Ticking Sound? [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: Ticking Sound?

nemolilo
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
:bubblegum-big:Hey guys I have recently noticed that my X has a small ticking noise coming from the engine. I went outside earlier today and started the engine and popped the hood. I then took a long screwdriver and put one side to my ear and the other end I put on the engine in various places to try and locate the source of the "tick".

I cant figure out where it is coming from. At first I thought it was a bearing going bad on one of my pulleys but now it seems to be coming from almost the center of the engine. If someone can help with some sugestions as to what to check or look at I would appreciate it.

To describe the noise: It is not very loud and cant be heard if the stereo is on. It sound alot like a diesel engine would but alot quieter. It has lead me to think maybe valve knock or something but I admit that I don't know too much about it.

I am going to upload some video, with audio, that I took with my digital camera. I'm not sure how good the audio will be but if anyone has any input then thinks in advance!

The pic moves around alot b/c I was trying to get audio from different places.

Here is the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMr_L4Bdtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOJxKGzXBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpIWaALWaKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6rnQjag3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSnGyKTsNc

RacerXXL
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Hard to isolate the specific noise. In the videos the noise is more pronounced from underneath the truck, so I'm going to go with cracked exhaust manifold or exhaust leak.

TJTJ
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Have a buddy take a rag, and block the exhaust, while you listen up front...and see if it changes the noise.

If its an exhaust tic, like a manifold leak, etc....it should get louder as you increase the back pressure by blocking the exhaust.

:D

Fzzt
05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm guessing you've already checked:
- oil level and to make sure the right grade is in there
- fan for damage, nicks or warped blade
- drive belts for damage
- A/C clutch is disengaged
- pulleys
Good luck narrowing it down.

blkxone
05-10-2010, 08:23 PM
i have the same in mine and i only have 25000 miles. if you have tromped on it alot, the rockers might have backed off a little bit. the only way to find out is to have it put on a scope. another thing is what weight oil have you been using? i ran 5w20 synthetic for about 20k miles. i just put 5w30 and the knock has now quieted down. i only notice it when it's in gear at a stop.

nemolilo
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya I need to go ahead and change the oil. I have had it for 3 months now and the dealership changed the oil before I took possesion so I have no idea what weight they used, I have only put about 2k miles or less on it though since I got it. What weight does everybody recomend?

To TJTJ and RacerXXL, I did notice that the sound was more prounonced under the truck but when I put a screwdriver against the exhaust and to my ear, it did not seem as if it was the location. Though I am new to listening for a sound like that. I'm trying to find the stethescope I had around the house and listen again tomorrow.

I am sure it is not the fan b/c the sound is definitly behind there, in or under the engine. I will get a buddy to put a rag over the tailpipe tomorrow when I get ready to wash it.

I drive the X pretty easy I try and keep it under 2k rpm's normally and the couple of times that I have hit it a little harder I still kept it under 2500 rpm's. The X is in great shape inside and out but I hate hearing this sound b/c it makes me feel like something is wrong.
Thanks for all the suggestions and I will report back tomorrow after some more searching.

TJTJ
05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Ya I need to go ahead and change the oil. I have had it for 3 months now and the dealership changed the oil before I took possesion so I have no idea what weight they used, I have only put about 2k miles or less on it though since I got it. What weight does everybody recomend?

To TJTJ and RacerXXL, I did notice that the sound was more prounonced under the truck but when I put a screwdriver against the exhaust and to my ear, it did not seem as if it was the location. Though I am new to listening for a sound like that. I'm trying to find the stethescope I had around the house and listen again tomorrow.

I am sure it is not the fan b/c the sound is definitly behind there, in or under the engine. I will get a buddy to put a rag over the tailpipe tomorrow when I get ready to wash it.

I drive the X pretty easy I try and keep it under 2k rpm's normally and the couple of times that I have hit it a little harder I still kept it under 2500 rpm's. The X is in great shape inside and out but I hate hearing this sound b/c it makes me feel like something is wrong.
Thanks for all the suggestions and I will report back tomorrow after some more searching.

Wrong technique for an exhaust manifold leak.

Please, Use a friend, and a rag.....and get definitive results.

nemolilo
05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
OK thanks for enlightening me, that is why I ask you guys for help. Thanks so much TJTJ, I did not know that that wouldn't work. I will have a buddy help me tomorrow.

TJTJ
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
OK thanks for enlightening me, that is why I ask you guys for help. Thanks so much TJTJ, I did not know that that wouldn't work. I will have a buddy help me tomorrow.

No problemo.

Its because its not on the exhaust pipe vibe end of things...its the manifold typically...and its the BACK PRESSURE you need to increase to check that, not a vibration...as its the little pulses of escaping gas that you want to hear increase...IF that's what the ticking is.

If the ticking DOESN'T get louder, you ELIMINATED the manifold leak as a tic source.

helifixerupper
05-11-2010, 11:08 PM
My 2002 makes that same noise but only for a few seconds on start up. And seeing as I am having oil problems at the moment that may be something to think about. I can't imagine the tappits being out of whack already. Perhaps a valve as the worse case. try exhaust first though. The only thing leading me away from that is exhaust leaks tend to have a hiss noise rather than a ticking sound

assassin_works
05-11-2010, 11:41 PM
check for loose flex plate bolts. Also check and see if your spark plug wires arent arcing to metal. You can do this by unplugging one at a time and see if the noise goes away. Just do it with great caution high voltage can hurt you.

blkxone
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
heck yeah direct ignition coils hurt. it's like gettin' hit by 240V, it'll definitely leave a mark.

assassin_works
05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
haha yup it all most as bad as a racing magneto ooooo

nemolilo
05-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Wouldn't taking the plug wires off one at the time (and putting them back on of course) cause the engine to idle very badly and make it hard to hear the noise?

lesterra2001
06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
So have you figured out where the ticking noise is coming from? just got my xterra last week and it sounded like this, it's worse during startup, going uphill aswell. I took out all the rusted heatshield but to no avail, it's so annoying plus it makes you feel bad driving it like that. Tried seafoam but that did'nt help, even changed engine oil to mobile 1 synthetic and OEM nissan oil filter. What was i thinking... damnit... i should've bought a second gen even if that means i have to pay more... awright im gonna go kill myself now..:pfeilimkopf-big:

nemolilo
06-11-2010, 07:47 AM
No buddy I sure have not! I finally gave up on it. I just turn up the radio, just kidding.
I cant seem to locate it for sure. I hear it louder under the X but it also sounds like it is maybe just the fuel injectors opening and closing VERY loudly ( that is what the guy at Savannah Tire a full service shop said, he says he didn't notice anything while driving and I wasn't there for that so I did not press it). I really have no idea and it definitly is louder upon startup I think. I really dont hear it most of the time when im driving but I think that is due to all the other cars around me that the noise level is atrocious.

When it was parked with the hood up the mecanic said the ticking was just the fuel injectors but I cant imagine that is what i'm hearing when driving.

If you find out anything let me know!

dejablue
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
take the drive belts off one at a time and check for tic after each one to eliminate bad belt or pulley or bad alternator.

dmcc
06-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I wonder if your oil pump is putting out the correct pressure at idle, maybe not enough and at the top of the engine, the valve tappets don't get enough oil, but when driving the rpms are higher and then the pump is putting out enough pressure to get oil up to the top of the engine, just a guess though

lesterra2001
06-13-2010, 01:39 AM
hi again, are these the catalytic converters (circled in red)? been checking the heatshields on them and they seem to be the culprits making that annoying ticking noise, they're pretty much intact but when i tap on them they do vibrate. Is it safe to to get rid of them? Thanks!

nemolilo
06-13-2010, 02:40 AM
I need to go back out and try to find where the noise is comming from on mine too. I quit worrying about it but if you remove the heatshields and find that they were the culprit the please post so I can get a better idea of what to check on mine.

TJTJ told me to get a buddy to put a rag over the exhaust and listen for an increase in noise due to the back pressure increase and if the tick got louder it would be from in the exhaust and that would definitivly locate the problem. That may help you to double check before removing the heat shieles.

Let me know what you find.

lesterra2001
06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Ok, i tried pretty much everything said but couldn't find the ticking source, so i might aswell give up. Ticking noise comes and goes, i guess xterras are built that way... Hellyeah! diesel power poser! lol Well, goodluck man, hope you'll figure out where this noise is coming from. :wink-big:

vg33t
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I would like to get to the bottum of this. I have a oil pressure gauge and when I first start the engine it takes several seconds for oil pressure to start building. As oil pressure builds the noise starts to go away. After driving a little the noise will go away until the engine warms up, then it comes back agin. Although it seems to have good oil pressure.

auskip07
07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok, i tried pretty much everything said but couldn't find the ticking source, so i might aswell give up. Ticking noise comes and goes, i guess xterras are built that way... Hellyeah! diesel power poser! lol Well, goodluck man, hope you'll figure out where this noise is coming from. :wink-big:

my exhaust manifold crack was louder on start up but after the engine warmed it was almost not noticeable. And it was a consistent ticking sound like that of a bad lifter

dejablue
07-15-2010, 07:32 AM
take the heat shields off you dont need them

vg33t
07-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Its not an exhaust leak its the hydraulic lifters. I have a new oil pump to install just have not had time. I have already replaced the hydraulic lifters. I have tried different oils/oil filters. it seems to me that it's not getting enough oil pressure to the cylinder head.
Here is a video of the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjiEoQAhI0w

Morb
07-17-2010, 06:59 AM
I would like to get to the bottum of this. I have a oil pressure gauge and when I first start the engine it takes several seconds for oil pressure to start building. As oil pressure builds the noise starts to go away. After driving a little the noise will go away until the engine warms up, then it comes back agin. Although it seems to have good oil pressure.

Sounds like lifter noise. When the oil pressure builds it starts moving the lifters properly and the noise drops off. As the oil heats up and becomes more viscous it comes back.

vg33t
07-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Replaced the oil pump and ticking is gone. Oil pressure is higher now than its ever been.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3aSmSmqqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTjTIFwyqg
This is after the engine has warmed up.

Morb
07-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Well there you go then :)

BourbonBruiser
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I have had the same problem for over a year. It's wild because it will be loud as all get out for a few days and then it will disappear for a week, then come back for a minute and be gone for an hour and start up again. Used to only happen on longer trips (over 20 miles) vs. just to work and back (10 miles) and would last the duration of the trip.
Sometimes it happens at start up when it's -0degrees F temps and some times it won't. (same at all temps really...)
I've taken it in twice now and the noise won't be audible so I just take the truck home and a day later it's back. Annoying! I went on a trip this weekend and it came back, dropped it off and the noise was still happening. I just received a call from my mechanic and he says it's the Hydraulic Lifters (just like you guys said above). so... now what to do? What type of costs should I expect? should I replace the oil pump or the lifters? I don't have an oil pressure gauge.

any thoughts on the fix, the cost I should expect from a mechanic, or the time it would take a no talent mechanic like myself to do the job.

Also. is this causing damage to the engine in any way where I should be in a hurry to get this remedied?

Itsme
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
There is always the smoke test to see in the exhaust manifolds are cracked and leaking.
Seafoam put into the intake will make smoke and if the exhaust manifolds are cracked, the smoke should leak out and you would see it!

rjr162
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Ours has the same sound, you can hear it on the pass side about 2 cyls back (or so it seems).. but when you listen with a screw driver it's hard to tell because the bearing in the distributor is screaming as well. My best guess was the hydraulic lifter(s) may be out of whack on that side, or an exhaust leak though I haven't gotten around to investigating either further.

A side note, you'd be better off using an extension for a ratchet than nearly any of the screw drivers you find anymore. If you happen to have one of those OLD screw drivers with the wooden handle and the metal part actually goes all the way through the handle and is "exposed" at the top, THEN you have a listening device. The plastic and rubber handles where the metal actually stops inside make it a lot harder to really hear the sound.

(The Stanley FatMax Extreme with the striking caps *looks* like they have metal from the slot end all the way to the striking cap. If so, that'd be a great option for a listening screwdriver)

Ski3918
01-11-2011, 12:08 AM
It's most likely a sticky hydraulic lifter. Before you change the oil, put a high detergent additive to the oil and run it for a while to see if that helps. Then change your oil.

By the way, other than bothering you, it's not hurting anything.

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
So it's not hurting anything??! Man, I can't believe that; it sure sounds violent at times.
I didn't have the work done yet and picked it up from my Mechanic this morning and am running some seafoam though it now (I do this every 3,000 or at each oil change the way it is). I'll be switching the oil from my standard Valvoline high milage synthetic 10w/30 to 5w/30 per several recommendations here (location = Wisconsin).

If I continue to run the truck and the noise continues it sounds like it's not causing any 'harm' to the vehicle... but how long can it run like this? will the lifters just seeze up at some point or create any damage?

is it really recommended to pay for an "oil flush' or is that overkill?

I'm waiting on a bid to have them replaced now.

Thanks.

Ski3918
01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
So it's not hurting anything??! Man, I can't believe that; it sure sounds violent at times.
I didn't have the work done yet and picked it up from my Mechanic this morning and am running some seafoam though it now (I do this every 3,000 or at each oil change the way it is). I'll be switching the oil from my standard Valvoline high milage synthetic 10w/30 to 5w/30 per several recommendations here (location = Wisconsin).

If I continue to run the truck and the noise continues it sounds like it's not causing any 'harm' to the vehicle... but how long can it run like this? will the lifters just seeze up at some point or create any damage?

is it really recommended to pay for an "oil flush' or is that overkill?

I'm waiting on a bid to have them replaced now.

Thanks.

ASSUMING it's a sticky lifter, what you are hearing is the idle arm clicking as it depresses or releases the top of the valve stem. It really won't hurt anything, it's just annoying. Keep in mind we are talking about a clicking noise, not a hammering noise, etc. Hydraulic lifters by design are supposed to adjust for the variables that occur with clearances between the moving parts associated with the valves opening and closing. If it gets clogged or a part wears beyond specs (not likely here), it will tick.

helifixerupper
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Switching to 5w for the winter is a good idea especially where you live. Run the cleaner in the oil and then when you drain the oil, after you think it is all out, dump about half a quart in there to finish the flush (it will go in gold and come out black). So that will lean things out pretty good and the lighter oil will function much better in temps well below 0. 10w starts to get sluggish around 20 degrees or so...

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Switching to 5w for the winter is a good idea especially where you live. Run the cleaner in the oil and then when you drain the oil, after you think it is all out, dump about half a quart in there to finish the flush (it will go in gold and come out black). So that will lean things out pretty good and the lighter oil will function much better in temps well below 0. 10w starts to get sluggish around 20 degrees or so...
So you can pour the seafoam (or lucas or whatever) right into the motor oil compartment? How much should I use before doing the change and for how long should I run it?
I like this. Makes a hell of a lot more sense doing that than just pouring it into the gas tank.
So then after I drain it all, I just pour another half a quart through and turn the motor on for a few seconds and drain it again? This is Greek to me. I've never done an oil change like this and feel like I've been missing out on something huge.

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
So you can pour the seafoam (or lucas or whatever) right into the motor oil compartment? How much should I use before doing the change and for how long should I run it?
I like this. Makes a hell of a lot more sense doing that than just pouring it into the gas tank.
So then after I drain it all, I just pour another half a quart through and turn the motor on for a few seconds and drain it again? This is Greek to me. I've never done an oil change like this and feel like I've been missing out on something huge.
either that or I'm on the verge of running my engine empty and about to do something terrible....

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Its not an exhaust leak its the hydraulic lifters. I have a new oil pump to install just have not had time. I have already replaced the hydraulic lifters. I have tried different oils/oil filters. it seems to me that it's not getting enough oil pressure to the cylinder head.
Here is a video of the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjiEoQAhI0w
Vgg3T: Did you do the lifters yourself?
How long did that take and what was the cost?
If you had it done elsewhere, what did they charge you for it?

helifixerupper
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
NO DONT RUN IT! haha just a little fresh oil down the oil filler cap to help pick up any residual gunk and just keep the drain plug open. You can pour it in and hop down to look at it come out and it should be black and ten start to clear up a bit. After its done draining replace drain plug add oil and new filter and you are good. Make sure you fill he oil filter about half way before you put it on to make sure you build pressure as fast as possible on the first start.

-The sea foam is easy 1/3 in gas 1/3 in vacuum line and 1/3 in oil.
-The gas tank can be done whenever.
-The vacuum line you add 1/3 slowly while cranking the motor, let it sit for about 10 minutes the you start the car (a little bit of a struggle at first is normal) then you watch the exhaust smoke as the carbon gets burned off. Also the smoke makes it easier to check for exhaust leaks under the hood and x.
-The oil should be done only right before an oil change. Add 1/3 into crankcase, start engine for about 5 minutes and drain and follow the directions above.

hope this helps

classicxterra
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
hey, they X im considering buying also has this problem. lifter problem was diagnosed right off the bat... im waiting to hear cost

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
That's great. All this time I've never added anything to the oil, only the gas. I wondered what good that would do to the other areas indicated on the back of the label. Hopefully this gets the job done and stops the noise, if not it's at least something I'm glad I'm aware of and will certainly help prolong the life of the engine.
I'll get back with results soon. And if I hear a cost on the repair/parts I'll post that as well.

Thanks for helping to straighten this all out for me!

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 12:46 PM
One last thing to clear up:

Is it recommended to do the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 application (1) one full gas tank BEFORE you do the oil change, or right after you do the change?

especially if you're really trying to clean out those pesky stuck lifters...

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry about those last couple of posts. I obviously didn't read your full post. It is partially because I'm being pulled in 20 different directions here at work today and because I've been getting mixed advice from another friend where he says he puts 1/3 in gas and 1/3 in oil 1 full tank before the change and you said to do it RIGHT before the change. And in the past I always just put the stuff in the gas AFTER the change. Not sure how/why I ever did it that way.
Anybody want to buy a well maintained xterra gen1? haha. thanks again.

CWier866
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I've never heard a valvetrain that didn't make noise. VVT is noisy.

helifixerupper
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
you can add seafoam to the gas whenever you want, you can do it every tank if you really want. It will mainly help with the gas lines, tank, fuel rails and injectors. Just know if it hasn't been done the fuel filter may get clogged with the junk that it kicks up from the tank and pump. So having one on hand may be helpful.

I know the valve train is noisy but it still wouldn't hurt to make sure the channel get cleaned out a little. I would have to see the lifters get pumped up and cause a negative valve clearance which can do some real damage.

Like bourbon said, even if it doesn't get quieter the engine will be in better shape.

rjr162
01-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I didn't see if you got your answer about the oil, but you want to add about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can into the crankcase. They (Seafoam) recommend you then drive it for about 30 miles, and then change the oil.

BourbonBruiser
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Yup. Not talking about just some noise here. It's a loud and unacceptable 'Ticking Sound' (see post Headline) that must be stopped!
sorry. The fact that it comes and goes as it pleases just drives me absolutely MAD!
heli, what did you mean by this: "I would have to see the lifters get pumped up and cause a negative valve clearance which can do some real damage. "

guessing 'have' was supposed to read 'hate'...
What would the cause this? Probably just not dealing with it right? yeah... I need to get this fixed. I changed the oil per my interpretation of the various suggestions listed above.

rjr162: I thought that was what helifixeruppier was referring to. And while I was at work I actually had my roommate take care of this for me (trying to get this thing fixed before I head north this weekend). He felt that what the back of seafoam wanted was to drain the oil, then plug it and add 1/3 bottle of seafoam and 1/3 qt. of oil to the engine, and then add 1/3 into the vacuum intake and run it for 5 minutes.....

so I hope there was no unnecessary damage done and that not to much 'gunk' was knocked loose where there will be any problems.

I ran it for about 15 miles and the ticking was a little quieter. I have to take a bit of a drive tomorrow and I'll let you know if anything terrible happens or if the ticking stops all together.

RacerXXL
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I actually had my roommate take care of this for me (trying to get this thing fixed before I head north this weekend). He felt that what the back of seafoam wanted was to drain the oil, then plug it and add 1/3 bottle of seafoam and 1/3 qt. of oil to the engine, and then add 1/3 into the vacuum intake and run it for 5 minutes.....

Am I understanding that

1) All the oil was drained from the engine

2) The drain plug was re-installed after the oil was drained

3) 1/3 a can of Seafoam was added to the crankcase

4) 1/3 a quart of oil was added to the crankcase

5) While the engine was running a 1/3 a can of Seafoam was added into the vacuum line

Is this what he did? Please say no....

helifixerupper
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes I did mean hate and it is caused by a blocked oil line to th lifter, it will sound more like rattleing than clicking I believe.

I think I am going to have to do a full write up on how to seafoam and maybe make a video out of it. I sure hope you didn't run the car without oil.

As for the fuel filter, it may not be a problem just something that could happen.

BourbonBruiser
01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Am I understanding that

1) All the oil was drained from the engine
2) The drain plug was re-installed after the oil was drained
3) 1/3 a can of Seafoam was added to the crankcase
4) 1/3 a quart of oil was added to the crankcase
5) While the engine was running a 1/3 a can of Seafoam was added into the vacuum line

Is this what he did? Please say no....

Correct, he did it exactly how you explained above.
I emailed him the (1/3)x(3) instructions from helifixerupper from a few posts back on this thread and he must have misinterpreted them.... I questioned his rational and he basically said that was how he interpreted the instructions on the seafoam label as well.
The truck is still ticking and has yet to seize up... however I think I'm going to get my other buddy to take his Jeep up north this weekend and leave the X at home.

Itsme
01-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Lets just hope he did not run it without any oil in it!
This whole thread is really freaking me out!

BourbonBruiser
01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Still ticking like crazy.
And when at rest (in Park or in Drive with foot on brake) the truck likes to randomly 'jitter' and 'shake'. Sometimes only when in drive with foot on brake, other times when in park at initial start up.
Regardless, the Ticking remains.

Oh, and when the 1/3 bottle of conditioner was poured in the intake, I figured out I also have a small leak near the manifold. So that's nice.

Leaving for the northwoods tonight and I'm either taking my truck with a case of the Jitters and a very loud improperly working set of Hydraulic Lifters, or my buddy's Jeep who recently had some body work done and has a squeaking serpentine.... with no time/desire to replace it..... I hope we at least make it there. I'd be fine with being stranded out of town vs. stranded at home.

Thanks for all the info over the last few days. If I do take my truck and I do make it home (as I've been told that I should be fine to drive) and the tick is still audible, I'll probably be getting a new set of lifters. Don't have the time to do it myself or refurbish the ones that are in there (found a couple nice videos on ol' youtube on how to do it... however one of my mechanics (the more expensive of the two) has suggested a price that's close to a grand and I just can't stomach that....

theryatch
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
-The sea foam is easy 1/3 in gas 1/3 in vacuum line and 1/3 in oil.
-The gas tank can be done whenever.
-The vacuum line you add 1/3 slowly while cranking the motor, let it sit for about 10 minutes the you start the car (a little bit of a struggle at first is normal) then you watch the exhaust smoke as the carbon gets burned off. Also the smoke makes it easier to check for exhaust leaks under the hood and x.
-The oil should be done only right before an oil change. Add 1/3 into crankcase, start engine for about 5 minutes and drain and follow the directions above.

hope this helps

I may be asking a really dumb question, but what vacuum line are you speaking of? Sorry if this is an easy question, just want to make sure I'm not seafoaming an ABS line or something :)

helifixerupper
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
look at this
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26300&highlight=seafoam+how+to

I prefer the one on the left