my tires are squealing when i take corners [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: my tires are squealing when i take corners

phil7214
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
i dont know why but maybe someone here can help me... every time i take a sharp turn or at a faster speed my tires are squeeking all the way around even thou its not nearly fast enough to loose control or anything... does anyone else experience this... is it normal or is something wrong??

json3904
06-22-2009, 11:55 PM
slow down cause the sound you hear is the tires about to loose traction...

granitex
06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Also check your tire pressure, some tires when under inflated will do that.

TJTJ
06-23-2009, 06:34 AM
There are so many variables...

What size, load range and make/model of tire, the PSI, your alignment, just how fast you're going under what conditions, increasing radius or decreasing radius, asphalt or concrete, etc....

Lets start with the tires, what are all the specs you know of, make, model, size, load range and PSI you're running them at?

:D

Ricer-X
06-23-2009, 07:50 AM
my tires squeal on paint stripes, manhole covers, and super smooth concrete

but damn json beat me too it, i was gonna say slow down, bc, well, its the logical first reply to a thread like this anywhere on the internet

so phil, you are saying that this happens under normal driving conditions? or when you are driving recklessly considering it s high rollover risk vehicle

baf6
06-23-2009, 07:51 AM
slow down
get new tires

problem solved

jasonk
06-23-2009, 08:07 AM
mine squeal a bit too, at speeds far from dangerous. The X is heavy and it puts alot of stress on the tires in turns. No biggie.

TJTJ
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
He said he's not cornering too fast...

Tire squeal = scrub

Scrub = problem.

The problem is not SUPPOSED to occur at reasonable speeds (g-forces).

Scrubbing can occur due to an alignment problem/deficiency, poor and/or inappropriate tires, incorrect tire pressure Too low, or, too high), and so forth.

The higher the forces involved, the more it will magnify problems above.

Heck, we might find he's in 4-lo on dry pavement, etc.

Ricer-X
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
lol, that would suck

mine also squeal when i drive over old tar splatter going around a corner

TJTJ
06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
lol, that would suck

mine also squeal when i drive over old tar splatter going around a corner

Notice that the examples of salient squeals are on surfaces with a lower coefficient of friction, such as painted lines, tar patches, etc?

This is because the tire's effective grip is partly comprised of the tire's properties, and partly the substrate's.

So, while all is fine when the substrate is comprised of normal friction cohorts, on low cohorts, such as on a painted section, the tire's grip is compromised, and a slip angle is generated at a lower lateral acceleration point.

This magnifies what would normally be a sub-manifested condition.

Ricer-X
06-23-2009, 09:12 AM
lol @ your all your big words

ill just say, smoother the surface, more likely to squeal

like dane cook said about the parking garage in the galleria here in houston, driving thru it 5mph sounds like a chase scene from chips

StellerX
06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
lol @ your all your big words

ill just say, smoother the surface, more likely to squeal

like dane cook said about the parking garage in the galleria here in houston, driving thru it 5mph sounds like a chase scene from chips

Dane cook is hilarious that is a great act.

My tires squeal when I park in my drive way lol

Also when I turn real sharp in my driveway to manuever out a loud clunk noise comes from the front axle. any thoughts?

TJTJ
06-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Also when I turn real sharp in my driveway to manuever out a loud clunk noise comes from the front axle. any thoughts?

Dane Cook is a riot...and, the clunk is probably a front sway bar bushing play issue....rather than the front axle.

(Esp because you don't have much front axle to clunk...just a diff with half shafts on either end, etc.)

Check out the front sway bar - There are two bushings that hold it at the cross member, they can ream out over time, allowing progressively more play....and, look at the two end link bushings that go to the Lower Control Arm....they can get whittled down to spikes if allowed to wear out.

If any of the above look like they are worn out, its VERY likely that that is your noise source on turns...as that's when they WOULD make noise. (When the two sides are under different torque...)

It can be other, more expensive stuff too...but its best to start cheap, and work up.

json3904
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM

look at the turn stops they prob need a little grease..

Jmac289GT
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Notice that the examples of salient squeals are on surfaces with a lower coefficient of friction, such as painted lines, tar patches, etc?

This is because the tire's effective grip is partly comprised of the tire's properties, and partly the substrate's.

So, while all is fine when the substrate is comprised of normal friction cohorts, on low cohorts, such as on a painted section, the tire's grip is compromised, and a slip angle is generated at a lower lateral acceleration point.

This magnifies what would normally be a sub-manifested condition.
:aufkopfhauen-big:

phil7214
06-24-2009, 12:59 AM
ya im not driving nearly fast enough for a roll over... it even happens when im doing a u turn and my weels are cranked all the way around... i read somewere that the xterra is known for a really stiff front end or something like that but i dont know if it would cause this problem...

TJTJ
06-24-2009, 07:37 AM
ya im not driving nearly fast enough for a roll over... it even happens when im doing a u turn and my weels are cranked all the way around... i read somewere that the xterra is known for a really stiff front end or something like that but i dont know if it would cause this problem...

The turn stop bolt grease recommended above is a good call....if the clunk is at full lock, that's the most likely suspect actually....if it happens on the transition part of the turn, the swaybars are more suspect.

Both are very common, and easy to fix.

Check both...and report back.