I make I preface it with "In Texas" as there are states that don't do yearly inspections. My brother in-law recently moved into the state and is dealing with a CEL for the first time -- it's been on for years because Arkansas doesn't care.

It's probably time we stop feeding this troll.

ShiftingSkys
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/2838991381.html
Heres one with everything

Kuzmovka
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
RoninJiro did a diesel swap with a Japanese X diesel motor he imported

BryceT.York
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
yeah "ronjiro" is the only guy i know of who's done the swap

midget28
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
4bts are huge.... Theres no way you fit one without an sas or a cowl hood with about a 12 inch rize.

roninjiro
10-25-2012, 02:44 PM
4bts are huge.... Theres no way you fit one without an sas or a cowl hood with about a 12 inch rize.

true, our little xterras have a tight little space for the sump, anything is possible but the 4bt swap needs just what midget said or a custom sump depending on how tall it is from block to upper charge tube. If you really look at the clearances you have for engine and tranny, they are tucked incredibly well (little space without modification)

roninjiro
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Almost perfect fits are going to be the Nissan TD series and QD series of turbo diesels. The TD's are easier because most are mechanically controlled, but some of the later model TD's and all QD's are all ecm operated (you must have a complete harness, ecm, and tcu to make them work properly). The two series of engine are almost identical so you may be able to use a mechanical VE injection pump on a QD.

Anyhow there are QD's making it to US soil like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Pathfinder-Terrano-JDM-QD32ETi-Turbo-Diesel-Engine-QD32-Motor-Intercooled-/350628557897?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a3173449&vxp=mtr