sputtering and loss of power [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: sputtering and loss of power

hardwired
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
hey all. i just bought my wife a 2002 X supercharged. we having an issue while driving there is a loss of power and sputter/hessitation that starts at 3500 rpm and it goes till 5000. before and after that rpm range it runs fine, even great but it wont even go above 75-80mph due to the loss of power. any help and/or advice would be great. thanks all

Xterra Mike
11-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Any Codes??? Try cleaning your MAF sensor and throttle body.

J Everett
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
It might also be the knock sensor. The supercharged engines run like crap and can damage themselves if they are running beyond the knock threshold. The sensors go bad easily, but should throw a diagnostic code and a check engine light. That, and what Mike said about cleaning the MAF and throttle body should be the first things to check. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

hardwired
11-07-2009, 01:10 PM
No C.E.L. thrown, just runs crappy in that certain rpm range thought it might be the plugs or something with the ignition though

hardwired
11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
btw xterramike, where was that signature pic taken? looks like you were having fun there

J Everett
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
If no codes/CEL, then try cleaning the MAF. It seems to be a common problem. Pick up some aerosol MAF cleaner, and then you can remove the sensor from the intake tube and spray it down. Just be careful not to touch the MAF sensor element.

hardwired
11-07-2009, 01:30 PM
thanks for the idea, i will post back when i clean it and test.

hardwired
11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
still no codes, replaced plugs and cleaned the MAF changed oil(just cuz it was needed) and it helped alot, but its still sputtering around 4000rpm and hesitating, not nearly as noticable as before. almost feels like a miss fire. any other ideas as to what this might be? i am at a loss at this point. anything would be greatly appreciated.

Shepherd
11-13-2009, 05:40 AM
How's your air filter? Sound like it might be having a hard time breathing at higher revs.

How's your fuel filter? It might not be able to supply fuel fast enough for the engine at high revs.

Also, just to be sure, make sure your primary ground is clean and well connected at the engine, fender, and battery. I had a bad misfire cause by a rusty bolt at the fender connection.

mac11
11-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I get the same thing when I trip the knock sensor. The knock sensor going off will cause the PCM to close the solonoid to bypass the supercharger. You instantly lose boost and power. It's a dog and hard to get going w/o the blower.

did you have it scanned for codes? The knock sensor will throw a code, but NOT turn on the SES light.

hardwired
11-13-2009, 01:56 PM
ill have to see if it pulls codes, no ses light on at the time. its not that bad, off the line it can get moving and 1st and 2nd arent really bad at all its the higher gears where it takes longer to get through the rpm range that you notice it in. the air filter is a brand new K&N drop in filter, have not checked for blockages in the intake tho. have not checked the fuel filter or knock sensor yet will do that soon. thanks for the ideas everyone, its been a big help. i dont know nissan all that well but in sure it'll come to me eventually.

Xterra Mike
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
btw xterramike, where was that signature pic taken? looks like you were having fun there

Dirty jersey in a 4' puddle. Good times.

Xterra Mike
11-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I actually started having the same issue with mine this week. i got a ses light but haven't checked it yet. i'll let you know what i find and if i correct the problem.

hardwired
11-13-2009, 04:09 PM
sorry your having the issue but ill be looking forward to what it may be. hopefully its nothing too bad. and it does look like good times in dirty jersey, too bad im still searching for all the good spots in md dc and va

hardwired
11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
the other thing we have been having issues with is the center drag link for the steering. i havent been able to find the correct one and at this point am looking into using some tie rod ends to correct the issue. i think the original owner had put on aftermarket steering components and the center drag link was not only adjustable but it also didnt have the mounts for the tie rods. the only one i can find that resembles the on one the x now is the d21 2wd center drag link for 87-94. any ideas for that one or should i just keep moving on the track that i am now? anything would be greatly appreciated.

Xterra Mike
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
sorry your having the issue but ill be looking forward to what it may be. hopefully its nothing too bad. and it does look like good times in dirty jersey, too bad im still searching for all the good spots in md dc and va

Talk to BlueX (Jason)about some trails down there. He'll be up at RC for the run.

the other thing we have been having issues with is the center drag link for the steering. i havent been able to find the correct one and at this point am looking into using some tie rod ends to correct the issue. i think the original owner had put on aftermarket steering components and the center drag link was not only adjustable but it also didnt have the mounts for the tie rods. the only one i can find that resembles the on one the x now is the d21 2wd center drag link for 87-94. any ideas for that one or should i just keep moving on the track that i am now? anything would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a junk yard or a you pull it yard? you might get lucky and be able to replace it with a stock one. Or you can go totally aftermarket and get all the steering componets.https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=435_430

hardwired
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
okay, well i found out about the steering and the loss of power. the steering happens to be the calamini H.D. steering system along with the rest of the suspension. i didnt realize before that she has the full 3" lift from calamini, which means she has a 3" suspension lift and a body lift as well. I figured out the suspension when i looked at someone elses build thread and saw the same suspension pieces so decided to look up the company. With the loss of power, it IS the knock sensor...P0328 knock sensor high voltage bank 1 sensor 1. deleted the code to see if it would do anything and it already runs so much better. i know the code will come back but atleast i know what the issue is. thanks again everyone for the good ideas and advice.

Xterra Mike
11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
good you found the problem. mine was worse. i had a misfire code. my #6 plug was gunked up with oil. no spark no power. Pulled the plug, cleaned it out and its good to go now.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/mene62374/Xterra/091117_192602.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk158/mene62374/Xterra/091117_192616.jpg

Shepherd
11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Okay, first things first, if you have a faulty knock sensor, you need to correct that, because it puts the supercharger into bypass, dropping the boost to about 1-2psi. So, yes the truck will feel mech better when it doesn't have the knock sensor code in the system.

BUT!

When the truck is in bypass, it still purrs like a kitten, you just get a bit of a rattling noise from the supercharger. It should still run normally when bypassing, you just don't have the boost anymore. (I drove thousands of miles with a faulty knock sensor, and never had a problem, other than no boost.)

Sputtering and hesitation are signs of another problem.

I just wanted to warn you, because the knock sensor will cause the engine to go failsafe, resulting in a loss of power, but it won't cause sputtering or rough running.

hardwired
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Okay, first things first, if you have a faulty knock sensor, you need to correct that, because it puts the supercharger into bypass, dropping the boost to about 1-2psi. So, yes the truck will feel mech better when it doesn't have the knock sensor code in the system.

BUT!

When the truck is in bypass, it still purrs like a kitten, you just get a bit of a rattling noise from the supercharger. It should still run normally when bypassing, you just don't have the boost anymore. (I drove thousands of miles with a faulty knock sensor, and never had a problem, other than no boost.)

Sputtering and hesitation are signs of another problem.

I just wanted to warn you, because the knock sensor will cause the engine to go failsafe, resulting in a loss of power, but it won't cause sputtering or rough running.

really doesnt run rough, it sputters slightly at 4000 rpm and the loss of power before replacing the plugs was between 3500 and 5000 rpm. remove the code and the sputter is almost non existent and there is no loss of power. i am looking for the sputter though she didnt even notice even before i removed the code. i know i need to replace the sensor, i was looking to see if it would feel better and take if i erased the code. once i replace the sensor im sure that it wont be an issue.

Shepherd
11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Well, I hope that a new knock sensor and maybe some seafoam will have it running like a charm for you.

Good luck man, a lot of people on here will recommend that you relocate the knock sensor to a different spot on the engine, but myself and another member, The Hammer, have had problems with external interference when trying to relocate the KS, and found that it needed to go back on top of the block, to protect it from noise and electromagnetic interference.

mac11
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
I disagree with making the assumption it needs a new knock sensor or that the sensor needs to be relocated without further testing.

There is generally a reason the KS gets set and it's that reason that needs to be diagnosed and fixed.

Shepherd
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
But P0328 is knock sensor high voltage code, which happens because the resistance of the knock sensor circuit has increased.

P0328 is a sensor fault code thrown when the computer detects that the KS is not functioning properly. P0325 is the code thrown when the computer detects frequent activity from the knock sensor, either from interference or from an actual knock.

mac11
11-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I didn't know there was a distinction between the 2 conditions. carry on. nothing to see here.

Shepherd
11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
No worries Mac, and besides, I wholeheartedly agree that you need to be thorough in testing these things. The knock sensor is an expensive, time consuming replacement, and not to be taken lightly.

So the appropriate course of action would be to make damn sure that the knock sensor is faulty, then replace as necessary. Don't just replace it for peace of mind.

Trailz
05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread - it helped me out!
I was having the same problems... & solved them because of the info found in this thread!

After getting an oil change at the local Valvoline, my engine had no more power (HP)... they had checked the air filter.... I thought some dirt had gone in the engine & it was dying!!! I was already planning on spending another 2k for the engine... BUT NO!!!!! a simple but thorough clean, a new air filter & reset the P0325 code & it's running as good as ever!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Shepherd
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Good to hear, Trailz. Happy to help :thumbup: