pulling a trailer [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: pulling a trailer

json3904
11-19-2006, 11:59 AM
i installed the hitch the other day, install went great no problems. ricer-x hit his hands on my bumber he smashed his thumb, and he cant blame it on the beer cause he just started drinking. lol..... But thats not the problem i hooked up to a trailer today and when i was going down the road 65-70 i tried to put the cruise controll on and it wouldnt enguage. the green light on the dash came on, when you push the switch next to the rear wiper but the cruise light on the cluster pannel wont come on. dose the xterra have a override for the cruise control not to work when pulling a trailer??????? im going to drop trailer and try it agine but i just used it on the way to pick up the trailer........

Ricer-X
11-19-2006, 12:26 PM
i dont think you should use it anyway, i think it would constantly be downshifting, like using cruise control going up a really really long steep hill.

but i dont know, that just sounds like it makes sense to me.
there are plenty peeps on here that haul in their x's and im sure one of them will post in not too long

json3904
11-19-2006, 12:59 PM
well im gonna drive for 10.5 hrs and i was looking forward to the cruise control, but i guess it would make sense that it would keep downshifting but this is the first vehicle that i have seen that wont let you put the cruise control on while you drive with the trailer. at my work we use 1 tons for f-350 and they will go into cruise when we pull our rigs and they weigh alot, but oh well thats ford.

unclehardrock
11-19-2006, 02:08 PM
i drive a 2nd gen x, and use it to haul a 6x10 enclosed trailer for my bikes. i don't have cruise control on my rig though, so i cant really help as to whether or not it won't allow you to haul with it on. but, i'm going to have to go with what ricer x said, it would be a pain going up hills. my x is a 6 spd, and i have to drop it into 5th to haul up hills most of the time on the highway. if i had cruise control on, it would disengage as soon as i dropped the clutch down. i did haul it 2600 miles across the country....you'll get used to not having the cruise on after a bit...my only guess as to what can be going on with your x is that something in the wiring harness is tripping the cruise control and thinking you're tapping your brakes or something, which will usually disengage the cruise. try pulling your trailer on a back road with the wiring harness unhooked and see if the cruise will work....just watch out for traffic since none of the trailer lights will work. at least then you'll be able to tell if it's a wiring problem

-john

json3904
11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Well earlier i had to reground the trailer my grandfather told me the parking lights worked, but when i hooked them up none worked. i got it home and started troubleshooting and found the ground not even hooked up. I regrounded the trailer and all lights work. I just went to the store and tried the cruise control and it worked. then i talked to my dad and he told me that maybe the trailer is wired diffrent due to fords and chevy's being diffrent...... i checked the lights all work like they should. now here is what i think happened when i hooked up the lights the first time due to the trailer not being grounded triped out the system and wouldnt enguage the cruise. well it sounds good so im going with it unless somebody has had the problem and can shed some light on it. tommoroww i plan on hooking it back up since i got the wiring fixed and seeing what it dose.... The good thing about the drive is that its all flat land, no major hill to climb so the cruise should work fine but i guess i wont know till i make the drive, ill let yall know how it goes.

Anthony
11-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Sounds like problem solved. That is interesting though... that the cruise didn't work because of a bad trailer ground..

Anthony
11-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I just checked the manual... no information regarding towing and cruise control being related at all... so I guess it's just a weird quirk.

json3904
11-19-2006, 08:09 PM
i dont know but after i pull it in the morning, and if everything works right then im gonna take the ground off agine and see what will happen.

Anthony
11-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, i wonder if it will cut out again when you take the ground back off.

json3904
11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
i dont know didnt get a chance to try it out i got off of work to late but next chance i get ill see what happen's.

mud man
11-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I have a 05 off road. I pull a 16 foot boat and also a 6x10 enclosed trailer. I most recently drove 250 miles with the 6x10 enclosed trailer - mostly interstate with the cruise on. Speed set at 75mph. No problems using the cruise. I was actually quite satisfied with the way it towed. The only disappointment was 12mpg.

json3904
11-24-2006, 10:20 PM
alright i made the trip, 650 miles 3 tanks of gas and 10.5 hrs later i made it with no problems what so ever!!!!! pulled great AND I HAD CRUISE CONTROL, so i guess it was the ground messing with my lights. thanks for the help everyone.