distributor does not spin! [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: distributor does not spin!

majesticleemur
10-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Okay i should probably start from the begining. The "x" cut off while driving the other day. I had it towed back to the house and started trouble shooting. The battery is very strong, fuel is making it all the way to the injectors and all the fuse's were good. So i broke out the old Hanynes and started going through the trouble shooting steps for "engine turns but will not start". Every thing checked out until i remove the dizzy cap and tried to put the engine at TDC. I noticed that the rotor did not turn when i rotated the engine "uhhh-ooo". So before taking every thing apart and checking the timming belt i thought i would get some advice about probable causes. Mybe somthing i did not think of that could cause this. Any help at all will be awsome.

xtacular
10-10-2010, 02:48 PM
How many miles are on there? And did you have the timing belt changed yet?

granitex
10-10-2010, 03:05 PM
try to spin the roter by hand, I think that you might have a bad distributor on your hands.

RacerXXL
10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
The distributor not turning may indicate that the timing belt is no longer intact causing loss of drive to the distributor via the cam.

RacerXXL
10-10-2010, 03:16 PM
try to spin the roter by hand, I think that you might have a bad distributor on your hands.

Never thought of it that way, sound advice granitex.

majesticleemur
10-10-2010, 03:35 PM
she has 96,000 miles on her. The timing belt has not been changed.
and as far as the distributor i just finished pulling it out and it spins nicely out of the vehicle. It looks like i am going to have to face up and pull the timming cover to have a look.

Update-16:20
got the fan and pully's off i will give an update later. I would like to give a Big THANK YOU to all who responded to me. This forum is one of the better ones.

soccerbrace
10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Yup, look at the bottom by the crank. That is where the T-belt stripped. You will notice the rubber teeth there. Just fixed this for another dude. At the same time, his fuel pump went out.

json3904
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep on mine the belt didn't snap instead the grooves around where the crank meets the belt we're striped right off of the belt. Good luck and I hope while u were trying to start it or trouble shoot it you didn't kill the valves.

dejablue
10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
guess what you are only the third person i know of that has lost a timing belt under 105000 miles. dont crank it any more.

majesticleemur
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Well it has been verified. got every thing apart after work today and yes it is the belt. It was alot easyer than i thought. I had a few people tell me that the timming belts on nissans were dificult. But it was way easyer than my eclipse probably becuase there is actually room to work. Any way i was going to order the AISIN timming belt kit (water pump,belt,tensioner,spring,gaskets) for $196 froms parts geek.com. Anyone have any parts sources to recomend?
oh and mine stripped at the crank too. Wierd..and i will presure check it tommarow to check the valves, thanks for the input guys.

outwiththeold
10-13-2010, 05:26 AM
I did change mine before this could happen.I read to change the belt at 7 years OR 105,000.Good luck.
http://www.maui.net/~mauitom/Xterra/xterra.html

soccerbrace
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Not that weird. I have seen it a few times now. Same thing. Go with a NISSAN belt. After that, do whatever you want for the parts.

Noxious007
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I think most guys are buying the timing belt and water pump kit from courtesyparts.com

propic12002
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey guys it think i have the same problem. i just bought the belt and tension rod? imlooking for a place to put it in for me. what other problems can come along w/ the tbelt tearing?

rjr162
03-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Bent valves is one thing that can happen..

propic12002
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Damb my car ran fin last night but this morning it wouldnt start! How will i know the valves are bent?

rjr162
03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
You said above your belt broke.. so you had it replaced?

There's a lot of things that could cause it to not start... we need more info (might want to start a new thread)

propic12002
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
My buddy works for nissan and he looked at it checked all the censors and the sparks battery, fuel and he said it was the belt. but he cant work on it till sunday. i want thinking of takingit to a shop i dont knw anything about cars really.