Head unit's that Fit [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: Head unit's that Fit

BlackXGuy
05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Before I go on, I did search the Forum list for an answer, so I apologize if I didn't click the right link.

I have a Alpine D901 from a previous car. I went to Crutchfield.com and it was saying that it will not fit my car. And for that matter, NO in-dash DVD player will fit the Xterra. I found that odd. Are they just saying this because the X has a double-din stock. or is it a size wise? I understand I'll have to get a car kit and all the hardware that will make it fit. And I didn't want to spend the time taking everything apart just to find out that my Alpine is half a inch too wide.

To the best of my knowledge, almost every after market head unit will fit in any car. Will this head unit fit? Are their any major problems that I will run into? Finally, what's the deal with websites saying that there is no possible after market head unit that will fit in the Xterra?

AlanEvans
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I haven't had that issue before. I have an AVIC F90BT in my X and it fit fine. I just did a quick search on crutchfield for my 06 X and it showed me a ton of headunits that would fit...

Maybe you are entering in some of the information incorrecty? Are you searching crutchfield the "outfit my car" way?

drbandkgb
05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Some times on those sites..you have to use a 2005-2011 Frontier.. The Xterra some doesnt does that...Wont fit thing

BlackXGuy
05-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes I did the Outfit my car thingy. I knew that I was most likely going to get my head unit in there, I was just trying to see if there was some extra step or fabrication that I would have to do to get it in there.

And I was wondering on most things if we just type in the information of a 2nd gen Xterra (like saying your car is a 08 and not a '10) to find parts for the car and even using the frontier (might as well be the X but a tad bigger) to also find parts. Looks like we can.

Loki512
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
so, from what i can tell, Crutchfield is pretty lazy about test fitting the X. it says nothing fits because they haven't tested it. any double DIN should fit with the Metra Dash kit.

most of the 2nd gen parts are interchangable between years 05-10 and with frontiers from the same years, but there are exceptions. the 09+ grill is different, the dash is different, the stalk that goes on the steering column to control the lights is different. there are probably some others, most of which you would never think about, but it isn't wise to assume everything is the same. if you need a part and want to get it off an older year, the best thing to do is call your local dealership parts department and have them see if the part number changed between your year and the model year you are taking the part from, if the number changed, it might not fit.

TimRich
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
You could always go to a local Best Buy or something and ask them what will fit. Might be worth the second opinion...

miskywhisky
05-03-2010, 05:12 PM
may have something to do with the depth, that alpine is 6 11/16" deep. The xterra could have something behind it making the deck too deep. I know my old chevy s-10 had the heater pipes right behind the radio so it only had 5" of depth which almost no deck would fit without a spacer.

J Everett
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
It's not a depth issue. It's because Crutchfield hasn't test fitted an Xterra yet. Use the Metra dash kit for a same year Frontier and any standard single DIN or double DIN stereo will fit. You may have to use right angle RCA plugs in the back to connect to an amp, as it is a little tight for wiring, but any stereo should fit.

BlackXGuy
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
You know if I thought about it hard enough I most likely would of answered the question in and of itself. I thank all of you for the help and I'm sure my head unit will fit. If it doesent, I'm due for a upgrade :). Anyways, If you're keeping track with my video's I'll run one of a Head unit when I get my Speakers in. Most of them are not to show you HOW to do it, most of us can install a Head Unit or LED's...but more of a how to do it in the Xterra.

Thanks for all the responses. And every response makes 100% sense.

miskywhisky
05-04-2010, 12:20 AM
It's not a depth issue.

Its not?
You may have to use right angle RCA plugs in the back to connect to an amp, as it is a little tight for wiring,

Din is a height and width, not depth. like my alpine with no cd is maybe 5" deep.

BlackX
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
It's not a depth issue. It's because Crutchfield hasn't test fitted an Xterra yet. Use the Metra dash kit for a same year Frontier and any standard single DIN or double DIN stereo will fit. You may have to use right angle RCA plugs in the back to connect to an amp, as it is a little tight for wiring, but any stereo should fit.

yeah you're right cause i'm returning an alpine unit because it's to deep for my 08. also the bezel for the face is too wide with the dash put back together.

rjr162
03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Kits for 2010 with Rockford system or base system:
(These two are the same but one's black and one's a gray finish)
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7428B
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7428G

This kit also lists in just the base system:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7581

Though sometimes you do have to trim/modify the kits to get certain head units to fit.. mostly double dins that have a flip down screen. Some shaving on the openings of the kits are required for the face to open properly (and sometimes it's just a matter of the slight tolerance up/down you can adjust the radio)

Depth and the amount of wires back there can also make it a pain for sure :)