4 Wheel Drive [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: 4 Wheel Drive

patsfan054
12-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll give it a try. I have not used my 4wd in a year. The other day it snowed and I put it in. I have an 2003 XE with auto locking hubs. When I engaged the drive it pulls to the right. Is this normal? Also it is seems to slow the truck down pretty fast is this normal. There was a clicking noise from the right hub so the nissan place told me I needed a new auto hub. I replaced it and this solved the clicking problem but not the pulling problem. How fast should I be able to drive in 4H? It appears to be working hard when driving in 4H. This could all be normal but it just does not seem right. Thanks for any help.

Drake
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM
It is not recommended to drive above 55 mph in 4 hi and you shouldn't shift into 4wd at speeds above 35mph. When you do shift from 2wd to 4wd and vice versa, you should always back up at least 10 to 20 yds. to get the hubs fully locked/unlocked. Once the hubs are engaged you can go from 2wd to 4wd and vice versa without backing up but when you are done driving or know you will no longer need 4wd you should always back up to fully disengage the hubs.

As for the pulling... hmmmm... if the hub was replaced and it still pulls then I'm not really sure. That's a new one on me. I will have to let the other guys here help you with that one.

soccerbrace
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Exactly what Drake said, but the speed is 25 not 35. Says on the visor.

Does it pull to the right in 2wd?

If it does, are you sure your hubs are disengaged?

patsfan054
12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
It does not pull in 2Wd only 4wd.

Anthony
12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
When you do shift from 2wd to 4wd you should always back up at least 10 to 20 yds.

1. You do NOT need to back up when putting the truck into 4wheel drive. The hubs lock automatically, hence the "auto locking hubs." You do need to back up after shifting from 4wd to 2wd to UNLOCK the hubs, however.

2. You don't need to back up anywhere near 10-20 yards!! Nissan recommends reversing for 7-10 FEET.

Now also remember -- if you're are backing up when you shift from 2wd to 4wd, then you will need to drive FORWARD to disengage the hubs after shifting from 4wd back into 2wd.

Anthony
12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
As to the pulling issue, are you putting into 4wd on a surface with traction? (for example dry pavment?)

patsfan054
12-17-2007, 11:57 PM
yes this happend on dry pavment. It did snow the other day and it seemed fine in the snow. I still feel like it is working hard in 4H. Seems like its working hard at speeds around 35/40 mph on snow roads. Also seems a little loud when engaged any thoughts?

Ricer-X
12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
you shouldnt be driving on dry pavement(hi traction surface) in 4x4, not even on wet pavement really, snow, mud, sand, loose gravel etc. are all fine, but not hard packed dirt, dry or wet pavement
anthony correct me if im wrong

Anthony
12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
you shouldnt be driving on dry pavement(hi traction surface) in 4x4, not even on wet pavement really, snow, mud, sand, loose gravel etc. are all fine, but not hard packed dirt, dry or wet pavement
anthony correct me if im wrong

Exactly correct. That's why I had asked. 4wd should ONLY be used on surfaces that allow some wheelspin, otherwise the drivetrain will be under a lot of stress and can cause it to bind. I'm guessing this is where the problems are stemming from.

Ricer-X
12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
PROB THE EXACT REASON IT feels like its dragging the truck

patsfan054
12-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks all for the help. All the answers make sense. Thanks again.